Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2019, 04:42 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,383,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
I was watching a San Diego YouTuber, who lives in Poway. And I noticed how much eucalyptus trees the area has. I was rather surprised. Why were they planted there though?
Two reasons; in Northern California, it was believed they would make good lumber. They used a rather large species of Bluegum that can grow up to 100 feet tall.

In Southern California that was part of it but the main reason is that they are a large tree that is drought tolerant. it is another smaller Bluegum species.

Correction, it's the same species in both places but two different subspecies of Eucalyptus globulus. In Northern California, it is the nominate Tasmanian subspecies. In Southern CA. it is either the Southern or spotted subspecies.

Last edited by Gentoo; 11-17-2019 at 04:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 12:44 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 5 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,916,376 times
Oh, wow! Poznan and Lodz in Poland barely have any resemblance to the other, surprisingly. Before visiting, I thought they are twin cities, and then realizing that is not the situation!

Much infinitely further consistent Architecture in Poznan. Very restaurants friendly. Even to Asian cuisine (Thai, Vietnamese, Indian). Must be a recent thing for some major cities, and towns of Poland. In Lodz, took up to 2 or 3 days to really see any restaurants. No other area in Poland came close to that lack of convenience. Very easy in any other major community in the country.

Feels like going from Germany to Belarus from Poznan to Lodz.
500,000 to 800,00 People Live in Poznan. For Lodz, 600,000 to 900,000 native citizens.
The only common similarity is their own exact world class Tram Trolley public transportation networks absolutely always above the ground, and probably essentially for free. And the rides are extremely long on just one line. Quite exotic.

From my own experience, Even nicer than NYC's own usually below the surface, expensive, and quite cramped subways. Not a breathe of fresh air compared to those to be honest.

Some people may believe Bydgoszcz(350,000+), and Szczecin(402,000+) are like Poznan, and Lodz. They could be very alien, too. I bet extremely underrated at least. Poznan is that way. Especially to the foreigners. Other significant cities huge towns. Are there other posters with visiting or living experience over there?

Old 12-24-2019, 11:57 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,592,951 times
Quote:
Why Sydney shouldn't be compared to LA or San Diego:

https://www.google.com/maps/@-33.892...i6656?hl=en-AU

And yes, a lot of the inner suburbs of Sydney look like that. Very "LA-ish", huh?
Looks a lot like suburban UK.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/cA7GnB7eujwaTGKZ7

Old 12-27-2019, 08:48 AM

468 posts, read 615,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I have been told Sydney is a larger Vancouver without the mountains. I have been to both places and just don't see it.
Goodness, no.

Sydney is too large, too populated, too diverse to be Vancouver which seems rather bland and provincial IMO (aside from its impressive geography). Sydney has always seemed like a hybrid between New York-San Fran-Toronto-London with a South Pacific blend. The London comparison rests mainly in the fact that both cities have rather narrow, winding city streets and an abundance of Victorian era architecture. Lots of townhouses around the inner-city based on the London townhouse model but adapted to the Aussie climate with lace wrought iron balconies.

Sometimes I see comparisons between Los Angeles and Melbourne, but a more accurate comparison would be between Melbourne and Chicago (both seem flat, outside of the CBD areas they are rather suburban with lots of sprawl, both have rivers, a similar looking skyline dominated by tall, sleek, narrow & slim skyscrapers).

Quote:

Typical two storey homes in Sydney:

Maybe Sydney's newer residential suburbs look like that, the ones far out in the sprawl, but in my experience a typical Sydney house is more like this:

You also have those old two-storey Sydney terrace houses which look a bit like Toronto's Bay and Gable...

But, as you were illustrating, the typical CONTEMPORARY home in Sydney's suburbs tends to look more like this:

but in the older post-war areas, they may look like this:

In conclusion there's a lot of variation in Sydney's suburban architecture. The inner-city areas tend to have mostly Victorian townhouses. Suburbs around the inner-city not too far away will have post-war architecture like bungalows and ranch style homes, while further out west in the more recent suburbs, particularly in the sprawl, you'll have those unattractive contemporary homes that resemble McMansions...

Last edited by shirleyeve; 12-27-2019 at 09:08 AM..

