Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More racially integrated?
U.S 36 53.73%
U.K 31 46.27%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 07:18 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
I find Aussies and Brits to be quite different in terms of what they're willing to be talkative or open about. But the whole issues of ethnicity, race and diversity is something the average Aussie is quite sensitive to. Why? If you're not an immigrant yourself, have a parent who is, or have grandparents who were/are, you're actually in a comparatively small demographic.
While this is no doubt true demographically, I am not sure that there is always an automatic, direct correlation with political and societal views.

Children and grandchildren of immigrants in the new world don't automatically reject contemporary anti-immigration rhetoric as they don't see themselves as immigrants. And they most definitely don't see that type of rhetoric as a threat to them personally. They're "landed".

If you're a second or third generation Australian with people born in the UK, Italy, Greece or even Lebanon not too far back in the family tree, you won't necessarily feel kinship with refugees from God-knows-where on boats in the Indian Ocean or FOB battler immigrants from Bangladesh living in scuzzy apartments in Sydney's "West".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 07:25 AM

27,576 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I don't know, there are millions of 'non-whites' of all denominations in the UK, I get the feeling that the diversity of the UK (specifically but not exclusively England) is somewhat under estimated 'over there', not just diversity of skin colour either! The South West or far North are probably the least diverse places in the country. I don't live in a city but I do live in the SE of the UK (between London and Brighton), if I could show you my daughters school photograph you would get an idea as to just how diverse her class is - I genuinely think it would surprise you somewhat, that's one reason why I think that none of us can really appreciate 'race relations' in each others countries, I did work with a French woman of Ghanaian heritage that told me racism was a lot worse in France but even then it could have perhaps just been her own unfortunate experience..............she now lives and works in Germany.
It's the same way in the U.S. People from all over the world live here.

The overarching categories that most people are classified in are white, black, hispanic and asian. But it's a complicated picture when you get down to the details.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:26 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,047,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
It's the same way in the U.S. People from all over the world live here.

The overarching categories that most people are classified in are white, black, hispanic and asian. But it's a complicated picture when you get down to the details.
And of course, people like Casey Kasem and Ralph Nader are considered "white" under this system.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:12 AM

35,082 posts, read 17,033,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Its a nice propaganda that's spread about the US. There is race problem everywhere, its much better in US than anywhere else.
See Racially Integrated Society - Is the U.S. Doing Well in Unique Experiment? I argue there that the U.S. is doing quite well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
If there was no integration, you wouldn't have so many stars that you see in NBA, NFL or Athletics.
Heck, you even have a Jewish MVP in the Super Bowl.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:25 AM

170 posts, read 72,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Exactly, thank you.
Okay, now keep reading, try and make it through the first sentence at least. Embarrassing attempt at taking a comment out of context

Old 02-06-2019, 09:30 AM

One thing I've noticed is that America seems to be the only developed country where black and white people sound different. In the UK I'd struggle to telling what colour skin somebody has just by hearing their voice down the telephone.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:13 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossiblyIndecisive View Post
Okay, now keep reading, try and make it through the first sentence at least. Embarrassing attempt at taking a comment out of context
The rest of it is unimportant rambling. You stated all that needed to be said in that first sentence.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:15 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossiblyIndecisive View Post
One thing I've noticed is that America seems to be the only developed country where black and white people sound different. In the UK I'd struggle to telling what colour skin somebody has just by hearing their voice down the telephone.
Yep, to the point to where when you come across someone like me who does not speak AAVE, we get told that we "sound white". Most idiotic thing about the race identification in this country.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
The rest of it is unimportant rambling. You stated all that needed to be said in that first sentence.
Nah, you were simply tunnel-visioned towards what you wanted to hear and/or were willing to accept. The echo-chambers on Reddit are probably more your scene

Old 02-06-2019, 10:41 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
The US for sure. But the UK is no slouch either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World