Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 03:38 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
In the USA their exists the term African American, to refer to a black person who is a US citizen, either born or immigrated.
In the USA, 'African-American' most commonly (and properly) refers to the black descendants of people who were brought to the US (or the Brititsh colonies that were to become the US) against their will as slaves during the trans-Atlantic slave trade.

Black US citizens who are recent immigrants from Africa are usually referred to by a hyphenation of their country of origin, such as Nigerian-American, Ghanian-American, Kenyan-American, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 03:50 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Sydney has absolutely nothing similar to Vancouver.
Nothing at all?

I am pretty sure both are wealthy, coastal cities with mild climates, a British colonial history, close connections to east Asia, and ingrained Anglocentric culture and language. In the grand scheme of things, they are very similar.

Now split some hairs to show me how wrong I am.

Old 11-05-2019, 05:18 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,409,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
But he said there are no 'African American's' only Africans? It doesn't make sense? Black people in Canada are either Canadian or theyre not? Are we to believe that every black person in Canada was born in Africa!!??
Because African Americans make up an important demographic of Chicago and NYC. A demographic that doesn't exist in Toronto. The vast Majority of Blacks in Toronto are from the Caribbean and Africa and don't make up a large percentage of the city.

Old 11-05-2019, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
In the USA, 'African-American' most commonly (and properly) refers to the black descendants of people who were brought to the US (or the Brititsh colonies that were to become the US) against their will as slaves during the trans-Atlantic slave trade.

Exactly. There is a huge difference culturally between AA's and recent black immigrants and refugees. That was my point.

Old 11-08-2019, 05:23 PM

42 posts, read 24,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
HK is a much more crowded, run-down, polluted, expensive version of Singapore. It has more skyscrapers than any other city in the world. It is MUCH more like NYC than Singapore is like NYC.

You probably come from a city with few, if any, skyscrapers. If so, then any city with a decent amount of skyscrapers is going to look like NYC to you. Shanghai, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Bangkok, etc. are all going to look like NYC to you. That's why saying Singapore is the NYC or Manhattan of Asia is pointless, especially when Singapore is just so much newer, safer, and cleaner than NYC.
After spending time in Singapore and Hong Kong they are more different than I initially thought. Singapore has a year-round hot tropical climate, while Hong Kong has a sub-tropical climate with relatively cool winters. Singapore has a much more diverse local population and a large expatriate people from the all over the world living alongside the locals. Hong Kong in comparison is overwhelmingly Chinese/Cantonese and the expatriate population seems more cut-off from the locals. Also English is very widely spoken in Singapore and Singapore locals tend to be quite bi-lingual. Hong Kong is surprisingly mono-lingual with comparatively few people having good English speaking skills. Hong Kong culture also feels more traditional Cantonese, while Singapore is more pan-Asian and has a more global feel to it. Singapore also has less green spaces to escape to compared to Hong Kong, where something like 70% of the land area is protected forestland. I would also say that Singapore feels a bit wealthier and the standard of living is a bit higher than Hong Kong.

Old 11-08-2019, 11:03 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,963,772 times
Sydney and San Diego.

Sydney is clearly larger and has more skyscrapers, with iconic buildings and European architecture in the inner suburbs. Other than the subtropical climate and maybe the 'dry' vegetation, they're nothing alike.

Old 11-11-2019, 06:10 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Because African Americans make up an important demographic of Chicago and NYC. A demographic that doesn't exist in Toronto. The vast Majority of Blacks in Toronto are from the Caribbean and Africa and don't make up a large percentage of the city.
Are you seriously telling me that black people in Toronto are all African or from the West Indies!!? If that's true then I am genuinly astounded.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:11 AM

290 posts, read 179,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Yeah I hear that a lot. I hear NYC comparisons a lot. I don't really see that much either. What makes a city is the demographics. I would say London is porbably closer to toronto in some ways than those two. Still pretty different. There are no African Americans in Toronto. Most black folks are recent arrivals from the Caribbean and Africa. Very few Latin Americans in Toronto.
Chicago does not have that many Latin American either.

Having Large number of Mexicans in Chicago, does not mean there are many people from all of Latin America in Chicago.

There are very different countries and cultures in Latin America.

I have spent time in Chicago and you can go days without ever coming across anyone from South America, or The Caribbean.

You do however find a substantial amount of people from Mexico.
But once again, having a large number of Mexicans in Chicago doesn't mean there are a lot of people from all over Latin America in Chicago.

Last edited by backpaker; 11-11-2019 at 08:31 AM..

Old 11-11-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Are you seriously telling me that black people in Toronto are all African or from the West Indies!!? If that's true then I am genuinly astounded.
The vast majority are of Carribean or African background. Why is that so hard to believe? It's not like they make up a huge population of the city anyway. There are far more Chinese and Indians in Toronto.

Old 11-11-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpaker View Post
There are not that many Latin Americans in Chicago either.

Having tons of Mexicans does not mean the entirety of Latin America Is represented in Chicago.

I can go days and never encountered a single person from Any Latin American country that is not Mexico in Chicago.
You have probably never been to Chicago Irene. No one ever said the entirety of Latin America was represented there. There is also a significant Puerto Rican, Dominican Ecuadorian and Guatemalan community there. Chicago also has as small but significant Colombian population. Have you ever seen the documentary Cocaine cowboys? The infamous Colombian sicario ''Riverita'' grew up in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World