Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2017, 09:27 AM

990 posts, read 882,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Powerful? -I thought we were talking wealth.

Natural resources are relative to the population of the country, and aren't necessary for wealth generation anyway.

Raise the per capita GDP, and get those poor folks decent paying jobs, and then I will view Brazil as a wealthier country.

That's all I was saying.

Second paragraph is true, but not sure how that ties into opportunities that Brazil can offer- kiwis aren't heading to Brazil for the opportunities
Kiwis are in the Anglosphere with Australia close but people from developed Latin countries in the same level than New Zealand as Portugal, Spain or Italia is very normal find here, came hundreds of thousands in this decade.

Brazil is wealthy country when compared with most third world countries.

https://www.economist.com/news/busin...-new-new-world
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 09:34 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,332,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoFinatto View Post
Very interesting. Considering the nominal values, americans are more than 7 times wealthier than mexicans. Considering the PPP, they are a little less than 4 times wealthier than mexicans. Still pretty much wealthier, but the PPP is more realistic.

If an american sees only the nominal values, he will think that mexicans (and brazilians, colombians etc.) are dying of starvation right know.
Which is why it's important to use PPP. People be like "omg those poor Latin people only earn $20 a day they must be starving!" when in reality 20 dollars in certain parts of Latin America go very far. In countries like Peru or Colombia you can get a good lunch for $3 and buy an obscene amount of fruit, so $20 is more than enough to sustain yourself. The difficulty comes in when you want to buy electronics or American fashion, but for daily needs it's enough to live comfortably on

Old 09-13-2017, 10:17 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Which is why it's important to use PPP. People be like "omg those poor Latin people only earn $20 a day they must be starving!" when in reality 20 dollars in certain parts of Latin America go very far. In countries like Peru or Colombia you can get a good lunch for $3 and buy an obscene amount of fruit, so $20 is more than enough to sustain yourself. The difficulty comes in when you want to buy electronics or American fashion, but for daily needs it's enough to live comfortably on
well said. I laugh at those all-loving liberal for accusing evil sweat shops for paying a mere $3 an hour to Chinese factory workers too. They are so living in their bubble. In many places in China $3 could buy you two good meals for the day. In many smaller cities rent is like $80 a month and a middle school teach hardly makes $200 a month, and they talk as if people are starving for making $3 an hour.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:59 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,332,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
well said. I laugh at those all-loving liberal for accusing evil sweat shops for paying a mere $3 an hour to Chinese factory workers too. They are so living in their bubble. In many places in China $3 could buy you two good meals for the day. In many smaller cities rent is like $80 a month and a middle school teach hardly makes $200 a month, and they talk as if people are starving for making $3 an hour.
$3 is a decent salary in many developing countries, but Im not in love with the idea of sweatshops either. For one many Western sweatshops create a monopsony, and also it is not good for the developing countries themselves. All those car companies moving south of the border do not have the interests of the Mexican people at heart. Developing countries should focus on entrepreneurship, and developing their own businesses and companies. Just look at Chile, Chileans are opening up tons of their own businesses and that is what makes their country so successful. They are not just waiting around waiting for American corporations to create jobs, rather they are creating their own jobs

Old 09-13-2017, 11:21 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
Quote:
$3 is a decent salary in many developing countries, but Im not in love with the idea of sweatshops either. For one many Western sweatshops create a monopsony, and also it is not good for the developing countries themselves. All those car companies moving south of the border do not have the interests of the Mexican people at heart. Developing countries should focus on entrepreneurship, and developing their own businesses and companies. Just look at Chile, Chileans are opening up tons of their own businesses and that is what makes their country so successful. They are not just waiting around waiting for American corporations to create jobs, rather they are creating their own jobs
Those who constantly mock "sweat shops" don't understand a simple fact: the alternative of sweat shops is worse - going back to the countryside and be farmers generation after generation with no hope. And being a farmer in a poor country is not the same thing as being one in South France.

I hope those who live in liberal bubbles should save their money on lattes and Paris trips and visit the poor countries they pretend to care about -- wait, they don't really care. They just need to feel morally superior.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
China keeps his currency artificially devaluated to get advantage in exports, because that the wages are so low in dollars, but is not that low in purchase power. Most developing countries do that

Old 09-13-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I never thought Colombia exports so much Petroleum 56% of his exports is petroleum related

https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/inde...rt_Treemap.jpg

Old 09-14-2017, 04:40 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,304,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
which effectively makes NZ a wealthier country.

No it does not....at all....nonsense.

By per capita GDP ranking (IMF and World Bank), Ireland (#4) ranks higher than the US (#7)...is Ireland a wealthier country than the US??....laughable indeed....

Last edited by saturno_v; 09-14-2017 at 05:01 AM..

Old 09-14-2017, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Powerful? -I thought we were talking wealth.
I used the world "powerful" in economic terms and, yes, Brazil is a also a powerful country militarily and in terms of world political influence compared to NZ...

Quote:
Raise the per capita GDP, and get those poor folks decent paying jobs, and then I will view Brazil as a wealthier country.
I give up....again, per capita GDP is a standalone statistical number largely useless....read my previous example, by per capita GDP Ireland ranks higher than the US..so Ireland is a wealthier than the US right??

Quote:
Second paragraph is true, but not sure how that ties into opportunities that Brazil can offer- kiwis aren't heading to Brazil for the opportunities
Neither professional Brazilians to NZ......

As I have already mentioned, even the flow of uneducated illegal Mexicans to the US has steadily slowed during the years and in some instance actually reversed....if poor uneducated Latin Americans showed less economic interest for the US you can imagine if professionals from the same areas are interested in NZ....

Old 09-14-2017, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVANGELISTTI View Post
Kiwis are in the Anglosphere with Australia close but people from developed Latin countries in the same level than New Zealand as Portugal, Spain or Italia is very normal find here, came hundreds of thousands in this decade.

Brazil is wealthy country when compared with most third world countries.

https://www.economist.com/news/busin...-new-new-world
By many measurement Brazil is a first world nation...

You are right, there is an active immigration to Brazil from Latin American countries and also from first world countries with similar culture (Portugal, Italy, Spain and even France)

Anglos tend to stick to their own culture if they choose to emigrate in another country and they do have a lot of excellent choices with a lot of opportunities in the Anglosphere before having to move to a country with a very different culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World