Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 12:16 PM

37,260 posts, read 41,483,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I actually emailed a local radio station about their pronunciation of whooping cough. I got so sick and tired of hearing them say WUPPING cough. These are radio station news readers so you'd think they would know. It's pronounced like hooping, not wupping. All the listeners are learning to say WUPPING if those people don't use correct pronunciation.

Grammar, spelling, pronunciation--no one seems to care anymore. None of it is taught in schools apparently and if you correct someone on CD they accuse you of being The (fill in the blank) Police.

As long as I'm ranting, phonics is responsible for some of the bad spelling. It's a system of teaching reading that goes in and out of fashion. Thank goodness, when I was in school, it was OUT.
I do not think we can blame phonics. It was taught when I was in school, along with diagramming sentences. I think both of those help us understand the structure of language, and phonics lets you go to a dictionary and see how to pronounce an unfamiliar word. Sure, you can now go on the internet and hear someone say it.

To me, phonics is to spoken language as memorizing multiplication tables is to using a calculator. Even if you use a calculator, there are times when it is useful to be able to multiply two numbers in your head.

The enemy of spelling is that schools do not make spelling count. It should count in every written assignment a student does. Unfortunately, we have about two generations of teachers who were not taught to spell and who do not recognize misspelled words. That makes it tough to correct.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:20 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,344,921 times
I don't think pronunciation is the only problem (though it sure is one). Many people actually don't get to read the proper spelling of many words. So they don't know how to write it. Reading improves spelling. Of course, if you only read mistakes (thank you internet!), then you may make them too...

Old 10-31-2012, 12:22 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,344,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The enemy of spelling is that schools do not make spelling count. It should count in every written assignment a student does. Unfortunately, we have about two generations of teachers who were not taught to spell and who do not recognize misspelled words. That makes it tough to correct.

I have an acquaintance who used to teach 5th grade, but you should see the mistakes she makes. Scary!

Old 10-31-2012, 12:27 PM

29,231 posts, read 22,482,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
The radio station I listen to is WLW. A few of the younger news reporters pronounce it "dubaya el dubaya."
Announcer speak. Radio announcers often have to speak rapidly, so they develop speech patterns that work for them. I once hear one pronounce Colorado Springs, Colorado as Coderado Springs, Coderado. ( my spell check wants to change that word into "Cheddar".)

Old 10-31-2012, 12:42 PM

29,231 posts, read 22,482,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
I don't think pronunciation is the only problem (though it sure is one). Many people actually don't get to read the proper spelling of many words. So they don't know how to write it. Reading improves spelling. Of course, if you only read mistakes (thank you internet!), then you may make them too...
Yup. If anything, I tend to think the net is more responsible that teachers for bad spelling by far. Even the worst English teacher would not allow H8 as a substitute for 'hate' or "boi" for "boy". That kind of juvenile intentional mis-spelling is cute when a person is 15, but adults adopt the crap all too quickly.

Spelling skill has severely worsened. The difference between "heel" and "heal" is obvious in their meanings, but "heal" has taken over.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:01 PM

26,847 posts, read 27,016,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Although I'm embarrassed to admit that I watch Rehab with Dr. Drew, I was astounded when the good doctor actually said to someone "it was just one of them things".
Do you think that he was joking? You know how people say things like, "that ain't going to happen," when they know perfectly well that it's poor grammar? (If not, off the show, Dr. Drew!)

Old 10-31-2012, 03:04 PM

26,847 posts, read 27,016,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I actually emailed a local radio station about their pronunciation of whooping cough. I got so sick and tired of hearing them say WUPPING cough.
Especially when the "whoop" is supposed to mimic the sound that the person with Pertussis makes when h/she coughs.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:40 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,885,665 times
One of my elementary teachers used to repeat grammar mistakes back to the student. She would say, "I seen him" or "Was you going to tbe store?" Then she would say, "Doesn't that just sound wrong?" Or, "Doesn't that just hurt your ears?"

Old 10-31-2012, 04:59 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,371,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Do you think that he was joking? You know how people say things like, "that ain't going to happen," when they know perfectly well that it's poor grammar? (If not, off the show, Dr. Drew!)
No, he was not joking. He was talking about a serious subject in a serious manner. He made one other mistake too, but I can't for the life of me remember exactly what it was. I can tell the difference between your example ( I use ain't sometimes but it's always wryly or sarcastically) and an actual misuse of a word. I see this a lot in everyday life. I think nobody has the nerve to correct them. I know I don't. I just bite my tongue.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:05 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,853,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
No, he was not joking. He was talking about a serious subject in a serious manner. He made one other mistake too, but I can't for the life of me remember exactly what it was. I can tell the difference between your example ( I use ain't sometimes but it's always wryly or sarcastically) and an actual misuse of a word. I see this a lot in everyday life. I think nobody has the nerve to correct them. I know I don't. I just bite my tongue.
He didn't say 'them thar' did he?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing