Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2014, 10:16 AM

26,844 posts, read 27,010,758 times

Advertisements

I just read in the newspaper, "The family were bereaved." Isn't it was bereaved? Or has "family" become like the word "media," either singular or plural? I would think it could be written, "members of the family were bereaved."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 10:54 AM

32,186 posts, read 34,882,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaldo5000 View Post
Everywhere I look I am inundated with it. I don't mind a minor flaw here or there in writing. But, I consistently see horrific misspellings, run-on sentences, lack of paragraph structuring, incoherent themes, etc.. What makes me cringe the most is when somebody presents themself as being educated and their post looks like it was written by a third grader.
Are you being serious?

Old 01-24-2014, 11:02 AM

8,094 posts, read 15,214,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I just read in the newspaper, "The family were bereaved." Isn't it was bereaved? Or has "family" become like the word "media," either singular or plural? I would think it could be written, "members of the family were bereaved."
Media is technically plural; the singular is medium. Latin 101: neuter suffix is -um (singular) or -a (plural). So saying "the media is whatever" is actually incorrect.

Collective nouns like 'family' used to commonly take the plural verb form, but the singular verb is more in use today.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:03 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,998,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanyankee View Post
are you being serious?
lol! I think that's worse than a run on.

Old 01-30-2014, 04:50 PM

32,186 posts, read 34,882,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
lol! I think that's worse than a run on.
Also, can you have an additional period to end a sentence when the last word is "etc."?

Old 01-30-2014, 05:28 PM

8,094 posts, read 15,214,355 times
No. You only get one period.

Old 01-30-2014, 06:10 PM

5,636 posts, read 3,993,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Reziac's response regarding the occurrence of a change of norms was noted. For me, I've noticed that English soccer announcers tend to use the plural form of to be/other verbs when making conjectures about the collective mindsets of teams, or about teams' injury situations. In the US, such verb usage would depend on whether or not you used the city name or the team nickname. For example: "Seattle appears ready for the Superb Owl" (Superb Owl = reference to Stephen Colbert's entertaining way of circumventing the NFL's copyright protection, heh), but "The Seahawks appear ready for the Superb Owl." Extrapolating from what I've seen, English announcers with whom I'm familiar would use the form "appear" regardless of whether they chose "Seattle" or "the Seahawks" as the subject of their sentence. Few English soccer teams are ever referred to by a Seahawks-style plural nickname; rather, you'll hear "Manchester City are dominating play" or "Sunderland are playing better since they replaced their manager" during the commentary.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:50 PM

26,844 posts, read 27,010,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
I've noticed that English soccer announcers tend to use the plural form of to be/other verbs when making conjectures about the collective mindsets of teams or...
Interesting. Kind of like this poster's observation from another thread about musical groups:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
At Grammys, Daft Punk, Pharrell dominate with 4 - KLTV.com-Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville, Texas | ETX News
Daft Punk is just one person? I thought Daft Punk was a duo. Say THIS, silly reporter: "Daft Punk, whose members sport helmets in public..."

Anyway, that's from the AP, but the local headline also couldn't get things right - here's the headline: KLTV.com - Channel 7 News, Weather, & Sports for East Texas - KLTV.com-Tyler, Longview, Jacksonville, Texas | ETX News

I know it's two guys, but that's no better than saying, "KISS dominate" or "Aerosmith dominate." You COULD say, "Daft Punk Duo dominates..." But doesn't "Daft Punk dominate" sound odd?

Old 02-03-2014, 09:36 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,852,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Also, can you have an additional period to end a sentence when the last word is "etc."?

Your post also presents an interesting situation. You have an abbreviation at the end of a sentence within a quote, and it is a question.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:46 AM

27 posts, read 54,476 times
When my daughter was in 3rd grade, her teacher complained that my daughter's writing was pretentious because she used words and punctuation that was more advanced than her classmates. This teacher actually discouraged my daughter from writing short stories. At that time my daughter was obsessed with writing short stories about the adventures of a dog named Zoe. When I learned about this, I demanded a conference with the teacher. In the course of my conversation with this teacher she repeatedly used the phrase "being that" instead of using the word "since" as well as saying "ax" instead of "ask." My daughter never returned to that school. We have school of choice in our county and I enrolled her in a different school district. The teacher at that school tested my daughter and discovered that she was reading and writing at the 12th grade level and it was due in large part to the books that she had read at home (a lot of Jack London) and not the instruction that she had received in school. Our public schools are a disgrace but I believe that they are accomplishing their agenda which is to create a populace that is easily led and easily lied to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing