Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 02:22 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times

Advertisements

What city in the world meets your standard of perfect and if you don't believe there is a such thing as a perfect city, what city in the world comes the closest to it?

Pretty simple question.

Me personally, I would go with Barcelona. It has perfect scenery, perfect weather, and perfect urban environment to go with an astounding food scene, nightlife scene, outdoor recreation scene, and social scene. The city is top notch architecturally, by public transport, by the feel and liveliness of the pedestrian experience, and lots of smart and good looking people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2017, 02:51 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
I'd say London for me. I love Europe and it is right on the doorstep. Love concerts and gigs and comedy shows. Just a good fit for me but after trying London for a few months money catches up. I'd need money in this perfect world and lots of it.

Old 03-03-2017, 03:23 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,434,616 times
Sydney is the first that comes to my mind. But it seems that its suburbs are too boring according to some relates. Is it true that there are no supermarkets and malls open in the evening?

Old 03-03-2017, 03:50 PM

412 posts, read 509,756 times
London or New York City. While far from perfect, they are at least closer to it than others.

London, what makes it not perfect:

- Too humid and cloudy
- The nice areas have literally turned into Saudi Arabia
- The quality of the apartment buildings are very poor in general, even the expensive ones

New York City, what makes it not perfect:

- The "posh" areas aren't really posh. They are nice and expensive, but they are still settled by Americans. You won't be greeted with "Sir" here.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:18 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
London, what makes it not perfect:

- Too humid
How
London too humid? I bet you never visited the tropics.
I love humidity makes my skin glow, if i don't get it my skin looks really dry and old.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:41 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,168 times
Any metropolitan area over half-a-million is just too big for me outside of visiting. I would never live in a huge City like the one I do now if my career didn't demand it.

If money or career wasn't an issue, and I simply had the money to retire any place I wanted to be, I would probably go with Santa Barbara California.

Since I won't have the money to ever retire comfortably in coastal southern California, we're planning on retiring in coastal south Texas where we will actually be able to buy a waterfront dream home on a canal. Yeah, the humidity sucks, but there's something to be said about having a large fishing boat ready to go docked behind your house.

Old 03-03-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
How
London too humid? I bet you never visited the tropics.
I love humidity makes my skin glow, if i don't get it my skin looks really dry and old.
London's humidity is just as high or higher than tropic capitals like Bangkok or Jakarta. Only difference is that it's cooler. Same goes for all of Northern Europe.

New York City is a much drier city. Just compare today's weather in both. London had an 88% relative humidity while NYC had 49%.

Personally I get allergies from humidity so I prefer it dry.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:01 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayVanderbilt View Post
London's humidity is just as high or higher than tropic capitals like Bangkok or Jakarta. Only difference is that it's cooler. Same goes for all of Northern Europe.
Then why do i have less dry skin and zits in Thailand compared to the Netherlands? More sunshine and less stress?

Old 03-03-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Then why do i have less dry skin and zits in Thailand compared to the Netherlands? More sunshine and less stress?
Well the dew point is still higher in Thailand, so that also has an effect. So in Thailand when it's hot there definitely is more water in total in the air, but not relatively if that makes sense. But yeah swimming in the ocean, being in the sun etc. definitely has an effect. My skin always becomes great when I go to the beach.

Old 03-03-2017, 06:41 PM

375 posts, read 297,004 times
Visited here about two years ago.

I was more blown away and amazed at this city's beauty and charm and mystery than any place I have ever been to in over thirty years on this planet. Words do not describe..........

10 Dazzling Photos That Are Proof Prague Is Europe's Prettiest City | The Huffington Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World