Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 09:26 AM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Well that certainly sounds familiar even here in the United States.
Yep, just at a much greater scale and extent in China due to the governmental structure in place, luckily in some ways and bad in others, a tiny ruling elite that's a lot more rational and pragmatic especially when it comes to economics and science potentially due to fairly rigorous scientific and engineering backgrounds. Of course, who knows if that latter part will hold for the next generation.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-02-2020 at 10:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2020, 09:58 AM

1,260 posts, read 946,542 times
A the end of the day it depends what you value. I value the culture of places like Portugal, Italy and Spain where to me having more of a laid back lifestyle in a place that values family, and people work to live rather than live to work. But for others that is not what they value. Some people value more living in a more homogenous and small country like Uruguay. Others need a a big country with a lot of variety like the US or China.

The grass is always greener somewhere else, but at the end of the day it really depends what you value. I can tell you I would be more unhappy in a place like Poland, Germany, or even Denmark than I would be in the US. However I would be more happy in a place like Portugal, Italy or Spain than I would be in the US. It depends what you value and what you want out of the place that you live.

If it wasn't for my family I would have left the US. Be it as it may, the US with all its increasing problems, isn't the worst (and far from it) but it certainly has declined, that is for sure. But it's still a great place to live if you want variety, diversity, and opportunity.

Old 10-02-2020, 12:12 PM

27,580 posts, read 28,687,607 times
I have been hearing that America is in decline for the better part of the last 50 years.

LOL

Old 10-02-2020, 12:46 PM

1,260 posts, read 946,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I have been hearing that America is in decline for the better part of the last 50 years.

LOL
I mean is there a specific timeframe from something to be considered to be declining? A country can be in the decline for 50 years.

Old 10-02-2020, 01:19 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,352,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
That's what the Trumpeters want, for anyone who doesn't agree to leave, or imprisoned or even executed so everyone in the country could think the same, 100%. They basically want a North Korea like cult of personality only one that supports American capitalism instead of communism.

Apparently not the right wing extremists. They just need to "stand back and stand by", lol.

At this point I'd be happier in a small studio apartment in Japan than a mansion anywhere in America.
You would rather live in one of the most racist countries on the planet?

Old 10-04-2020, 11:31 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,567,829 times
I've read about a lot of families leaving the US for Canada lately. Some recently, and some like this article talks about, 20 years ago. I find her thoughts about democracy and the US interesting. Especially as one of our Canadian posters, a constitution lawyer, has said that if a Supreme Court Justice in Canada displays partisanship in their decisions, it could mean a cause for dismal.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...ushpmg00000013

Old 10-05-2020, 12:46 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,871,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Well that certainly sounds familiar even here in the United States.
It sounds familiar, but it's a very different situation. I have no don't Trump is jealous of XJP's ability to consolidate power and control over the nation and institute sweeping, regressive social policies which potentially affect basically every person in the country.

You will never hear a peep against him in the media. Contrast that with the US.

I didn't see Trump's face on a single sign or billboard the last 2 times I was in the US. XJP's are all over public spaces.

Evening news in the US will show pieces critical of Trump and his policies. In China, they give lessons on "Xi Jinping Thought," the current guiding principles of the nation.

You can go on social media and see endless, relentless anti-Trump polemics. This would land you in detention in China.

Media and political figures regularly publicly condemn him and are applauded for it. This would land them in jail.

Trump muses about a third term, but this would almost certainly not make it to law. After consolidating power, XJP did away with term limits.

Trump is currently embattled in an election with Joe Biden, and there's a high likelihood he will lose. XJP will almost certainly be reconfirmed.

Old 10-05-2020, 01:03 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,871,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, I'm hearing this a lot from expats I know in or were in China over the last few years including people who have been there for decades at this point. Xi's essentially made the country more conservative and authoritarian over the last several years and has cultivated a growing cult of personality where he can do no wrong.
I've seen a shocking number of expats leave China over the last year, though even for a couple years prior, the number expats I knew who were leaving was greater than the number of those coming in. There have been policy changes that make getting visas more difficult for some nationalities, increasing xenophobia along with the rise of nationalism, etc which have given a lot of people pause.

One of the trends that I noticed was that while you've always had the six month to two year crowd that cycles in and out, a lot of people I know who had been here for extended periods - 10, 15, 20 years - and were effectively permanently settled here with property and families have been leaving.

Old 10-05-2020, 01:10 AM

8,867 posts, read 8,452,657 times
At this exact moment I would say grass is indeed greener elsewhere as the Covid management in America has been a colossal embarrassment and the political scene is simply hard to watch, but normally I think America is pretty good.

That said, the pandemic has shown the world the laughable ineptitude of Western leadership. People just hear the most about America, the truth is the West, collectively, have failed miserably. No wonder Russia and China have been able to dance circles around the EU and the US for more than a decade. It's pathetic.

Old 10-05-2020, 08:15 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
At this exact moment I would say grass is indeed greener elsewhere as the Covid management in America has been a colossal embarrassment and the political scene is simply hard to watch, but normally I think America is pretty good.

That said, the pandemic has shown the world the laughable ineptitude of Western leadership. People just hear the most about America, the truth is the West, collectively, have failed miserably. No wonder Russia and China have been able to dance circles around the EU and the US for more than a decade. It's pathetic.
Wait, what? How has Russia danced circles around the West and the US for more than a decade. I must've missed that decade. Please fill me in. I'm always up for the view from Taiwan.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-05-2020 at 08:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World