Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 07:48 PM

30,458 posts, read 23,916,482 times

Advertisements

Have, have, HAVE! For the love of God, type "have", not "of", when one says, "should HAVE", "could HAVE", "would HAVE".

Please, STOP WRITING, "of"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 07:06 AM

134 posts, read 156,049 times
"But, I consistently see horrific misspellings, run-on sentences, lack of paragraph structuring, incoherent themes, etc.. What makes me cringe the most is when somebody presents themself as being educated and their post looks like it was written by a third grader."

I find it ironic to preach against the use of improper grammar, when you didn't use it properly. I don't know about you, but I learned that conjunctions cannot start sentences. Starting a sentence with a conjunction is wrong, because using a conjunction makes the clause dependent. Sentences must be an independent clause or have a independent clause in them.You may say, "Well, there are many authors that start sentences for emphasis." It's still wrong.They should stop doing that, because before we realize it the rule will be forgotten. What I think that using a conjunction in an improper place emphasises is the indifference to proper grammar. I apologize for any spelling or grammatical mistakes I made.Though it's not an excuse I do have dyslexia.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:18 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,350,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Have, have, HAVE! For the love of God, type "have", not "of", when one says, "should HAVE", "could HAVE", "would HAVE".

Please, STOP WRITING, "of"!

Old 05-30-2012, 01:56 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,862,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rj7237 View Post
"But, I consistently see horrific misspellings, run-on sentences, lack of paragraph structuring, incoherent themes, etc.. What makes me cringe the most is when somebody presents themself as being educated and their post looks like it was written by a third grader."

I find it ironic to preach against the use of improper grammar, when you didn't use it properly. I don't know about you, but I learned that conjunctions cannot start sentences. Starting a sentence with a conjunction is wrong, because using a conjunction makes the clause dependent. Sentences must be an independent clause or have a independent clause in them.You may say, "Well, there are many authors that start sentences for emphasis." It's still wrong.They should stop doing that, because before we realize it the rule will be forgotten. What I think that using a conjunction in an improper place emphasises is the indifference to proper grammar. I apologize for any spelling or grammatical mistakes I made.Though it's not an excuse I do have dyslexia.
I would have used "however." => However, it's not an excuse. I do have dyslexia.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:06 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,767,828 times
Damned text messaging

Old 05-30-2012, 04:53 PM

689 posts, read 2,170,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rj7237 View Post
"
They should stop doing that, because before we realize it the rule will be forgotten..
Good Lord, what could be worse than a rule that gets forgotten and simply passes into oblivion, disappearing through attrition. The rules of grammar were all simply made up by people who were self-declared grammarians. Of course, there had to be rules, to bring order from chaos, but that by itself is no argument that every rule is sacrosanct and language should never evolve.

There are all kinds of things that, according to the rules, can be done in English provided an element is understood, such as the rule that the imperative requires no object. Grammarians could simply state that if the antecedent is understood, the speaker can proceed with the And or the But as though it had been expressed. How hard can that be?

Old 06-02-2012, 10:35 PM

802 posts, read 1,688,513 times
Before I comment, I just want to say that I am currently a high school senior and I'm in the best position to judge the quality of education that students are now provided.

First off, I don't think there is a general decline in the quality of writing among our current generation. The internet and the evolution of mass media have simply exposed writer's mistakes that have been occurring for generations upon generations. Furthermore, I was taught the basic rules of grammar during my years in elementary school. A student only goes as far as the effort he or she puts in to applying the material that he or she learns. Personally, I felt (and still feel) the more I read, the better writer I became. The problem is that many individuals find the act of reading to be an unbearable and boring experience. Once again, I don't believe this is just an ailment of our current generation.

Finally, judging from my high school, there is a marginal educational gap between the top kids in the class and those ranked in the middle to bottom range. The top students are provided with top-notch teachers who succeed in getting us to perform exceptionally well on the AP exams in US History, Language and Composition, and Literature and Composition. Despite this, the bottom of my high school class produces papers that are middle school level at best. I don't know why such a divide exists in my school, but it's very interesting to see such a drastic difference within one building (and for clarification, I go to a public high school which is not ranked anywhere near the top of any schools in NJ). Just as some adults have developed an uncanny mastery of the English language, some students are able to formulate excellent essays in a short period of time, while other students struggle to write a cohesive and organized paper.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:41 PM

578 posts, read 1,095,920 times
I hope your not using citi forum as your reference. When typing on a phone one doesn't have the patience to correct.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:19 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,862,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deliz View Post
I hope your not using citi forum as your reference. When typing on a phone one doesn't have the patience to correct.
I couldn't resist.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:17 PM

12,406 posts, read 19,023,833 times
I find it laughable (I'm sometimes cruel) when a person posts in one of the state forums, wanting information on which city to move to. Sometimes their grammar is so bad that they get no answer at all. Stay where you are! We don't want you here!

The one thing that really irks me is people on the media not pronouncing "t's", as in 'innerstate' and 'innernet'. Part of spelling well is the habit of pronouncing words properly.

I knew a kid whose mom had been an English teacher. She taught him to pronounce - silently - a word phonetically to remember the correct spelling, such as 'serge.ant'. I always thought that was an interesting thing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing