Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2020, 12:51 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by providence623 View Post
The USA controls the world's media

You have protests over George floyd in Berlin and London

Something locally American and Germans and British protest.

If the same were to happen but in the UK or Germany, I guarantee you no one in America world care. Our media rarely if ever talks about Germany or the UK.

That alone shows you the power of the American media.

Germans are obsessed with us, they even use our lingo and try to sound American when speaking English as if they were American.

The British are even worse, you think we want to be a single political entity with you and brexiteers think we want to join you and make London the capital of America.

The reality is most Americans couldn't locate Germany or the UK on a world map

That shows your who controls who and matters more than who.
Simply put this is complete bollox! How do I know? I'm a Brxiteer! The last thing I would want is to be part of the USA! Good lord it was bad enough being in the EU! The US DOES NOT control the media, what a lot of claptrap! Ive heard plenty of Germans speaking English, and the language they speak when they speak English is................... well its not rocket science is it! The language isn't called American! Go on admit it - you are one of those poeple that thinks the world is 'Americanized' because people drive cars, watch TV and uses computers dont you? :-D

Last edited by easthome; 06-01-2020 at 01:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 01:16 PM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The overwhelming majority are against rioting and looting though that's not the same as people saying the police are doing a great job. There's fairly little rioting and looting overall compared to nonviolent protesting--it's just what gets a lot of news coverage. It's like how people like to say there are just a few bad apples in the police department, but that doesn't mean all police officers should be condemned for the actions of a few. Plus, there's certainly variation in action among different police departments. Some have done great in diffusing the situation.

One good, tangible thing to do regardless of which side one is on is to contribute donations to businesses that have been burned or sacked so that they might rebuild.
I’d say the overall breakdown in opinion is the following:

Conservatives believe that the police do a great job in keeping America safe and cracking down on law-breakers and criminals.

Moderates believe that the police do a fair job but there is a considerable amount of police abuse that occurs as well.

Liberals believe that there is widespread police abuse and it is especially targeted towards blacks and other minorities.

The extreme left believes that rioting and carnage is justified to protest police abuse in America.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:31 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Conservatives believe that the police do a great job in keeping America safe and cracking down on law-breakers and criminals.

Moderates believe that the police do a fair job but there is a considerable amount of police abuse that occurs as well.

Liberals believe that there is widespread police abuse and it is especially targeted towards blacks and other minorities.

The extreme left believes that rioting and carnage is justified to protest police abuse in America.
...and the extreme right?

Old 06-01-2020, 01:31 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Extremism on or off a rigidly linear political spectrum can often think rioting and carnage are fine for various reasons. I think there's also questions about what qualifies as widespread police abuse since widespread can be pretty vague in terms of how often it occurs and to what extent. The vast majority of the protests and protesters so far have not been violent. There are certainly bad actors, and unfortunately they get the majority of the coverage. I think a lot of conservatives think the majority of police do a fine job, but there is still police abuse including what happened with George Floyd which is obvious to even many notable conservatives was police abuse, but that the vast majority of police officers are not that which is what a lot of moderates and liberals believe.

The question is how vast should that majority be. There's certainly different levels of tolerance for error in different occupations and industries, and being a police officer is a very difficult job, but there is a rational argument that it's an occupation where allowances for error, poor judgment and poor judgment should be far more limited in this occupation. You saw that in several cases of police brutality, you have officers involved with numerous cited other issues with abuse still somehow on the force. This would seemingly be an obvious poor strategy as that kind of excessive force even when not resulting in killing others still does damage to the reputation of the police department and the trust of the citizenry in their police department and also opens up fiscal issues for cities due to not just issues with distrust of police, but also lawsuits. It also seems obviously extremist to think that there is truly no police abuse, and I don't think mainline conservatives believe that.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-01-2020 at 01:55 PM..

Old 06-01-2020, 01:44 PM

27,581 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
...and the extreme right?
They believe that whites and minorities should be separated or that America shouldn’t have any minorities at all.

However, people with such views have very little political power in the present-day United States.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:54 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,025,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Good lord it was bad enough being in the EU!

yeah bastards...I mean I'm jealous some people can just leave it while others are doomed for the time being to be under the 'arbeit macht frei' country. But anyhow...totally offtopic maybe?

Old 06-01-2020, 03:07 PM

14,820 posts, read 12,035,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
yeah bastards...I mean I'm jealous some people can just leave it while others are doomed for the time being to be under the 'arbeit macht frei' country. But anyhow...totally offtopic maybe?
Do yourself a favour then, vote for freeeeeeedom!

Old 06-01-2020, 03:22 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
So, if this is a relocation topic, what are you looking to find and avoid, OP?

Old 06-27-2020, 05:52 AM

432 posts, read 285,525 times
The US is a s-hole sorry and its crumbling fast

Old 06-27-2020, 06:37 AM

6,563 posts, read 12,061,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadsuper55 View Post
The US is a s-hole sorry and its crumbling fast
And we can't leave it even if we wanted to, as there are still travel bans to most other countries. The European Union is talking about banning entry for Americans because of the infection rate. I don't think Canada's border is open yet either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World