Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 08:06 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times

Advertisements

I find it ridiculous that a person would be judged on spelling and grammar; if that bothers a person then maybe they should get a life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 08:26 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,715,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
I guess those who complain about ones spelling -- are perfect, huh?

This topic has been posted over and over...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki View Post
lol Not at all. Everyone has their pet peeves. I'm sure you do as well. Do you think you're perfect compared to those who do things that bug you? I'm sure you don't. Misspellings and poor grammar are pet peeves of mine, but I in no way think I'm perfect. Far from it.

Oh, and I'm not new to City-Data, but I am basically new to non-North Carolina forums. This is the first thread of this type I've seen, so I threw in my two cents worth. *shrug*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I find it ridiculous that a person would be judged on spelling and grammar; if that bothers a person then maybe they should get a life.
Stone throwing.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:29 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times
It’s just there are more reasons than being lazy or uneducated for poor spelling and grammar, I was an “A” student in English and took writing classes, I used to write short stories and received “A’s” in my classes, but an accident took all of that away after suffering a brain injury, now it’s a job for me to write. One of my friends who happens to be in upper management for a large refinery struggles to spell the simplest words, although he is extremely smart his father would bust him in the head when he spelled a word incorrectly leaving him with a complex with spelling.

When I read that poor spelling and grammar equal laziness and poor education I feel insulted because I know better than that, I work with people who spell poorly and are smart and I work with people who spell very well but do poor work, I have a manager who is highly educated and loves to point out spelling and grammar mistakes of others and believe me no body is impressed with him.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:45 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,391,094 times
There are many reasons to be a poor speller, I'm sure. I don't "diss" my mother because English is her second or third language. Frankly, I'm just impressed she speaks as many languages as she does.

Whatever reason you don't spell well, I'm telling you that the reason the people _I_ know don't spell well (b/c we've had this conversation - usually brought up by them) is because they don't care and/or they're helpless without spellcheck. That's from the horses' mouths.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:14 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,047,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo25 View Post
Why is spelling so poor lately?
Is it just laziness or is there more to it than that?
Is it just me that this irritates?
No, it isn't just you. It really, really bothers me too. But what can you do about it? I wonder what people are doing in school while they are supposed to be learning. I see poor spelling, grammar, sentence/paragraph structure pretty much on a daily basis, but I can't let it get to me. What I have done though, is make sure my kids are top notch in their spelling/grammar/English skills.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:29 PM

24,479 posts, read 26,017,453 times
What all of you folks need is a Dicshunary that contains words that are mis-spelled in the Dictionary. Problem solved and we won't have to deal with spelling threads again. You can order a copy from me $25.00 + $5.00 for shipping and handeling.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:49 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,272,606 times
How is it "stone throwing" to say that bad spelling and grammar is a pet peeve of mine and that I know I'm not perfect? *shaking my head*

I see misspellings and bad grammar everyday while online (some of them my own from typos I've made), but I never say anything unless it's obviously just a funny typo. I probably make grammar mistakes of my own. Wouldn't surprise me. lol

Old 08-29-2008, 10:00 PM

44,635 posts, read 61,645,680 times
Isn't life too short to worry about such trivial things? Aren't there much more important things to worry about?

Old 08-29-2008, 10:58 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,891,980 times
The only time get upset with grammar and spelling is when it’s incorrectly provided by paid advertisers in magazines, newspapers, and tv; also I’ve heard commercial audio content advertising on the radio that was very poor grammar as well. When companies pay for commercials to advertise and they get poor quality that’s a problem. When you read a note from your neighbor or friend who is attempting to communicate with you - that’s just an error and no big deal.

Also looking at some of the spelling of commercial products has dumbed down America and hasn’t helped.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:09 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,992,621 times
Default Poor spelling is more than just a pet peeve

Some of the problem goes back to the early schooling of kids over the past 20 years when they were taught that What they wrote vs How they wrote was more important. Unfortunately, only some of the kids got the true message. Instead, many got the drift that it was a-ok to be sloppy and do a half-a**ed job in other areas of life.

It would be my guess that if a study was done, there would be a correlation between poor spellers and those with lousy work ethics.

Before you start beating me up and throwing stones, what I mean by "poor spellers" are 1) those who write something that is chock-a-block full of errors, and once a reader has deciphered the message, he finds that the writer has absolutely nothing to say; and 2) those who are paid to write and don't properly edit their copy for perfection -- antenna goes up: if I've hired someone to create an ad for me and he/she has taken a laissez faire attitude about the work, has he/she also given me a half-baked invoice? or as a customer - if I receive a flyer in the mail and it's full of spelling/grammar errors, what kind of job will they do for me if my first impression is they don't give enough of a hoot to communicate properly?

Which painter would you hire? "I can paint yor house cheep!" or "I can paint your house cheaply!"

I've been a victim of TWLL many times (that's Typing Without Looking Language, meaning that one types and then hits the send button too soon.) And I don't quickly judge someone who's filled his/her writing with booboos - there can be lots of reasons why. But I do hope it's the intent of writers to have respect for themselves and respect for their recipients to care enough about doing it right - occasional mistakes happen, but if you don't give a rat's a** about something as simple as spelling, about what else don't you give a rat's a**????!!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing