Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2018, 01:19 AM

24,846 posts, read 9,605,459 times

Advertisements

Grammar, English language, etc are all about rules.

In today's world, folks just don't care about the rules or don't know them.

I understand using the wrong "then" and "then" but if you use the wrong "they're, there, and their, " then there is no hope for society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2018, 07:30 AM

26,844 posts, read 27,016,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Dude, forums are the scum at the bottom of the pond. You are lucky on a forum if the post is comprehensible.

Worry about your own grammar. Ignore the rest. Skip the topics that are incomprehensible.
The OP hasn't checked back in for 7 years.

Also, this is the writing forum, the only place on C-D in which we can discuss errors in writing. Try doing it elsewhere and you'll get completely chewed out (understandably).

Old 03-16-2018, 09:07 AM

14,530 posts, read 20,200,481 times
Thanks for the info CA4Now. Every topic needs a fact checker.

The big change we are seeing is that people always had bad grammar. It's only with the advent of the Internet that they have been able to communicate their malformed missives and share them with the public. Before then their bad grammar was stuck to their refrigerator with a magnet.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:13 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,596,980 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info CA4Now. Every topic needs a fact checker.

The big change we are seeing is that people always had bad grammar. It's only with the advent of the Internet that they have been able to communicate their malformed missives and share them with the public. Before then their bad grammar was stuck to their refrigerator with a magnet.

I agree. I always thought EVERYONE knew how to write properly, it was expected.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:43 AM

19,193 posts, read 25,462,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I agree. I always thought EVERYONE knew how to write properly, it was expected.
I graded students' papers for over 40 years, and I never saw the types of egregious language errors that I observe in internet forums on a daily basis. Most of the papers that I graded were those of high school students, but while I was in college I helped my mother to grade the papers of her 5th graders, and even those young kids did not display the types of spelling and punctuation errors that are commonplace in online forums.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:47 AM

6,005 posts, read 4,810,966 times
I ran into my middle school English teacher two weeks ago after not having seen her for many years. (I'm going to be 50 years old this June.) I told her, "Thank you for being such a strict teacher!" I meant it, too. I didn't like her much back when I was in school, but I surely can appreciate how much she taught me.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:09 PM

I wonder if there has been some change in the quality of the students, the quality of the teachers, the quality of schools, or all of the above.

I was appalled years ago about some sort of "new math." I can't see any reason to not teach math the same as I learned it. I got my BSEE degree so I guess it worked. I wonder now, do they let students use calculators in math classes? I presume that would be on their cellphones since I suspect that calculators that don't do anything else are probably obsolete.

And what's this with not teaching cursive writing? How are you going to sign a contract? With a bit X?

I guess fingerprints and biometrics are taking the place of the scrawled we've had for centuries.

Sometimes I wonder what's the use. Most of those kids who don't go to college are headed for dead-end jobs where they can learn everything they need to know on their first day on the job.

They can get direct deposit and get their cash at ATMs. If they don't have Apple pay or one of the other electronic payment methods in their cell, I get by just fine signing my credit card purchases with a wavy line. Why even bother to form a personal signature? Who is going to look at it anyway? Nobody.

I have serious concern for stupid or lazy people who don't learn anything and don't have any job skills. What use are they in the modern world except as consumer fodder?

Old 03-16-2018, 12:21 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,596,980 times
Quote:
I wonder if there has been some change in the quality of the students, the quality of the teachers, the quality of schools, or all of the above.

I was appalled years ago about some sort of "new math." I can't see any reason to not teach math the same as I learned it. I got my BSEE degree so I guess it worked. I wonder now, do they let students use calculators in math classes? I presume that would be on their cellphones since I suspect that calculators that don't do anything else are probably obsolete.

And what's this with not teaching cursive writing? How are you going to sign a contract? With a bit X?

I guess fingerprints and biometrics are taking the place of the scrawled we've had for centuries.

Sometimes I wonder what's the use. Most of those kids who don't go to college are headed for dead-end jobs where they can learn everything they need to know on their first day on the job.

They can get direct deposit and get their cash at ATMs. If they don't have Apple pay or one of the other electronic payment methods in their cell, I get by just fine signing my credit card purchases with a wavy line. Why even bother to form a personal signature? Who is going to look at it anyway? Nobody.

I have serious concern for stupid or lazy people who don't learn anything and don't have any job skills. What use are they in the modern world except as consumer fodder?

How can you read the Constitution?

Old 03-16-2018, 12:51 PM

26,844 posts, read 27,016,943 times
Quote:
I remember when--in my state, anyway--public school standards dictated that creative writing did not necessarily have to include correct punctuation, verb tense, spelling, etc. The students were told to get their thoughts down, and that was what mattered. My oldest was learning to write then...teachers did not correct their work. Later those kids hit early middle school and all that phonetic writing was impossible to read. Many of them never learned to write clearly.

Old 03-16-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I remember when--in my state, anyway--public school standards dictated that creative writing did not necessarily have to include correct punctuation, verb tense, spelling, etc. The students were told to get their thoughts down, and that was what mattered. My oldest was learning to write then...teachers did not correct their work. Later those kids hit early middle school and all that phonetic writing was impossible to read. Many of them never learned to write clearly.
That is opposite to what I was taught. I was taught that everything matters: spelling, grammar, punctuation, organization of thoughts.

We learned good writing, not the dreck they teach now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing