Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 09:33 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,900,405 times

Advertisements

Guns, people being racists, police brutality, little compassion for others, crumbling infrastructure, too many ghettos, terrible transit, haves have everything have nots have nothing, everybody is a political extremist, millions actually voted for Trump and still support him today, no national health care, arrogance, mass shootings, people are totally ignorant of anything outside of America (Americans barely know American history or geography let along world).

I don't hate America, I love it, But something is wrong. When I travel to other countries, there is something about them that we just don't have here. I'm starting to feel like America is a big fake country. Too many people here are just not what I want to be a part of anymore.

Are all countries like this when you actually live there?

Frustrated with my country right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 09:48 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
The only thing I hate about America is whining leftist morons who have ignorantly convinced themselves that things are so much better in Europe.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:53 AM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
There are 194 other countries in the world. I always tell people to give it a shot somewhere else if they don't like where they currently live. Nothing wrong with that.

But I agree that whining and complaining accomplishes nothing. You can't expect a country to change into something different just because that's what you want it to be.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:58 AM

34,237 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
The only thing I hate about America is whining leftist morons who have ignorantly convinced themselves that things are so much better in Europe.
Exactly, and instead of whining and complaining of having too many Rights, they should go to Europe or elsewhere where they have many fewer rights, liberties and freedoms. These people are too easily brainwashed by the MEDIA.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Exactly, and instead of whining and complaining of having too many Rights, they should go to Europe or elsewhere where they have many fewer rights, liberties and freedoms. These people are too easily brainwashed by the MEDIA.
I barely watch the news at all. I'm also an independent, not a left winger. There is just as much wrong with the right wingers as left wingers.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:19 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Guns, people being racists, police brutality, little compassion for others, crumbling infrastructure, too many ghettos, terrible transit, haves have everything have nots have nothing, everybody is a political extremist, millions actually voted for Trump and still support him today, no national health care, arrogance, mass shootings, people are totally ignorant of anything outside of America (Americans barely know American history or geography let along world).

I don't hate America, I love it, But something is wrong. When I travel to other countries, there is something about them that we just don't have here. I'm starting to feel like America is a big fake country. Too many people here are just not what I want to be a part of anymore.

IDK, OP. Not sure it's a fair comparison. When you travel, you're only passing through. Things may seem placid, but could be completely different, when you stay there a year. For example, you missed all the threads on how the Near-eastern migrants/refugees have turned parts of Europe into hell-in-a-handbasket.

Is the grass greener, somewhere? IDK, Canada? But Canada doesn't want you. Neither do other European countries, unless you have in-demand skills (see their embassy websites for details). Did you have anyplace in particular in mind? New Zealand maybe? Do you speak any foreign languages, or learn languages easily?

See how dreams kind of fall apart, once practical matters are raised?

Old 05-29-2020, 10:28 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,025,201 times
Just move to a country where you like it, not every place is better just 'cause it's not yours. And it really varies since we're all different...example: most people in the world maybe (or the anglophone world) consider French to be a ultra-cool sounding language but in my opinion the moment I hear French (also Russian...) my reaction is: "Oh no Hitler was right!", meanwhile I watched the silly but original 73 questions by Vogue with Donatella Versace and since the interviewer was switching from English to Italian my thoughts were "Italian really sounds amazing".

And it's not just language: google passport policies, work conditions, even if the people where you go like you...e.q.: I watched this super cringey and wtf segment of someone asking what do Chinese people think about black people and some 30% or so had ultra negative views, meanwhile in all parts of Europe 90% of the population isn't hostile about other races.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
IDK, OP. Not sure it's a fair comparison. When you travel, you're only passing through. Things may seem placid, but could be completely different, when you stay there a year. For example, you missed all the threads on how the Near-eastern migrants/refugees have turned parts of Europe into hell-in-a-handbasket.

Is the grass greener, somewhere? IDK, Canada? But Canada doesn't want you. Neither do other European countries, unless you have in-demand skills (see their embassy websites for details). Did you have anyplace in particular in mind? New Zealand maybe? Do you speak any foreign languages, or learn languages easily?

See how dreams kind of fall apart, once practical matters are raised?
That's what I'm thinking. We all have to have our fair share of problems. The USA could really be a better place if we can ever get on the same page.

Old 05-29-2020, 11:17 AM

37,160 posts, read 39,441,390 times
It depends on what about the US bothers you most and what about the US you like most. It's possible there's another country out there that's a better fit--it's also possible that there's another state/city out there that's a better fit. Certainly, some of the things like no national healthcare and degree of gun violence isn't nearly as common in other developed countries (and even many developing ones).

However, there are probably other things that you do like and it's not necessarily the case that you will find what you're looking for there. I've lived abroad in places that honestly seem much better run overall and has far less of the problems or their equivalents you mention, but still ended up in NYC and NYS despite its issues because there are certain things that NYC offered that weren't easy to come by elsewhere. Of course, I complain about the issues here in NYC, but I also try to participate in my local community, and volunteer time and money to causes I believe in which is something I recommend you do as well if you don't currently.

In regards to finding a better place within the US, supposedly two standouts on a state level that generally has less of what you don't like are Hawaii and Massachusetts. I've never lived in either though.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-29-2020 at 11:29 AM..

Old 05-29-2020, 11:58 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,528,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post

Come here to Brazil. You'll find here exactly all of these issues, but hundreds of times worse. Then, you'll start to believe that USA is a paradise.

To be fair, we do have a universal healthcare system, the so-called SUS, but it works so poorly that most of people able to afford a private healthcare insurance, do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World