Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More racially integrated?
U.S 36 53.73%
U.K 31 46.27%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 10:33 AM

12,390 posts, read 8,159,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Islam is a religion. not a race.
However when a local racial minority has a plurality of its population being members of a local minority, or newly emergent faith then we tend to use the terms interchangeably. Sort of like previous American generations would use Buddhist and Asians
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2019, 10:42 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,409,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
However when a local racial minority has a plurality of its population being members of a local minority, or newly emergent faith then we tend to use the terms interchangeably. Sort of like previous American generations would use Buddhist and Asians

That is not the same thing. So in the UK "racism" is a major problem against Muslims but not Sikhs? Not Buddhist or Hindus? Why is that, please explain. Does Islam equate all minorities with brown skin in the UK?

Last edited by UrbanLuis; 02-09-2019 at 11:13 AM..

Old 02-09-2019, 07:53 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times
Quote:
That is not the same thing. So in the UK "racism" is a major problem against Muslims but not Sikhs? Not Buddhist or Hindus? Why is that, please explain. Does Islam equate all minorities with brown skin in the UK?
While what you're saying is accurate, in the real world, people do not stop and think, "wait, this is a religion" when they stereotype Muslims. They have a certain phenotype in mind. While there are Black Muslims and White Muslims with blonde hair and blue eyes, put them next to a brown skinned Muslim, who do you think the anti Muslim crowd are going to target? Jewish is also a religion not a race but people speak of it as if it were a race. In real world situations, what's accurate is largely irrelevant. People will behave based on what they themselves believe.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:03 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
I’m has to be more integrated because large numbers of Black Americans and White Americans live in heavily black or heavily white neighborhoods. I grew up in Boston in the black community and did not know white people lived in Boston proper in large number until I was a teen.

In large urban areas in the US where black culture is created-Blacks go to schools that are 85-95% Black and Hispanic.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:05 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,077,968 times
To simplify it, London is more racially integrated than any U.S City period. But the rest of the U.K which only has minorities on the scale of Midwestern America isn't really diverse enough for you to claim that U.K's more integrated society is a result of the society rather than the lack of minorities. My argument is because London at 60% white is as diverse as most U.S metro areas, the future of the U.K as minorities likely hit 20% of the country and 30% of England is that it will be significantly more integrated than the U.S.

Old 02-09-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I’m has to be more integrated because large numbers of Black Americans and White Americans live in heavily black or heavily white neighborhoods. I grew up in Boston in the black community and did not know white people lived in Boston proper in large number until I was a teen.

In large urban areas in the US where black culture is created-Blacks go to schools that are 85-95% Black and Hispanic.
I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:49 AM

12,390 posts, read 8,159,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here.
I get it. Like the OP grew up in segregated Boston with an X percentage of Black people I grew up in segregated Los Angeles with 10% Black people. Aside from school teachers I did not know a non Black or Asian person by name until I enlisted in the Army. And still in this century most of the 9% Black population actually live in 95% Black and Latino local neighborhoods.

What has changed is that when a Black family lives outside of the ethnic ghetto the block is no longer busted and the White folks don't sell their homes and flee in fear of the daughter ending up with a Black man or their property values dropping. I guess so that their children might inherit less when they sell off their now dead parents house and split the assets. However now a new generation of White folk are willing to live in "Black areas". But since no Black folks are fleeing areas like Whites did during the second half of the last century those segregated housing patterns and local schools will remain for a couple of more generations. And if you are largely segregated area can you say that you are integrated society even if the overall city or congressional district racial demographic reports suggest that you are?

Old 02-10-2019, 07:49 AM

7,363 posts, read 8,409,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
While what you're saying is accurate, in the real world, people do not stop and think, "wait, this is a religion" when they stereotype Muslims. They have a certain phenotype in mind. While there are Black Muslims and White Muslims with blonde hair and blue eyes, put them next to a brown skinned Muslim, who do you think the anti Muslim crowd are going to target? Jewish is also a religion not a race but people speak of it as if it were a race. In real world situations, what's accurate is largely irrelevant. People will behave based on what they themselves believe.

I hear what you're saying but if it is its not about religion, the poster should have said their is racism in the UK towards all brown people. I imagine other religions are just as discriminated. Hindus, Sikhs and Buddhist can be pretty brown also.

I have read on here several times that London is a very anti muslim place. I guess that just means it is a very antibrown place. It is good to know these things so I make sure never to go there since I am also brown.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I get it. Like the OP grew up in segregated Boston with an X percentage of Black people I grew up in segregated Los Angeles with 10% Black people. Aside from school teachers I did not know a non Black or Asian person by name until I enlisted in the Army. And still in this century most of the 9% Black population actually live in 95% Black and Latino local neighborhoods.

What has changed is that when a Black family lives outside of the ethnic ghetto the block is no longer busted and the White folks don't sell their homes and flee in fear of the daughter ending up with a Black man or their property values dropping. I guess so that their children might inherit less when they sell off their now dead parents house and split the assets. However now a new generation of White folk are willing to live in "Black areas". But since no Black folks are fleeing areas like Whites did during the second half of the last century those segregated housing patterns and local schools will remain for a couple of more generations. And if you are largely segregated area can you say that you are integrated society even if the overall city or congressional district racial demographic reports suggest that you are?
Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification

Old 02-10-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I hear what you're saying but if it is its not about religion, the poster should have said their is racism in the UK towards all brown people. I imagine other religions are just as discriminated. Hindus, Sikhs and Buddhist can be pretty brown also.

I have read on here several times that London is a very anti muslim place. I guess that just means it is a very antibrown place. It is good to know these things so I make sure never to go there since I am also brown.
Ok, understood and I think you're right. I think in London there is more hostility toward brown people than black people. Even in a few parts of the US, I think this may also be true, at least recently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World