Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2021, 08:00 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,523,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
I don't think cricketers or baseball players are any more or less at an advantage learning to play the other's sport. LBW isn't so complicated a concept that it would take an inordinate amount of time to explain it to baseball players. Obviously baseball requires greater hand-eye coordination because 1) you're trying to hit a sphere with a cylindrical surface rather than a flat one, and 2) the field of play is only 90 degrees which greatly advantages the defense and disadvantages the offense vs cricket. How well a cricket batsman could adjust to the round vs flat bat and eliminating 75% of the field of play, I don't know. But that of course is why a typical 3-hour baseball game will typically feature somewhere between 5 and 15 runs total while a 3-hour T20 match will ring up somewhere around 350.
Yes, one game is significantly in the favour of the Bat and one in favour of the Pitchers/Bowlers.

But I don't think he was referencing the complexity of the rule of LBW, moreso the fact that the batsmens body is in play and a target of the ball, which comes at relatively the same velocity, but is much harder and has the variation of unpredictable bounce thrown into the equation.

Old 07-25-2021, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post

There are only 3 major sports in the U.S. NFL, NBA, and MLB are on the first tier; while hockey, soccer, and NASCAR are on the second-tier. MLS is starting to overtake NHL and eventually join the first-tier.
Nonsense, NHL is not far behind NBA in terms of revenue, while MLS is less than 1/4 of NHL.

More chance of NHL over taking NBA domestically (their disgraceful courting of China will protect them in an overall revenue sense) in revenue as they continue to expand their territory and make it more accessible to greater "demographics".

Old 07-25-2021, 08:10 PM

910 posts, read 367,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Equally, the typical American football player would be out on his feet in 5 minutes on a Rugby or Rugby League field, or soccer or Aussie rules. But yes, the players are adapted over many years for the particular rigours of each sport.

Impacts are bigger on a limited number of players in the NFL of course. Much of it to do with poor tackling technique borne out of having a weapon on their head. Most players receive very little significant impact trauma, whereas every player on the field, in every play, is open to significant impact in the Rugby codes.

Fortunately in Rugby League, concussion is now being taken much more seriously and managed far better with stricter enforcement of rules intended to protect the head. The days of a bloke unsteady and barely unable to find his feet, scrambling back into the defence line to make the next tackle are gone. Not long ago, that was witnessed in every game including young juniors.

But I would say that overall in the football codes, considering all physical elements, Rugby League is a "tougher" sport followed by American Football then Rugby Union.. And Soccer comes way down the list, far behind the likes of Aussie Rules, somewhere near field hockey.
I have to disagree with you here. I think Jarryd Hayne summed it up best when he said heavy hits are very scary in the NFL, and he struggled to sleep as a result of head injuries in the very short time he was in the NFL. I don't think he was the least bit scarred being tackled in rugby. So we have someone who excelled in NRL, saying he was scarred to be tackled in the NFL. I am going to go with Jarryd Hayne over what you are saying Aussiehoff.

Old 07-25-2021, 11:09 PM

5,059 posts, read 7,501,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindag View Post
I have to disagree with you here. I think Jarryd Hayne summed it up best when he said heavy hits are very scary in the NFL, and he struggled to sleep as a result of head injuries in the very short time he was in the NFL. I don't think he was the least bit scarred being tackled in rugby. So we have someone who excelled in NRL, saying he was scarred to be tackled in the NFL. I am going to go with Jarryd Hayne over what you are saying Aussiehoff.
That might be because in the NFL, players have single roles to become tacklers.

If you could change rugby such that you could swap teams every time you needed to tackle someone, the chances are you would have a large bunch of elite tacklers.

However if you were to change the NFL, to make every player in the offensive side also defensive, who have to stay for the duration of the game, naturally the impact of each tackle would decline.

Indeed their is a attacking tackle in the NFL who was in the NRL under 21 competition, however at 157kg he was simply too big to make the seniors in the NRL, he simply could not keep up with the pace required for the duration in the NRL. No doubt he was a brilliant tackler however.

Old 07-26-2021, 01:01 AM

89 posts, read 49,220 times
Quote:
I'm not American. And yes, kicking a large ball is far simpler than catch and pass with the hands. When you have kids you will see it in action...
lol traping the ball with your feet is less skillfull then catching it with your hands lol. most easiest thing in sports is catch and throw the ball with your hands

Old 07-26-2021, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindag View Post
You aren't disagreeing with me though.

And I think he used the turn of phrase that the tackles can be "scary", not that he was scared to be tackled.

Last edited by Aussiehoff; 07-26-2021 at 01:47 AM..

Old 07-26-2021, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkamies View Post
traping the ball with your feet is less skillfull then catching it with your hands
Correct. You are getting there!

Old 07-26-2021, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post

If you could change rugby such that you could swap teams every time you needed to tackle someone, the chances are you would have a large bunch of elite tacklers.

However if you were to change the NFL, to make every player in the offensive side also defensive, who have to stay for the duration of the game, naturally the impact of each tackle would decline.

Indeed their is a attacking tackle in the NFL who was in the NRL under 21 competition, however at 157kg he was simply too big to make the seniors in the NRL, he simply could not keep up with the pace required for the duration in the NRL. No doubt he was a brilliant tackler however.
Yes, most players don't ever get tackled in the NFL. And those that do are often no more impactful than a typical NRL tackle, but at the extreme end they are certainly bigger impacts. It helps when you know who is getting the ball too, and that they aren't going to pass it.

Old 07-26-2021, 02:05 AM

89 posts, read 49,220 times
Quote:
Correct. You are getting there!
sarcasam but you aussie so you care about other two sports that is layed by hand aussie rules and rugby lol. but no sport requires more skill the soccer to play running with the ball in your feet dribbling it trapping it catching it with your foot. it is not even close which sport requires most skill

Old 07-26-2021, 02:47 AM

910 posts, read 367,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post

Good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World