Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2020, 10:55 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,017,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by providence623 View Post
What are your talking about.

The western half of the USA was part of the Spanish empire for over 400 years .

The French empire owned the middle of the USA, from New Orleans all the way into Quebec.

Only 13 states on the east coast belonged to the English.

The whole speak English this is America becomes even more ludicrous when one realizes those facts.

When those 13 states liberated from England , they expanded west, first by purchasing all the middle from the French and then Anglifying forcefully.

Then occupying Florida which was spain, and occupying lands that now belonged to mexico (after Mexico had gained independence from Spain)

English HAS NEVER BEEN official in the United States. In fact each state is free to make official their own languages.

Louisiana is trying to regain its French, and new México made spanish official.

That alone shows you how ignorant are all these so called murecan patriots that want everyone to speak English in this country.
How has ANY of this got anything to do with what I said exactly? Werent the original US founders English? Isnt the US legal system based on common English law? Isn't the Declaration of Independence based on the Magna Carta? There is a reason why the US is unofficially English speaking no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2020, 11:05 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,017,825 times
Quote:
The US is an economic empire and a media empire.

America controls world's media and the world's economy.

That is declining tough, economically America is losing gradually its dominance of the world's economy, and China's share of the pie has been steadily increasing.

Media wise, Hollywood which was used for decades to boost America's appeal to highly educated foreigners and encourage brain drain and migration into America has been a disaster. (Name a good hollywood movie in the last five years)

How do you think America has so many rich educated Asians, while poor Asians would rarely if ever had the chance to come here? BRAIN DRAIN AND COCA COLA.
“You Asian man want coca cola and Michael Jackson, come tu America top pursue your dreams and spend billions in our universities and real estate!!
That was only for rich Asians though. Poor Asians need not apply.

The same tactic America used to sell to Europeans in the cold war, freedom, coca cola and macdonalds... Taste of freedom.

Some Americans equate America with the Roman empire, Rome lasted as an empire for several thousand years. America has been a super power only since WWII and is already declining.

A good comparison to America should be the British empire, it lasted only for about 100 years and gradually vanished into irrelevance. Today most people around the world don't give a hoot about England. That is going to be America's future.
The US does not 'control' the world's media! Where did you get that bollox from? In fact the US doesnt even 'control' its own media! :-D The worlds economy is tied to each other across the globe, if China, the US, Germany etc goes into recession it affects all of us. What planet are you on? Are you one if these people that thinks the world is Americanized because people drive (German) cars, watch (Scottish) TV? And speak English! :-D. The US is certainly very influential for sure, it's exported a lot of 'popular culture' over the last 50 years or so - it's a bloody massive country the size of a continent, but it does not have an Empire.

Old 05-31-2020, 11:56 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,558,075 times
Spain or South America. If I were to move that's where I'm going.

Old 05-31-2020, 02:52 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,332,362 times
Quote:
What are your talking about.

The western half of the USA was part of the Spanish empire for over 400 years .

The French empire owned the middle of the USA, from New Orleans all the way into Quebec.

Only 13 states on the east coast belonged to the English.

The whole speak English this is America becomes even more ludicrous when one realizes those facts.

When those 13 states liberated from England , they expanded west, first by purchasing all the middle from the French and then Anglifying forcefully.

Then occupying Florida which was spain, and occupying lands that now belonged to mexico (after Mexico had gained independence from Spain)

English HAS NEVER BEEN official in the United States. In fact each state is free to make official their own languages.

Louisiana is trying to regain its French, and new México made spanish official.

That alone shows you how ignorant are all these so called murecan patriots that want everyone to speak English in this country.
The United States has never been a part of a foreign empire.
The Louisiana Territory and Mexican Cession indeed were Spanish/French/Mexican territories prior to their purchase/theft by the United States. Once they were annexed by the US, they have never been occupied by a foreign nation or empire.
It is true that there are movements to balkanize the US by various groups.

Old 05-31-2020, 02:55 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,332,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
How has ANY of this got anything to do with what I said exactly? Werent the original US founders English? Isnt the US legal system based on common English law? Isn't the Declaration of Independence based on the Magna Carta? There is a reason why the US is unofficially English speaking no?
Correct, but now we are being re-colonized by Latinos, so the US might become a bilingual country.
It is what it is, just like a few centuries from now there probably will be very few pockets of strictly homogeneous racial groups anywhere on Earth.

Old 05-31-2020, 05:42 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,615,298 times
I say leave and find out and let all the 'freedom hollering' Americans or whatever do their thing. I'm literally living my dream, working for an American company remote in Tokyo. Things are open for the most part, a lot more stuff in fact opened today. We just did all you can eat yakiniku and all you can drink yesterday in Kabukicho. Time will play out and we'll see what happens to America, good and bad.

Sitting in my bathtub that functions as a jacuzzi here in Sumida City, Tokyo (wow!) after work with a beer in hand the other day, and I get word that Union Square has riots, then Chinatown. I see a pic that's maybe 5 blocks from my apartment with a burning NYPD vehicle. I'm watching the city I loved for the last 10 years burn, the only place I liked in America, over what should have been an isolated incident in the Midwest. I just extended my visa and life is pretty ****ing great right now.

