Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2015, 12:18 AM

33,017 posts, read 36,582,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Maybe my wording was ambiguous, but yes, I think Gerania was agreeing with me.
Yes, she was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 03:42 PM

26,844 posts, read 27,016,943 times
Here's someone who takes his grammar seriously!
​Man's Wikipedia crusade turns him into grammar hero - CBS News

Old 05-05-2015, 11:03 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,791,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Raab View Post
I'm told by reliable sources that grammar is no longer taught -
I taught it to my kids....diagramming sentences and everything.

I taught them spelling also....they are great spellers, compared to their peers.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:44 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,691,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Oh, my gosh. How do I make these people my best friends? My banana bread is pretty good. I wonder if that's enough?

Old 05-06-2015, 10:54 AM

50,459 posts, read 64,328,280 times
Totally, agree. One of the greatest gifts I got in life was that I went to school in the days when spelling and grammar counted.
I can still diagram the heck out a sentence.
The new math rolled in at 5th grade, so I never did well in math after that, but at least I can soar on good writing. Imagine the poor kid who can't write a decent paragraph or do math.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:33 AM

I have no idea how to diagram a sentence. It was taught when I was in school, but I never learned how. (I was a jerk in school) My best friend is an English teacher and she says, for the most part, it's not taught anymore. She does, though. She insists on it.

I remember when New Math rolled in. I was very confused. Thank goodness my teachers had the autonomy to exercise discretion and, before long, abandoned it.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Because I had no idea comprised of would draw the ire of anyone, I looked it up. I still don't quite get it, but this was interesting:

Why Wikipedia's grammar vigilante is wrong | David Shariatmadari | Comment is free | The Guardian

^This person states that comprised of is a synonym of composed of, and its use is a matter of taste.

Yes? No? Maybe so?

Old 05-06-2015, 02:14 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,104,603 times
Excuse for me for ranting a little about grammar,

I have terrible grammar skills. I still struggle with punctuation rules. My biggest pet peeve about grammar rules is they always appear to be changing. Once I learn something one way, they, grammar police, have to go and change it. I really wish I would have learned how to properly use grammar in the correct context. I am frustrated by the fact that I had teachers in elementary and middle school who felt it was necessary to shame me, when I made a mistake, in front of the class. That really messes with a child's psych at a young age. I take full responsibility for my inability to learn, due to undiagnosed learning disabilities, but why is the english/american language so difficult to learn. I would hate to be a foreigner trying to learn English. Luckily for me, I have learned to work on my grammar.

For the longest time I thought people were putting a semicolon after a name. So, for instance, they would day Dear ...;, it always looked like a semicolon to me. My Dad finally taught me that you only put a semicolon to connect two independent thoughts/clauses. Now I know not to put a semicolon after it.

I wish I wrote as well as you all and knew all the grammar rules. Any suggestions on easy ways to properly learn grammar?

Thank you folks.

Charles.

Old 05-07-2015, 01:42 PM

37,260 posts, read 41,483,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
Excuse for me for ranting a little about grammar,

I have terrible grammar skills. I still struggle with punctuation rules. My biggest pet peeve about grammar rules is they always appear to be changing. Once I learn something one way, they, grammar police, have to go and change it. I really wish I would have learned how to properly use grammar in the correct context. I am frustrated by the fact that I had teachers in elementary and middle school who felt it was necessary to shame me, when I made a mistake, in front of the class. That really messes with a child's psych at a young age. I take full responsibility for my inability to learn, due to undiagnosed learning disabilities, but why is the english/american language so difficult to learn. I would hate to be a foreigner trying to learn English. Luckily for me, I have learned to work on my grammar.

For the longest time I thought people were putting a semicolon after a name. So, for instance, they would day Dear ...;, it always looked like a semicolon to me. My Dad finally taught me that you only put a semicolon to connect two independent thoughts/clauses. Now I know not to put a semicolon after it.

I wish I wrote as well as you all and knew all the grammar rules. Any suggestions on easy ways to properly learn grammar?

Thank you folks.

Charles.
Read books published before computers and the internet were invented.

Keep practicing.

Old 05-13-2015, 07:51 AM

26,844 posts, read 27,016,943 times
I had to re-read this to figure out exactly what was meant here:
Woman stabbed 32 times to marry man who saved her

("A Tampa Bay Rays fan who miraculously survived being stabbed 32 times by an ex-boyfriend in 2012 received a romantic surprise on Monday when her current boyfriend proposed to her on the mound before the Rays hosted the New York Yankees.")
Rays fan gets marriage proposal from man who saved her life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing