Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2012, 11:07 PM

284 posts, read 499,976 times

Advertisements

Plurals like passersby are difficult to remember, especially when speaking. Honestly, she was applying the rules of English as she knows them, which is to just add an "s" to the end of word when it doubt. We don't have that many irregular plurals and the few we do have are changing, as language does ("fishes" is becoming an accepted pluralization of fish). I wouldn't hold it against her for too long.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:31 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,824,559 times
I guess we just expect more from a journalist, a vocation that has language as the vehicle.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:25 AM

2,075 posts, read 5,124,764 times
I agree, PanTerra.
Pet peeve: the way people pronounce jewelry. It is JEWELry not JEWLERy. Unfortunately more often than not I hear them say (right now on the Today Show) JEWLERy. Why?
Same with ath-A-lete vs athlete and real-A-tor vs realtor.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:03 AM

I keep hearing in advertising the benefits of something that is four times less.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
I agree, PanTerra.
Pet peeve: the way people pronounce jewelry. It is JEWELry not JEWLERy. Unfortunately more often than not I hear them say (right now on the Today Show) JEWLERy. Why?
Same with ath-A-lete vs athlete and real-A-tor vs realtor.
Wow, you've never heard of dialect? There are at least three different ways to pronounce the word caramel in the US alone. I know of at least two different ways to say the word library. Don't get me started on pin/pen. I generally say com-fer-ta-ble when I say the world comfortable, but most people say comf-ter-ble. Which way is "correct"? I think that both are.

Four countries (USA, UK, AU, & NZ) speak English as their native (and often only) language, and nearly one hundred others have it listed as an official language (one their citizens learn from birth usually). That's billions of native English speakers. Can we really expect billions of speakers all over the world to say every word the same way?

Not gonna happen. We can't even get the four official English speaking countries to agree on how to spell every English word (neighbor/neighbour). And there are vowel shifts happening in the US as we speak (look 'em up) so if pronunciation makes you twitch, I'd stop watching TV.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:36 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,193,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
I keep hearing in advertising the benefits of something that is four times less.

...or 50% more. Of what? There needs to be some sort of baseline established.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:42 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,193,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wscottling View Post
Wow, you've never heard of dialect? There are at least three different ways to pronounce the word caramel in the US alone. I know of at least two different ways to say the word library. Don't get me started on pin/pen. I generally say com-fer-ta-ble when I say the world comfortable, but most people say comf-ter-ble. Which way is "correct"? I think that both are.

Four countries (USA, UK, AU, & NZ) speak English as their native (and often only) language, and nearly one hundred others have it listed as an official language (one their citizens learn from birth usually). That's billions of native English speakers. Can we really expect billions of speakers all over the world to say every word the same way?

Not gonna happen. We can't even get the four official English speaking countries to agree on how to spell every English word (neighbor/neighbour). And there are vowel shifts happening in the US as we speak (look 'em up) so if pronunciation makes you twitch, I'd stop watching TV.
Honestly I disagree that those can be chalked up just to dialect. When letters are swapped or letters added that don't exist in a word, that isn't dialect.

You don't go to the store and ask to see a jewler when speaking about a particular stone..."That's a really nice ruby jewler!"

Any way...IMHO. Gotta run to the liberry...

Old 09-04-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
...or 50% more. Of what? There needs to be some sort of baseline established.
Well, I understand 50% more as meaning 1.5 times the original quantity. But 4 times less is not logical when attributing real positive values, as that would be a negative quantity. 4 times more is understandable, but 4 times less?

Old 09-04-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wscottling View Post

Well, let me aks you this... Is that acceptable?

Old 09-04-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Well, let me aks you this... Is that acceptable?
Yes. It is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing