Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2015, 02:51 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,975,037 times

Advertisements

There are TO/TOO/TWO many words that sound the same but will have a different meaning depending on their usage/context.

Generally the mind will work (for me that is) when typing I will type the letters that come first in my mind thus sounding like I cannot spell or am a DUNCE/DUMBELL......at least the degree on the wall says otherwise...then again maybe old age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 03:29 AM

39 posts, read 37,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
Several people here literally need this shirt:
I love that shirt. w
Where can I get one?

Old 06-10-2015, 03:43 AM

39 posts, read 37,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
Excuse for me for ranting a little about grammar,

I have terrible grammar skills. I still struggle with punctuation rules. My biggest pet peeve about grammar rules is they always appear to be changing. Once I learn something one way, they, grammar police, have to go and change it. I really wish I would have learned how to properly use grammar in the correct context. I am frustrated by the fact that I had teachers in elementary and middle school who felt it was necessary to shame me, when I made a mistake, in front of the class. That really messes with a child's psych at a young age. I take full responsibility for my inability to learn, due to undiagnosed learning disabilities, but why is the english/american language so difficult to learn. I would hate to be a foreigner trying to learn English. Luckily for me, I have learned to work on my grammar.

For the longest time I thought people were putting a semicolon after a name. So, for instance, they would day Dear ...;, it always looked like a semicolon to me. My Dad finally taught me that you only put a semicolon to connect two independent thoughts/clauses. Now I know not to put a semicolon after it.

I wish I wrote as well as you all and knew all the grammar rules. Any suggestions on easy ways to properly learn grammar?

Thank you folks.

Charles.
Read the writer posts. I am so glad published writers take the time to teach us. There was a great deal of talk about Stephen King's book for writers. others were mentioned, read the posts. I had a real hard time with grammar until I took a few classes and read advice from other writers.

Old 06-10-2015, 02:43 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,037,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meolson92953 View Post
I love that shirt. w
Where can I get one?
Misuse of Literally Makes Me Figuratively Insane T-Shirt | SnorgTees

Old 06-11-2015, 10:25 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,596,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meolson92953 View Post
Read the writer posts. I am so glad published writers take the time to teach us. There was a great deal of talk about Stephen King's book for writers. others were mentioned, read the posts. I had a real hard time with grammar until I took a few classes and read advice from other writers.
"a really hard time"

Old 06-11-2015, 02:29 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,931,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
"a really hard time"
"a difficult time"

Old 06-11-2015, 09:22 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,931,515 times
I've been guilty of having too many commas in a few posts lately. I guess I need to proofread after modifying the sentences. Here's one of the latest...

"...A girl brought-up in a secure, loving, home..."

If I'm going to pick on the grammar of others, I might as well point-out my own mistakes.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:26 AM

26,844 posts, read 27,010,758 times
This is hysterical. I need to order one of these T-shirts.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:11 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,278,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I've been guilty of having too many commas in a few posts lately. I guess I need to proofread after modifying the sentences. Here's one of the latest...

"...A girl brought-up in a secure, loving, home..."

If I'm going to pick on the grammar of others, I might as well point-out my own mistakes.
You are forgiven. Your humor and wit negate any comma-crimes. Go in peace.
-

Old 06-13-2015, 09:42 PM

33,015 posts, read 36,575,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You are forgiven. Your humor and wit negate any comma-crimes. Go in peace.
-
I thought it was a hyphen crime,,,,,,but the comma crimes,,,,,,can be overlooked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing