Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 09:33 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
We need to control far right extremists and also far-left extremists like ANTIFA and Black Lives Matter.

They are all domestic terrorist groups.
BLM isn't a group. It's not extremism, to hold police to their own stated standards of conduct, and to treat all citizens equitably, without favoritism. Well, I suppose it was considered "extremism" in South Africa, but the US isn't South Africa.

...or is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2020, 09:40 AM

27,580 posts, read 28,687,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
BLM isn't a group. It's not extremism, to hold police to their own stated standards of conduct, and to treat all citizens equitably, without favoritism. Well, I suppose it was considered "extremism" in South Africa, but the US isn't South Africa.

...or is it?
Black Lives Matter is an anti-police hate group. They defend criminals and pay lip service about black lives and justice.

It has been that way from the beginning.

Old 09-30-2020, 02:40 PM

6,563 posts, read 12,061,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If you leave, and everyone else who feels the way you do leaves, who will be left to fix it? You'll doom the country to turning into one big Trumpster Dumpster, and the poor people who can't afford the luxury of leaving will be trapped in Hell. Seriously.

Are you sure you want to leave? Think about it.

And btw, where were you thinking of going? How many foreign languages can you speak, and do you have any in-demand skills, that would get you a work/residency visa? How do you plan on convincing whatever country you consider to be better, to allow you in? Most likely, Canada doesn't want you, unless you're a really bright techie or doctor/surgeon, or hotshot in a field of engineering (civil, chemical) they need. They don't take ordinary schlumps. It's pretty much the same in other countries that offer "free stuff". In countries that don't offer much free stuff, you'd still need a job, or a major savings to live there without working.

Good luck with all that, OP.
That's what the Trumpeters want, for anyone who doesn't agree to leave, or imprisoned or even executed so everyone in the country could think the same, 100%. They basically want a North Korea like cult of personality only one that supports American capitalism instead of communism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
We need to control far right extremists and also far-left extremists like ANTIFA and Black Lives Matter.

They are all domestic terrorist groups.
Apparently not the right wing extremists. They just need to "stand back and stand by", lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Not really, being rich in In Brazil for example is dangerous. Gated communities, bullet proof car, constant fear. Not that great, better than being poor, yes but still doesn't compare with developed countries.
US, England, Japan are great places if you are rich. Living in England on minimum wage isn't a walk in the park, Japan wow many people with great jobs living like lab rats.
At this point I'd be happier in a small studio apartment in Japan than a mansion anywhere in America.

Old 09-30-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Apparently not the right wing extremists. They just need to "stand back and stand by", lol.
Extremists who try to harm people solely because of their race, ethnicity, religion or sexual orientation need to disappear entirely.

I can only hope that is not a pipe dream.

Old 09-30-2020, 06:40 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Not really, being rich in In Brazil for example is dangerous. Gated communities, bullet proof car, constant fear. Not that great, better than being poor, yes but still doesn't compare with developed countries.
US, England, Japan are great places if you are rich. Living in England on minimum wage isn't a walk in the park, Japan wow many people with great jobs living like lab rats.

Did I say ALL countries?

No.

Also the statement wasn't about minimum wage, which by the way the US isn't " a walk in the park " especially with your lax labour laws and servers in many states having to depend on tips to survive.

Talk about cherry picking. It actually great to be rich in Australia, Canada, Europe, the UK, etc.

The statement made sounded like the US is the only place that its' great to be rich. I challenged that, and my comment still stands.

Old 10-01-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
At this point I'd be happier in a small studio apartment in Japan than a mansion anywhere in America.
That sounds a little bit crazy to me. But hey, different strokes.

Old 10-01-2020, 09:41 AM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
I think the main thing for anyone exploring this idea is the practicality of being able to have legal status and work in such countries. Sure, there's the short-term potential of quarantine or having to possibly wait a bit before being allowed to go to certain countries, but the real issue is that there aren't a huge number of pathways to a lot of countries despite what some people might think. The other one is that living in a country without being able to speak the native tongue can really be difficult unless you are in a fairly good well-paying expat bubble where it's primarily English-speaking. The grass can be a lot greener for people outside of the US and I know many Americans who made that decision in a very broad spectrum of countries (opting both for countries that are considered more developed and those that are less developed), but it depends a lot on personal context.

Old 10-02-2020, 06:18 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,871,011 times
I honestly can't wait to get back to the states after seven years in China.

Old 10-02-2020, 09:18 AM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I honestly can't wait to get back to the states after seven years in China.
Yea, I'm hearing this a lot from expats I know in or were in China over the last few years including people who have been there for decades at this point. Xi's essentially made the country more conservative and authoritarian over the last several years and has cultivated a growing cult of personality where he can do no wrong.

Old 10-02-2020, 09:21 AM

8,494 posts, read 6,900,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, I'm hearing this a lot from expats I know in or were in China over the last few years including people who have been there for decades at this point. Xi's essentially made the country more conservative and authoritarian over the last several years and has cultivated a growing cult of personality where he can do no wrong.
Well that certainly sounds familiar even here in the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World