Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2013, 02:43 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,145,529 times

Advertisements

I hang out on a number of writer's discussion forums and am amazed at the lack of understanding of those who think they can write and publish something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 09:25 AM

42,055 posts, read 75,524,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Does that mean it's getting chilly outside and I need a sweater or "hey, your a cool dude".
Oh, dude, really? In a grammar thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
We shouldn't be too concerned about it on forums like this or other informal uses, but it's a shame that most people don't even know the difference between good & bad grammar
In any written communication, formal or informal, the goal is for the reader to understand the writer's message. If improper grammar hinders that understanding, the writer has failed.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:00 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,885,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

In any written communication, formal or informal, the goal is for the reader to understand the writer's message. If improper grammar hinders that understanding, the writer has failed.
If improper grammar does not hinder the understanding, in a venue such as an internet forum (or chat, or facebook, etc), then it's no biggie.

I agree with otterprods on the subject. It's not so much a matter of writing incorrectly. It's more of a matter at not knowing how wrong you are. Not knowing that the word 'too' means also, the word 'two' means more than one and less than three, the word 'to' connects point A with point B, and 'tew' is an obsolete word formerly used to describe beating leather or hemp.

What bug's me is a lack of knowledge that an apostrophe.........followed by an s.........at the end of a word......doe's not indicate plural..............it indicate's a possessive.......It bug's me....a lack of knowledge of what that even mean's...Not knowing what these thing's are.....including ignorant, blatant abuse of ellipses......bother's me more than knowing....and letting thing's slide now and then.

Lastly, I want to state for the record, that last paragraph was incredibly difficult to type. How the heck do people do that out of ignorance? HOW! How can anyone be so oblivious!!!!!??????? WHAT ABOUT TEH CHILDRENZ!!!!!11111111~~~~```

Old 11-24-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If improper grammar does not hinder the understanding, in a venue such as an internet forum (or chat, or facebook, etc), then it's no biggie.
Incorrect grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc., slow my reading speed. If that speed slows to the point of annoyance or frustration, I move to the next post. The writer has failed.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:30 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,989,160 times
Grammar and Spelling correctly go hand in hand......i since when is the word "DUDE" considered Kosher or Correct.....(shows a persons young age).

Old 11-24-2013, 12:03 PM

36,753 posts, read 14,903,380 times
Quote:
Incorrect grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc., slow my reading speed.....
Because it slows yours doesn't mean it slows everyone else's.

As someone who's always been particular about grammar and spelling in formal communications, I like the informality of message boards and couldn't care less if posters abbreviate, use improper punctuation, or post in any number of ways as a means of emphatic license. It doesn't slow my reading speed one bit.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:19 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,474,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bourgeois View Post
what about overuse of the word "so". Does everyone have to preface every utterance with the word "so"? Its used as a transition, preface, ending to sentences, conversation-gap filler. I am trying to eradicate it from my vocabulary.
If you think 'so' is overused today, I wonder what you would think after a study of Old English. The word swa, our 'so', was an exceptionally high incidence word in the English language. It was used not only adverbialy at he beginning of sentences and as a conjunction -the uses for which it is common to this day- but also in a multitude of short phrase forms in pronomial, conditional, and other expressions. Here is a sampling* of forms which one comes across frequently in Old English texts:

swa swa - so as, so that, just as
swa same - in like manner, therefore : as, like (with comparisons)
swa ... swa - the ... the : expressing temporal sentiment, when, so soon, as soon as : although, unless, yet
swa hwa swa - "so what so" whosoever
swa hwaer swa -"so where so" wherever
swa selfe - in the same way
eac swa - also
swa hwilc swa - whosoever
swa ... ne - though, not
swa theah - nevertheless, yet, however
swa ilce, swilce - such

*J.R. Clark Hall, A Consise Anglo-Saxon Dictionary

Quote:
Grammar and Spelling correctly go hand in hand......i since when is the word "DUDE" considered Kosher or Correct.....(shows a persons young age).
I am not in love with the word 'dude', but it is certainly not used ungrammatically. It sits in place where formerly and currently people use the words friend, fellow, chap, guy, homie, leof, dear, bloke, pal, buddy, lad, and a host of other casual and affectionate terms for ones friends, aquaintances, and peer group members.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:50 PM

8,094 posts, read 15,231,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
If you think 'so' is overused today, I wonder what you would think after a study of Old English.

*J.R. Clark Hall, A Consise Anglo-Saxon Dictionary

Oooh, fun info, and yet another book to seek

Old 11-24-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Because it slows yours doesn't mean it slows everyone else's.
True, but if your goal is to communicate, why risk not being understood or losing your audience's interest?

Old 11-26-2013, 06:49 AM

18,006 posts, read 15,697,505 times
Quote:

Therein lies the caveat. It is quite amazing how many people cannot understand PROPER grammar, and how limited vocabularies are. I am not a grammar nazi, nor am I perfect in either speech or prose. Quite often, I write as I would talk when amongst friends, using words like "ain't" , use of metaphor and sla g as well. However, I have a decent vocabulary, good spelling and a fair command of punctuation and structure. I , personally, know a few people whos grasp of language stopped at Dick and Jane. My ex wife is one such. I stopped writing, as a bobby, for a long time, because she would rail at me about how "stupid" it was, wasting time putting words on paper. Unless, of course, she needed something written, for work or some such. Go figure.

Her attitude about proper speech and writing is quite common. Multiple syllables and lack of slang , in both written and spoken word, well, it just ain't COOL ...dude. Use of the latter word drives me batsh!7!! I am NOT a "dude"!! Or a dawg, homeboy, or any other such thing.

American English has always been different. The type of slang terms used being dependent on what area of the country one is in. Terminology is more a part of an accent, or, at least it used to be. Today, however, young people, in particular, use speech that needs a translator to grasp. Reading and writing are disdained, and to do either for pleasure is a concept as elusive as a will o the wisp on a foggy night.

It's a pity, this. So many imaginations, that could create captivating tales, just wasting away. Yes, language is a gift, car to often, taken for granted. Allowed to languish into mediocrity, and leaving so many sonvs unsung and tales untold. I , personally, despite the rantings of my ex, encouraged my son to read and and express himself on paper. He doesn't do so, as often as I would prefer, but, he, at least, CAN do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing