Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 02:12 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,413,646 times

Advertisements

I would refuse to live anywhere in East Asia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 02:46 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,715,400 times
I would end the relationship if my partner had to move a large number of countries... if that person is so selfish to put their career first over love, then it's not worth it IMO. I would never put a job over a relationship. I would quit the job first.
If by not going abroad to a country I don't want to go, I would go to jail then I would choose a local prison instead.

Old 03-31-2018, 04:12 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,214,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I would end the relationship if my partner had to move a large number of countries... if that person is so selfish to put their career first over love, then it's not worth it IMO. I would never put a job over a relationship. I would quit the job first.
If by not going abroad to a country I don't want to go, I would go to jail then I would choose a local prison instead.
You didn't get it. This is about your wife being removed for her (and your) safety, under threat of being killed. Not just saying my boss wants to transfer me to Timbuctoo. I assumed that everyone pretty well understood what the witness protection program is.

Old 03-31-2018, 04:17 PM

130,460 posts, read 12,130,332 times
China, North Korea, & anywhere in the middle east. ( although middle eastern food is my favorite)

Old 03-31-2018, 04:52 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,715,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
You didn't get it. This is about your wife being removed for her (and your) safety, under threat of being killed. Not just saying my boss wants to transfer me to Timbuctoo. I assumed that everyone pretty well understood what the witness protection program is.
In that case, I would rather her stay in my home country and get killed then be in some random foreign country I don't want to go to. If she wants to leave, I would not stop her but I would not go if it was a place I didn't want to go. I would rather die than live in a place that I hate.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:01 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,002,632 times
Huh. For the Love Of my Life (LOL, eh?), I would have a harder time finding a place in the US than internationally. You've given the "witness protection program" some pretty cushy details - like no threat to life or limb. I can't see that being realistic in a lot of places.

War zones - Syria. Iraq.

Excessively oppressive dictatorships: Iran, Saudi Arabia, North Korea.

Anarchy: Somalia

Extreme pollution: China's cities.

In those countries, except Saudi and China, I don't see how we could possible be safe. There are other countries where I do not see how one could meet that condition either. But I'd give it a try, most anywhere, except Texas. And there are even some places in Texas I would consider.

But I'm talking about being provided housing, and not having to work. If there had to be employment involved, it could make things much more difficult.

I don't think most of the people who have responded are really thinking "LOL!". I think they are thinking first about work and living circumstances. It's hard not to think of that stuff. And, like I said, a lot of those countries most people wouldn't think are safe, so that cuts them out of the imaginary scenario - they don't believe the scenario is possible.

It's a good thing, tho, that you made it the LOL, because if it was the wife - or the husband - a whole LOT of people would let them go!

Old 03-31-2018, 09:26 PM

OK, adjust the rules, your spouse is sent to a place deemed safe by reasonable standards. which is presumably a given, protection being the operative word. Are there places you still would not go?

Old 04-03-2018, 10:44 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,939,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Let's say, through a quirky accident of fate, your spouse winds up in the witness protection program, and has to be moved to another country, forever, for his/her protection and national security. Which countries would you refuse to go to, giving up your family rather than endure. You would live there in safety, with enough resources to assure a life of dignity and healthy circumstances, and your spouse (for the purposes of this discussion, even if not in real life) someone you love and are devoted to. You're not living in a guarded villa, just becoming a member of the general society.

Are there any countries you'd refuse to accept relocating to, and just kiss your spouse goodbye?

For me, personally, the answer is no, there is no country I would not go to, even just for the heck of it.
Weird question, since you can you be safe without being in a guarded villa in places like Iraq, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Somalia, El Salvador, Honduras, Colombia, South Africa, Venezuela or Guatemala?

Old 04-04-2018, 12:25 AM

The agency sponsoring your witness protection may feel bound to err on the side of caution. Since the purpose is not to protect you from local burglars, but from somebody with a lot of resources who really, really wants to find you and kill you.

But the particulars are rather a side issue. The scenario is that your loved one said "I really, really have to go to this place, No is not an option. Will you come along?"

Old 04-04-2018, 06:06 PM

8,494 posts, read 6,902,842 times
Nowhere. Unconditional love transcends any particular place . When two people know each other in their innermost hearts a particular place is of little or no consequence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World