Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 10:27 AM

652 posts, read 1,276,502 times

Advertisements

I read it somewhere that either in Finnland or in one of those northern countries a doctor make almost as much as an office worker. It was something about that this country try not to have too much differences between salaries so everybody can be equal. Anybody heard or read about this article?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2007, 02:20 PM

753 posts, read 759,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katalin View Post
I read it somewhere that either in Finnland or in one of those northern countries a doctor make almost as much as an office worker. It was something about that this country try not to have too much differences between salaries so everybody can be equal. Anybody heard or read about this article?
Doctors in Finland make considerably more than office workers, but certainly not the amounts that US doctors do.

University education is free for those smart enough to get in. So doctors don't graduate with $100K+ in debt. Add to that the low-key role that litigators play in the healthcare system, the need for malpractice insurance is lower too. All this and Finland still has one of the most advanced healthcare systems in the world.

So yes, Finnish doctors don't make rockstar salaries. They don't need to.

Old 09-14-2007, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 4,107 times
Default Literacy Rate ???

What does it mean by literacy rate? Knowing how to read & write? Read & write what? The official language??. A country like India which has 100's of languages, I am pretty sure it would have at least 95% literacy rate. It shows 65% literacy rate maybe because 65% of the people know one of the 18 official languages. But in a country that has Hundreds of languages and 1 Billion people, I am pretty sure it is very difficult to find the literacy rate.

Old 09-14-2007, 07:15 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
I'm not sure you can equate literacy with the need to import labor. Switzerland for example has very tight control of immigration. By and large the service jobs, and definitely the blue collar jobs, are being performed by Swiss. As a result there is a high cost of living but also a huge middle class. The well educated professional Swiss lives a fairly modest life. I think that is true of most of Europe.
Sorry but you are crazy. Switzerland has a renowned immigation problem. Something over 20% of the population is foreign. Many eastern europeans.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 09-14-2007 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 09-18-2007, 01:43 AM

4 posts, read 12,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
According to my manager (who just LOVES to mention it ) Kerala, India has 100% literacy...
Hehe, thats not 100% true, Kerala is India's most literate state with a rate of about 90%...

Old 09-18-2007, 06:50 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
""Mind you, I have also seen the dirties toilet in that country, and I have been to Romania...""

What a heck does that mean exactly???

Old 09-18-2007, 06:14 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,336,163 times
When the USSR was around, they had 100% literacy

Old 10-22-2010, 05:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,685 times
Some countries (like Andorra) have 100% literacy. But, Burkina Faso is the lowest, with 19%.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:49 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,956,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbe View Post
Hi from Australia,
Yes we have pretty good (excellent) literary rates, but at the moment we have a huge shortage of trades people. That is - electricians, plumbers, boilermakers (welders), carpenters/builders.

The government is generously giving new apprentices $800 to buy tools to try to attract the young folk to trade apprentices, but it's a bit like shutting the gate after the horse has bolted. What are we supposed to do for 4 yrs while these apprentices are trained? The answer is to pay big money to attract the qualified trades people to get the job done.

We are also crying out for unskilled people for the fruit picking season. Check out the Aussie Government job website under Harvest Trail: https://jobsearch.gov.au/Login/Login.aspx?WHCode=0

Australia's a great place to work, visit and live. Hope you can come on down and take a look at our vast brown land one day. We have a casual lifestye, heaps of beaches, and lots of sights to see. The capital cities of each State are the hubs of commercial activity, but regional areas are many and certainly worth considering to get a taste of the country life. There are only 20million people here, and most of us are friendly.

To the lady who was looking for baby boomers... you'll find most of ours touring our highways and remote areas in their Winebagos, motor homes, and caravans. We call them the Grey Nomads. (I'm one of them, but I don't get away as much as I'd like to).

Best Wishes from Australia,
Sharon
Almost sounds a little like you work for the immigration or tourist departments.
Fact is ofcourse fewer tourists are going out to OZ,owing to a high dollar and inflated prices on so many things. Americans would indeed find Australia rather expensive.
Many younger Australians have been forced out of the housing market with little chance ever to get a foot on the ladder or risk paying a lifetime for such a dubious honour.
Same as many leave Australia's shores to further career as the market and options do tend to be limited in areas.
Folk are obsessive with regards to housing and material values rule the day.
The cities are limited with the centres small and besides parts of Sydney (the most urban) and Melbourne which do have a vibe in places the rest are rather dull.
Distance is very far between places with little in between of interest.
It does have a certain relaxed vibe to it but folk take awhile to warm to strangers on the whole(conservative in nature),neighbours keep to themselves and lonliness can be an issue for folk in the suburbs.(Prozac country,as some call it)
Australian book shops do display a lot of special interest mags,i have noticed and local authors appear plentiful and can be rather good. About 99% literacy rate is claimed i believe.

Last edited by the troubadour; 10-22-2010 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 10-22-2010, 07:57 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,956,585 times
Iceland used the claim the highest rate of book reading in the world. A few decades ago the local tv would shut down over summer to encourage folk to pursue more literary interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World