Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 12:04 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,175,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennus MacBean View Post
...as well as saying "ax" instead of "ask." My daughter never returned to that school. We have school of choice in our county and I enrolled her in a different school district. The teacher at that school tested my daughter and discovered that she was reading and writing at the 12th grade level and it was due in large part to the books that she had read at home (a lot of Jack London) and not the instruction that she had received in school.
Well, technically, 'ask' is an ignorant usage and 'aks' is the original form (from the Saxon or Old English, I forget). That's often the case with 'ignorant' usages -- they're not so much ignorant as artifacts of a time gone by.

But that's not the point. Point is you are right -- NO teacher should discourage a kid from learning, or putting their learning to good use.

I had a similar but much better experience in the first couple weeks of first grade. I already read at about a 4th grade level (I read my first complete novel when I was 4 or 5) and had worked out enough phonics to puzzle out almost any word. And I was already a fast reader. Anyway, I zipped through the first grade primer in a few minutes, closed the book, and sat there fidgeting because now I was bored. The teacher told me to read my book, and I said I was already done. She didn't believe me, so she had me read aloud a passage from the teacher's handbook. No problem! Next thing I knew I was in the principal's office being tested, and shortly I was promoted to second grade. Best thing that ever happened to me.

Of course, this was back in 1960, before all those "modern education" methods damaged the whole concept of teaching.

Incidentally, that first novel I read was Gray Canaan by David Garth. I grokked the battles (and re-enacted them with my toy soldiers) but the boring romance part went overhead at about 30,000 feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 12:55 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,055,607 times
I cringe whenever a newscaster refers to a single soldier as a "troop."

Apparently, I'm not alone: World Wide Words: Troop

Old 02-04-2014, 02:16 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,140,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Well, technically, 'ask' is an ignorant usage and 'aks' is the original form (from the Saxon or Old English, I forget). That's often the case with 'ignorant' usages -- they're not so much ignorant as artifacts of a time gone by.

But that's not the point. Point is you are right -- NO teacher should discourage a kid from learning, or putting their learning to good use.

I had a similar but much better experience in the first couple weeks of first grade. I already read at about a 4th grade level (I read my first complete novel when I was 4 or 5) and had worked out enough phonics to puzzle out almost any word. And I was already a fast reader. Anyway, I zipped through the first grade primer in a few minutes, closed the book, and sat there fidgeting because now I was bored. The teacher told me to read my book, and I said I was already done. She didn't believe me, so she had me read aloud a passage from the teacher's handbook. No problem! Next thing I knew I was in the principal's office being tested, and shortly I was promoted to second grade. Best thing that ever happened to me.

Of course, this was back in 1960, before all those "modern education" methods damaged the whole concept of teaching.

Incidentally, that first novel I read was Gray Canaan by David Garth. I grokked the battles (and re-enacted them with my toy soldiers) but the boring romance part went overhead at about 30,000 feet.
From Wiktionary

Quote:
I was reading National Geographics, all sorts of reference books, and entire collections of short stories before I entered Kindergarten.

Thankfully, this was long before political correctness entered the schools. Instead of taking me to task, the teachers congratulated me.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:35 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,540,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
I cringe whenever a newscaster refers to a single soldier as a "troop."

Apparently, I'm not alone: World Wide Words: Troop
This has bothered me for years. Every time I hear someone say, "A troop was killed today.", I assume they mean more than one - until they say one name.

This just hurts my ears.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:03 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,890,440 times
Hmmm... let's see some literary sources for this ask/aks thing.

Okay, I found it. I was going to provide proof all the way back to Old English (it seems that would have been incomplete ) until I looked-up the word in Saxon. It seems Saxon was acsian and Old English was ascian. However, I think the whole ask/aks thing today is an example of linguistic metathesis.

Whew, I'm glad I found the references - I hate the taste of crow.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 02-05-2014 at 12:16 AM..

Old 02-05-2014, 07:14 AM

8,090 posts, read 15,175,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Hmmm... let's see some literary sources for this ask/aks thing.

Okay, I found it. I was going to provide proof all the way back to Old English (it seems that would have been incomplete ) until I looked-up the word in Saxon. It seems Saxon was acsian and Old English was ascian. However, I think the whole ask/aks thing today is an example of linguistic metathesis.
Which may be, but the more common literary form was aks/ax -- eg. Chaucer. There was nothing 'incorrect' about it until the past 100 years or so.

And from the Linguistics mailing list
LINGUIST List 7.1048: /aks/ and /akst/ in AAVE

"The Old English form is acsian (suggesting an antecedent of aks)"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Whew, I'm glad I found the references - I hate the taste of crow.
I dunno... I kinda like it when it involves Brandon Lee or Mark Dacascos

Old 02-05-2014, 09:22 AM

26,754 posts, read 26,856,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
"A troop was killed today." This just hurts my ears.
And this just hurts my eyes: "H/she was a trooper (it's trouper).

Old 02-05-2014, 02:18 PM

88,638 posts, read 84,911,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
This has bothered me for years. Every time I hear someone say, "A troop was killed today.", I assume they mean more than one - until they say one name.

This just hurts my ears.
Same here. It will say "12,000 troops..." and I'm thinking "how many are in a troop?"

Old 02-05-2014, 04:50 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,140,341 times
Troop was actually a cavalry designation for a small platoon-sized unit.

F Troop. A Troop. And so on.

I also heard it lot while in the military for something like, "He's a really gung-ho troop."

Old 02-08-2014, 04:01 PM

27 posts, read 54,264 times
I don't think that the majority of people who say "aks" today are doing it because of they are fans of Chaucer (who wrote Middle English). It hurts my ears when I hear it and I will not answer a question if it is "aksed" of me.

Something else that bothers me is when someone is reading the news on TV or radio and they mispronounce the word "awry" as in "gone awry" as "Awree."

How could they have reached that level of their profession and not be familiar with the phrase "gone awry" and its pronunciation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing