Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 11:29 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Again you are getting into the "mine is better than yours" debate. That was not the intent. Canada focuses more on collective rights, which is great, it's a philisophical discussion. But with that comes some sacrifice of individual rights. In terms of due process, Canada and the US are very similar. I don't think you usually have jury trials for civil cases, not a big deal. But the US Bill of Rights is very absolute, while Canada's Charter of Rights and Freedoms are fluid and subject to more latitude. An example is freedom of expression - Canada dictates the right of free speech, but the state can limit it in reasonable ways. This may be contrasted with the absolute language of the First Amendment of the United States Bill of Rights, which states: "Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech or of the press." The words of the Canadian guarantee acknowledge the state's right to limit free speech; the words of the American forbid the state from doing so.
Example of the US attitude towards human rights in action: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guanta...detention_camp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2021, 11:34 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Example of the US attitude towards human rights in action: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guanta...detention_camp
Not too mention the Patriot Act

"Violates the First Amendment's guarantee of free speech by prohibiting the recipients of search orders from telling others about those orders, even where there is no real need for secrecy.
Violates the First Amendment by effectively authorizing the FBI to launch investigations of American citizens in part for exercising their freedom of speech. "

https://www.aclu.org/other/surveilla...usapatriot-act

Old 07-07-2021, 11:43 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
I thought you were willing to discuss the differences in a sincere manner, not divert the topic into "but, the US is doing this...". I tried to give you the benifit of the doubt, I see I was wrong.

I see you and the other guy have a different agenda then the topic at hand. Once again, maybe P&C is more for you to discuss this. I see you both frequent that forum, it explains quite a bit. Regretfully, you will probably end up getting this thread locked.

Old 07-07-2021, 11:44 AM

27,567 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Not too mention the Patriot Act

"Violates the First Amendment's guarantee of free speech by prohibiting the recipients of search orders from telling others about those orders, even where there is no real need for secrecy.
Violates the First Amendment by effectively authorizing the FBI to launch investigations of American citizens in part for exercising their freedom of speech. "

https://www.aclu.org/other/surveilla...usapatriot-act
Fortunately, the Islamic terrorism era ended some years ago in the United States. Hopefully, it will not return.

It is good to deal with one major problem at a time.

Old 07-07-2021, 11:48 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
I thought you were willing to discuss the differences in a sincere manner, not divert the topic into "but, the US is doing this...".

I see you and the other guy have a different agenda then the topic at hand. Once again, maybe P&C is more for you to discuss this. I see you both frequent that forum, it explains quite a bit. Regretfully, you will probably end up getting this thread locked.
When you make false statements, expect to be corrected.

I post on a number of different forums here on C-D, including Genealogy. I have as much right to post on this forum as you do.

Old 07-07-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
When you make false statements, expect to be corrected.

I post on a number of different forums here on C-D, including Genealogy.
I made no false statement and you failed to respond sincerely to my explanations, instead choosing to divert the topic. On the contrary, when you hijack a thread with your own agenda expect to be likewise "corrected" .

Old 07-07-2021, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I made no false statement and you failed to respond sincerely to my explanations, instead choosing to divert the topic. On the contrary, when you hijack a thread with your own agenda expect to be likewise "corrected" .
You stated

"But the US Bill of Rights is very absolute, while Canada's Charter of Rights and Freedoms are fluid and subject to more latitude. An example is freedom of expression - Canada dictates the right of free speech, but the state can limit it in reasonable ways. This may be contrasted with the absolute language of the First Amendment of the United States Bill of Rights, which states: "Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech or of the press."

We have given you examples, where it is not absolute.

Old 07-07-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Fortunately, the Islamic terrorism era ended some years ago in the United States. Hopefully, it will not return.

It is good to deal with one major problem at a time.
Yes, but it is an example of where rights have been taken away.

Old 07-07-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You stated

"But the US Bill of Rights is very absolute, while Canada's Charter of Rights and Freedoms are fluid and subject to more latitude. An example is freedom of expression - Canada dictates the right of free speech, but the state can limit it in reasonable ways. This may be contrasted with the absolute language of the First Amendment of the United States Bill of Rights, which states: "Congress shall make no law ... abridging the freedom of speech or of the press."

We have given you examples, where it is not absolute.
The Bill of Rights in the US constitution is absolute (although, theoretically, you can change a constitutional amendment). By practical necessity, the interpretation of it is not. Again we are getting into common sense: you can't yell fire in a crowded theater if no fire. While the American right of free speech admits of some limits in the name of reason or practical necessity, the fact remains that what would be counted as a reasonable limit on speech in Canada would often amount to an unreasonable limit in the United States.

Old 07-07-2021, 01:31 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,405,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Trump became popular mainly because a large segment of American citizens don't want the United States to turn into a Latin American country through illegal immigration.

I tend to agree that fits the meaning of conservatism, at least an aspect of it.
The irony in that is many AMericans that support Trump are very similar to many Latin Americans in mentality. They are evangelical/religious, poorly educated, extremely right wing, hate anything deemed progressive or politically correct, believe easily in conspiracy theories etc etc. If anything I would say Trump and his followers are making the US more similar to a Latin American country.

Many poor Latin AMericans love Trump for standing up for evangelicals and don't understand why more Americans don't vote for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World