Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 03:08 PM

30,707 posts, read 80,050,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Schools do not find spelling important anymore. And the advent of text messaging hasn't helped one damn bit.

Interestingly, though, young people who think spelling isn't important are going to find out just how important it really when they create resumes and fill out job apps.

That is very true. We recently had someone apply for a secretary position. She had multiple typos and gramattical errors in her resume. That seemd to giv eus some indication of what our work would look like when it went out the door if we hired her. If she cannot even get a resume right where presumably she put her best effort, then she will never get our work right. Maybe she just did nto care enough to correct it, but in a job resume, that says a lot too. So the $40,000+/year position went to someone else.

However posting on CD. I see no concern about typos or spelling. This is not a professional atmosphere, but a social one. I do not worry about misuse of grammar if iI am in a bar drinking with friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 09:39 PM

88,863 posts, read 85,323,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
That is very true. We recently had someone apply for a secretary position. She had multiple typos and gramattical errors in her resume. That seemd to giv eus some indication of what our work would look like when it went out the door if we hired her. If she cannot even get a resume right where presumably she put her best effort, then she will never get our work right. Maybe she just did nto care enough to correct it, but in a job resume, that says a lot too. So the $40,000+/year position went to someone else.

However posting on CD. I see no concern about typos or spelling. This is not a professional atmosphere, but a social one. I do not worry about misuse of grammar if iI am in a bar drinking with friends.
Me, either; however, I did once successfully recite the alphabet backwards for a police officer outside of a bar. Don't know if I could do that sober, but it saved my *** that time.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:03 PM

9,929 posts, read 13,949,620 times
This reminds me of a story. When Jimmy Page formed his super group, Keith Moon commented that the style of music they played, " . . . would go over like a lead zeppelin." They decided the name should be spelled "L-e-d" not "L-e-a-d," because the thick Americans would pronounce it wrong, as in, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." When the pronunciation should be lead, as in "Lead is one of the heavy metals." Speaks volumes, doesn't it. Occasional spelling/typing errors, slang, and the familiar does not bother me; however, consistent poor spelling, bad grammar, and improper syntax is atrocious to read when coming from adults who have grown up with the language. I feel by this time, we should all know the difference between to, two, too; and know, no, and now; and their, there, they're; etc., etc., etc. One reread before posting would probably catch most of these errors. To not do at least that shows a lack of respect for your audience.

Last edited by saucywench; 08-22-2009 at 01:46 PM..

Old 08-22-2009, 02:59 PM

53 posts, read 131,413 times
Quote:

Perhaps. But such apathy and indifference toward our English language is of unbelievable concern.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:36 PM

When speaking face to face with people you don't need to worry about typos, or spelling. Not so, in written text. A mistake once in a while is common. We all do it. But, butchering your native tongue is beyond belief to me. It is not uncommon to come across three or four mistakes in one sentence. Some posts consisting of only a few words, or a phrase, will also contain mistakes. All these mistakes, plus the overuse and abuse of emoticons leads me to believe that some of us posting here may not meet the minimum age requirement. No one knows really. In certain forums, like the music and entertainment forums, sometimes a smiley is all you need as a response. Thumbs up! Shades! But, too many coupled with all the spelling mistakes and acronyms smacks of the very young from the texting generation. Smells like teen spirit Which reminds me, I like to click on a name, if I like or dislike something someone posted, and I remember someone had posted their age as fifteen. Wish I could recall the name. If this is common it explains a lot!

Old 08-22-2009, 10:36 PM

1,814 posts, read 2,506,102 times
This may have already been posted/mentioned, and I apolgize if I am rehashing such, but since when did "loose" and "lose" become synonyms and not homonyms?

Old 08-23-2009, 12:07 AM

Probably when irregardless became a word. Arghhhhh! Maybe I should have said consistently instead of consistent, previously.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:24 PM

There are occasions when spelling errors are funny. I laugh every time I see this one, which is often, it's when someone misspells genius.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:26 PM

467 posts, read 714,818 times
Quote:

Just found it ironic that you made several errors in your little paragraph on the topic of making errors by a job applicant. At any rate, I'm not even out of high school and I even text with regular perfect spelling. I hate it when people aren't grammatically correct or misspell dozens of words. It's annoying and makes me want to slap them across the head.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:58 AM

754 posts, read 1,926,128 times
I am so trepidant about posting on a "Writing" forum because both my spelling and grammar are lacking. But, my cousin is worse than me and she has two degrees from two separate Universities. One is a community college the other is a well respected University.

Spell Check is the main culprit.

Spell Check can be your friend in a business environment but, it really does limit people learning to spell because it will automatically correct your words for you and it give suggestions without you having to research a word. I think perhaps they should disable Spell Check on Highschool issued laptops. It would force kids to pay greater attention to spelling and grammar. IMHO.

Last edited by 1984vt; 09-19-2009 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: Spelling ha ha ha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing