Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 11:36 AM

89 posts, read 283,069 times

Advertisements

I have wonder which country is most literate and has the least need for low paying wages employees . If most of its population is well educated,professional,economically stable,working/retired,etc,etc.Who does all the menial jobs ? where do they ship the laborers from ? Someone has to do the dirty jobs, WE,the kings and queens on this Land can not do it! Soooo......how do they do it? do they have controlled import of laborers? are they cleared for disease,pregnancy,( and now terrorism )etc.prior to be imported ? DO THIS PLACES EXIST on earth ? WHERE ?.......maybe Switzerland ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 11:40 AM

409 posts, read 1,237,162 times
According to BookSpot dot com,
----------------------------------
Which countries are the most literate?

Andorra, Australia, Estonia, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Liechtenstein and Luxembourg all have 100% literacy rates.

The U.S. has a literacy rate of 97%.

The country with the lowest literacy rate is Niger, at 13.6%.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:38 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,581 times
According to my manager (who just LOVES to mention it ) Kerala, India has 100% literacy...

Old 02-01-2007, 01:43 PM

753 posts, read 759,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto E View Post
I have wonder which country is most literate and has the least need for low paying wages employees . If most of its population is well educated,professional,economically stable,working/retired,etc,etc.Who does all the menial jobs ? where do they ship the laborers from ? Someone has to do the dirty jobs, WE,the kings and queens on this Land can not do it! Soooo......how do they do it? do they have controlled import of laborers? are they cleared for disease,pregnancy,( and now terrorism )etc.prior to be imported ? DO THIS PLACES EXIST on earth ? WHERE ?.......maybe Switzerland ?
Finland most likely. They have a highly educated population, excellent public services, and less need to import labor than most industrialized countries.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:06 AM
bbe

1 posts, read 8,490 times
Hi from Australia,
Yes we have pretty good (excellent) literary rates, but at the moment we have a huge shortage of trades people. That is - electricians, plumbers, boilermakers (welders), carpenters/builders.

The government is generously giving new apprentices $800 to buy tools to try to attract the young folk to trade apprentices, but it's a bit like shutting the gate after the horse has bolted. What are we supposed to do for 4 yrs while these apprentices are trained? The answer is to pay big money to attract the qualified trades people to get the job done.

We are also crying out for unskilled people for the fruit picking season. Check out the Aussie Government job website under Harvest Trail: https://jobsearch.gov.au/Login/Login.aspx?WHCode=0

Australia's a great place to work, visit and live. Hope you can come on down and take a look at our vast brown land one day. We have a casual lifestye, heaps of beaches, and lots of sights to see. The capital cities of each State are the hubs of commercial activity, but regional areas are many and certainly worth considering to get a taste of the country life. There are only 20million people here, and most of us are friendly.

To the lady who was looking for baby boomers... you'll find most of ours touring our highways and remote areas in their Winebagos, motor homes, and caravans. We call them the Grey Nomads. (I'm one of them, but I don't get away as much as I'd like to).

Best Wishes from Australia,
Sharon

Last edited by Yac; 02-04-2007 at 04:06 AM.. Reason: signatures not allowed

Old 02-05-2007, 03:59 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,164,292 times
Lightbulb List of countries by literacy rate

Included in the United Nations Development Programme Report 2005. See link for complete list.

Rank-- Country--- Literacy rate
1 Australia 99.9
1 Austria 99.9
1 Belgium 99.9
1 Canada 99.9
1 Czech Republic 99.9
1 Denmark 99.9
1 Finland 99.9
1 France 99.9
1 Germany 99.9
1 Iceland 99.9
1 Ireland 99.9
1 Japan 99.9
1 Luxembourg 99.9
1 Netherlands 99.9
1 New Zealand 99.9
1 Norway 99.9
1 Sweden 99.9
1 Switzerland 99.9
1 Trinidad and Tobago 99.9
1 United Kingdom 99.9

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._literacy_rate

Old 02-09-2007, 05:55 PM

184 posts, read 902,146 times
Highest GDP is in Luxemburg. That usually qualifies all the aspects you are looking for. When I went there, I was suprised how well off everyone is. The waiter who was serving me, earned almost as much as my then boss in Vienna, Austria. Go figure! Everyone speaks at least 2-3 languages in Luxemburg. Mind you, I have also seen the dirties toilet in that country, and I have been to Romania...

Old 02-13-2007, 08:29 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfyum View Post
According to my manager (who just LOVES to mention it ) Kerala, India has 100% literacy...
That's surprising. I was in Kerela for a month. It's pretty hard to believe all the people sleeping in the gutter (of which I saw quite a few) are literate. There's a clear distinction between classes that even a complete outsider could spot. I wonder just how literate the lower casts are.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:25 AM

331 posts, read 1,545,135 times
Japan! ..... if you excluding all those English-teaching expats

Old 03-01-2007, 11:42 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,661 times
I'm not sure you can equate literacy with the need to import labor. Switzerland for example has very tight control of immigration. By and large the service jobs, and definitely the blue collar jobs, are being performed by Swiss. As a result there is a high cost of living but also a huge middle class. The well educated professional Swiss lives a fairly modest life. I think that is true of most of Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World