OP, take the risk, you might be pleasantly surprised I'm going for my Masters (right now) > Ph.D / work in Japan until Permanent Residency through Highly Skilled Foreign Professional Visa > work for an American company (they pay the most and I have that US Citizenship) and my girlfriend is 100% onboard with the idea too. Life is too short, choose a place and go! America will always be there if you decide to come back.

Old 05-31-2020, 06:24 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Guns, people being racists, police brutality, little compassion for others, crumbling infrastructure, too many ghettos, terrible transit, haves have everything have nots have nothing, everybody is a political extremist, millions actually voted for Trump and still support him today, no national health care, arrogance, mass shootings, people are totally ignorant of anything outside of America (Americans barely know American history or geography let along world).

I don't hate America, I love it, But something is wrong. When I travel to other countries, there is something about them that we just don't have here. I'm starting to feel like America is a big fake country. Too many people here are just not what I want to be a part of anymore.

Are all countries like this when you actually live there?

Frustrated with my country right now.
I agree 100%. This country is going downhill faster and faster. Some people don't even notice it as they worship the God of the Rich, their Orange man.

I feel sorry for little kids who are growing up with that person as a role model, seeing him on tv, knowing the kinds of things he does, hearing his lies. Our kids are the future and look what they've got as a president.

This must be what it's like when a country is in decline. Countries rise and fall and we are unfortunate enough to be living here during its era of decline and failure. Something is really wrong but I don't see any way of stopping it. It's too late and there seem to be powerful forces that are beyond our control.

The country I would move to would be somewhere in the UK. Nicer weather, good food, healthcare for all, loads of history, gorgeous countryside, lots of things to do, close to Europe for vacations. You can make good money there if you're about money, but you'll always be able to get by even if you only have an ordinary job.

Especially in the North of England and up in Scotland, most people are still kind and nice, they way they used to be in this country. They don't have guns and they have more of a sense of community and caring.

It's not perfect. They've allowed too many immigrants with extremely different values over the years and that causes problems and friction. That's been stopped, finally, but too late. They will have economic issues after this virus has caused so much job loss but once they're back on their feet, it'll be a really good place to live again. I've spent time there and the grocery stores are good with prices that are lower than here, the people were nice, the highways aren't as numerous as ours but probably the air pollution from cars isn't as bad either.

Their politics are a little bit strange at the moment, but at least they think Trump is an idiot. I listen to their radio and Trump is a laughingstock to them. I mean, they understand! They wonder why Americans don't get rid of him and they ask how he ever got elected. They still look up to the US quite a bit (probably out of habit and from the Hollywood tv shows) but they do seem to see how strange it's getting here and how we are going down the sewer. People who love the US but have become disenchanted with its demise would fit in well in the UK. It's hard to get in, that's all.

Old 05-31-2020, 07:27 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,207,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
When Trump was elected that solidified my decision to return to my country of birth I'm tired of the divisiveness and to be honest I tolerate the Trump supporters I have some in my family but I dislike them. Too much divisiveness and hatred and it's gotten worse over the last three years. I really don't understand the loyalty of Trump supporter the man isn't worth two ****s. I still have a few years to go(5) after I move I will visit twice a year but I'm ready to move on I don't value most of the things that a lot of Americans find important it's time to move on. The lifestyle in general is designed to keep people broke and addicted to buying crap and placing people with possessions and titles on pedestals. I don't care about that crap. It's a trade off though there are problems everywhere you go
I'm not a huge Trump fan either, but the great divide we have in our nation actually started when Obama was elected. We became a very divided and racial country, and I would blame the media for most of it, but Obama didn't do much to help the issue. In fact he did the opposite.

Biden vs Trump. It's almost comical for a country of our size and strength that these two men are our choices. And this coming from the wealthiest and most important country in the world.

Old 05-31-2020, 07:49 PM

6,542 posts, read 12,040,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javawood View Post
I say leave and find out and let all the 'freedom hollering' Americans or whatever do their thing. I'm literally living my dream, working for an American company remote in Tokyo. Things are open for the most part, a lot more stuff in fact opened today. We just did all you can eat yakiniku and all you can drink yesterday in Kabukicho. Time will play out and we'll see what happens to America, good and bad.

Sitting in my bathtub that functions as a jacuzzi here in Sumida City, Tokyo (wow!) after work with a beer in hand the other day, and I get word that Union Square has riots, then Chinatown. I see a pic that's maybe 5 blocks from my apartment with a burning NYPD vehicle. I'm watching the city I loved for the last 10 years burn, the only place I liked in America, over what should have been an isolated incident in the Midwest. I just extended my visa and life is pretty ****ing great right now.

OP, take the risk, you might be pleasantly surprised I'm going for my Masters (right now) > Ph.D / work in Japan until Permanent Residency through Highly Skilled Foreign Professional Visa > work for an American company (they pay the most and I have that US Citizenship) and my girlfriend is 100% onboard with the idea too. Life is too short, choose a place and go! America will always be there if you decide to come back.
I remember when I was living in Japan 10 years ago and thinking I would have been perfectly happy if I never set foot on American soil. Things have only gotten worse since then.

Old 05-31-2020, 07:52 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,017,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
most important country in the world.

There can be only one North Korea...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World