Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2012, 10:18 PM

848 posts, read 1,953,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
They don't mean the same thing. A person who "goes missing" retains full opacity. His whereabouts are simply unknown by the person who says he is gone missing.

"Missing persons" are a legal category of people whose whereabouts are unknown by people who expect to know their whereabouts.
Thanks for the distinction in definition. The application of use I had in mind was for missing persons. It's only been the last several (five ?) years or so that I've notice a complete switch of terms from "disappeared" to "went missing." "Went missing" is used for missing person cases across the board, regardless of circumstances, and I find it irritating.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:58 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Hollow View Post
Thanks for the distinction in definition. The application of use I had in mind was for missing persons. It's only been the last several (five ?) years or so that I've notice a complete switch of terms from "disappeared" to "went missing." "Went missing" is used for missing person cases across the board, regardless of circumstances, and I find it irritating.
"went missing" reminds me of hide-and-seek.

Most people who "go missing" don't do it voluntarily.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:19 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,823,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm sick of hearing Potographer. It's Photographer. PH, not P. It's on the radio and tv; I don't think I've heard an ordinary person say it.
Really? That is a new one on me.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:16 AM

44,360 posts, read 20,066,476 times
Quote:
I'm sick of hearing Potographer. It's Photographer. PH, not P. It's on the radio and tv; I don't think I've heard an ordinary person say it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Really? That is a new one on me.
That's a new one to me as well. I've never heard anyone say "potographer," nor have I seen it written that way.

A couple that bug me are "ATM machine" and "PIN number." These are redundant. ATM stands for Automated Teller Machine and PIN is Personal Identification Number. Therefore, when someone says "ATM machine," they are actually saying Automated Teller Machine machine and when they say "PIN number," they are saying Personal Identification Number number.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:50 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,357,458 times
Quote:
Never heard of this. Are you sure they didn't say topographer?

Old 11-02-2012, 01:35 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post
That's a new one to me as well. I've never heard anyone say "potographer," nor have I seen it written that way.

A couple that bug me are "ATM machine" and "PIN number." These are redundant. ATM stands for Automated Teller Machine and PIN is Personal Identification Number. Therefore, when someone says "ATM machine," they are actually saying Automated Teller Machine machine and when they say "PIN number," they are saying Personal Identification Number number.

My son always cringes at MLB baseball, NFL football, NASCAR auto racing, etc. that the preview channel writes.
He also cringes at the above mentioned.

I've even seen "PIN number" written on papers from the bank!
Nope...
It's

There loosers maroon!
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=maroon

Old 11-02-2012, 06:15 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,273,680 times
I'm sort of seeing a guy who twice now has said "long jeopardy" instead of "longevity".

Old 11-02-2012, 06:51 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,124,383 times
I just read "hopeing for a breathe of fresh air" ...

Old 11-03-2012, 09:20 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post

There are many different kinds of pins, so in spoken discourse, it is necessary to distinguish the PIN number from other kinds of pins. If your meaning is in doubt, would you call it a "PI Number"?

Old 11-03-2012, 10:59 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
"Ink pen." I suppose to distinguish from a lead pen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing