Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 05:34 AM

290 posts, read 179,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
I did say England as well though.
Absolutely, French architecture is completely different from English one, you can tell that those Sydney homes are very English in influence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2019, 05:40 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,963,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backpaker View Post
It's interesting that you see it like that.

The suburban Sydney area that the other poster think looks like California looks more like the American South to me.

On the other hand the area of Brisbane that you show that you think looks like the American South makes me think of Hawaii rather.
Because the houses in Brisbane ("Queensland Architecture", as they're called) reminded me of those fancy types in Southern US (whatever you call those):

Queensland architecture:

Typical two storey homes in Sydney:

Two storey homes in SoCal:

Old 11-15-2019, 05:42 AM

290 posts, read 179,662 times
Why are Australian cities so suburban, can you live in Australia without a car?

Old 11-15-2019, 05:46 AM

Quote:
It's a bit difficult living without a car (as they're very convenient), but you can manage. There are bus stops all around us. I do not drive and don't usually have such difficulties. But with some places, I do not need someone to drive me there, as buses or trains don't reach there. We do suck with public transport.

Old 11-15-2019, 03:58 PM

42 posts, read 24,183 times
What of our hilly McMansions?

https://www.google.com/maps/@-33.821...i6656?hl=en-AU[/quote]

Those newer housing estate type houses look more like a sleek version of American McMansions. The American ones are usually bigger in size and on bigger plots of land.

I think this is more similar to the Australian ones. https://www.familyhandyman.com/smart...-the-mcmodern/

Old 11-15-2019, 04:19 PM

42 posts, read 24,183 times
Quote:
Australian cities follow the same North American model of having a small core downtown and miles and miles of single family houses flowing outwards from it. This has probably to do with the Australian desire to live in a large detached house with a backyard, and seeing other housing options as sub-par.

I will say though that the public transport is decent in the major capital cities. If you live near a rail corridor it is possible to live without a car, although it will be less convenient.

Old 11-15-2019, 08:15 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,398,000 times
Quote:
Yep. Looks like something out of England or France. To be fair though, only the inner suburbs have that quaint "Victorian" look. Outside in the suburbs, Sydney will gradually start to look more like Southern California.

https://www.google.com/maps/@-33.883...i6656?hl=en-AU

How's San Diego? If I ever move to the US, I'd probably live in San Diego.

I know. I was being a little mordant, to show off how 'diverse' Sydney can be architecturally. Because it's not all akin to Southern California, as what people here make it out to be. But yeah, a fair share of Sydney, namely the western suburbs, is more similar to SoCal.

What of our hilly McMansions?
Actually, this picture could easily pass for somewhere in Northern San Diego County including north SD city which extends into North County. I can think of several areas that could pass as including the Eucalyptus trees which we have in abundance as well of course as the palm trees.

Scripps Ranch comes to mind

https://images.app.goo.gl/iUt9x4YGThVmcA8o7

Old 11-15-2019, 09:40 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,504,251 times
Quote:
Possibly because the suburds were mostly built after world war 2. Its certranly possible to live in an Australian city without a car, i did so myself for a decade in Brisbane. Though now we have two kids and moved further out, it became far more essential. I still get the bus to work everyday howver.

Old 11-16-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Actually, this picture could easily pass for somewhere in Northern San Diego County including north SD city which extends into North County. I can think of several areas that could pass as including the Eucalyptus trees which we have in abundance as well of course as the palm trees.

Scripps Ranch comes to mind

https://images.app.goo.gl/iUt9x4YGThVmcA8o7
I was watching a San Diego YouTuber, who lives in Poway. And I noticed how much eucalyptus trees the area has. I was rather surprised. Why were they planted there though?

Old 11-17-2019, 06:09 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,966,431 times
Quote:
Because the houses in Brisbane ("Queensland Architecture", as they're called) reminded me of those fancy types in Southern US (whatever you call those):

Queensland architecture:

Typical two storey homes in Sydney:

Two storey homes in SoCal:
That Queenslander and that plantation do look a lot alike!

However, that two storey home in "SoCal" is actually in Naples, Florida (I searched it up). Two story homes in SoCal look like this:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...74082269308347

The luxury SoCal homes look like this:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...74082327233621

I've never been to Australia, but based on the pics, Sydney's master planned suburbs seem more modern/contemporary architecture while SoCal's new homes try to imitate Italian/Spanish architecture, although we have some contemporary tract home architecture, too:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...74082327233621

This last one, I think, looks most like Sydney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World