Old 12-27-2019, 10:19 AM

27,555 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Quote:
Why Sydney shouldn't be compared to LA or San Diego:

https://www.google.com/maps/@-33.892...i6656?hl=en-AU

And yes, a lot of the inner suburbs of Sydney look like that. Very "LA-ish", huh?
All those second-level balconies in Sydney remind me of New Orleans.

https://goo.gl/maps/n5znSnSL617VwvF46

Old 12-27-2019, 10:27 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,014,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
Goodness, no.

Sydney is too large, too populated, too diverse to be Vancouver which seems rather bland and provincial IMO (aside from its impressive geography)...

Sydney is clearly a more fulsome city than Vancouver but I think it's unfair and inaccurate to call the latter bland and provincial.

Old 12-27-2019, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Sydney is clearly a more fulsome city than Vancouver but I think it's unfair and inaccurate to call the latter bland and provincial.
I meant bland in the sense that it is, on the whole, rather uniform architecturally and thus the variety in building styles is low, compared to Sydney's wide range of architectural style, which is not limited to Victorian, Italianette, Queen Anne, Colonial, brutalism and in suburban areas adaptations of the bungalow.

Take this image of Vancouver's skyline for example, all buildings look much the same, like glorified condominiums/apartment buildings:

Sydney is a better fit to Toronto than Vancouver in terms of likeness (it seems more dynamic than Vancouver):

Sydney City Skyline by VSTYLE Photography, on Flickr

Sunrise at Sydney

Australia- SYDNEY skyline-1 by Paco Carbonell, on Flickr

Last edited by shirleyeve; 12-28-2019 at 12:02 AM..

Old 12-28-2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuariodeldia View Post
Not really. I live in Sydney and the downtown has a New York feeling too, but I felt Singapore was similar to NYC in some ways, the only other city gave me a NYC feeling (in a better way too) was London. I didn't feel the same way in other cities I have visited before (Toronto, Bangkok, Melbourne, Buenos Aires)
New York City is often compared to London, but I didn't see any strong resemblance between the two cities, as London's streets are very narrow and curvy, while New York has wide avenues beset by canyons of skyscrapers like Sydney, though Sydney's are generally a little narrower than New York's, but still wider than London's streets. The only similarities between London and New York might be found in the climate, the parks and the architecture.

Overall I think Sydney is probably a better match as a "mini-Manhattan" than London-NYC. London visually is a unique city but at the same time it does still look distinctly European whereas New York looks much like the New World in the same way as Sydney...as though Europe was transported in a different climate with regional adaptations of European architecture (again, like Sydney). I find all "modern" Western cities with European origins (New York, Chicago, Sydney, Melbourne, Toronto, Montreal) have a similar feel.

Old 12-28-2019, 12:54 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,494,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shirleyeve View Post
New York City is often compared to London, but I didn't see any strong resemblance between the two cities, as London's streets are very narrow and curvy, while New York has wide avenues beset by canyons of skyscrapers like Sydney, though Sydney's are generally a little narrower than New York's, but still wider than London's streets. The only similarities between London and New York might be found in the climate, the parks and the architecture.
London and New York are the two leading Anglo cities of the world and part of an elite group of the most important global cities. That’s why they get compared, rather than it being due to a similar aesthetic.

Quote:
Overall I think Sydney is probably a better match as a "mini-Manhattan" than London-NYC. London visually is a unique city but at the same time it does still look distinctly European whereas New York looks much like the New World in the same way as Sydney...as though Europe was transported in a different climate with regional adaptations of European architecture (again, like Sydney). I find all "modern" Western cities with European origins (New York, Chicago, Sydney, Melbourne, Toronto, Montreal) have a similar feel.
Definitely. The biggest difference being that New World cities have a higher concentration of high rises in the CBD.

Old 12-28-2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post

Definitely. The biggest difference being that New World cities have a higher concentration of high rises in the CBD.
Yes, whereas the high rises in London have only sprung up recently, and are still concentrated to a district as per most European major cities (La Defense, Canary Wharf).

New York, and to a lesser extent Sydney, also have high-rises far outside the CBD...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World