Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 05:08 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,594,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Although I'm embarrassed to admit that I watch Rehab with Dr. Drew, I was astounded when the good doctor actually said to someone "it was just one of them things". I'm always amazed to hear highly educated professionals in all walks of life use improper grammar. It actually makes me wince. I thank the gods every day that I had parents that constantly corrected me when I used poor grammar.

Copy that. My Mother only had a High School education, but was an executive secy. God forbid we used improper grammar. Thanks, Mom!

Old 10-31-2012, 06:02 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,370,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
He didn't say 'them thar' did he?
No, but it was something along the lines of "I seen". I'll let you know if he says anything else in the course of the season. Because obviously I'm the only idiot watching this show!

Old 10-31-2012, 06:14 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,884,078 times
From C-D: "should of" and "must of."

Old 10-31-2012, 07:05 PM

848 posts, read 1,956,802 times
What ever happened to using the word 'disappeared?' 'Went missing' sounds so stupid.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:54 PM

37,240 posts, read 41,470,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Hollow View Post
What ever happened to using the word 'disappeared?' 'Went missing' sounds so stupid.
I thought "went missing" sounded British, and apparently it is:

Grammar Girl : Went Missing :: Quick and Dirty Tips ™

"The reason went missing sounds strange to Americans is that it's a British idiom (1, 2). I've seen sources placing the first use of went missing as far back as 1944 (3), but my version of the Oxford English Dictionary places the first use in a 1958 book by British writer Norman Franks (4)."

So it's not really incorrect, it just gives Americans the same sort of jolt that calling an elevator a "lift" or the trunk of a car the "boot" does.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:32 PM

37,240 posts, read 41,470,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Copy that. My Mother only had a High School education, but was an executive secy. God forbid we used improper grammar. Thanks, Mom!
My parents graduated from high school in the early 1940s, having attended small schools in small towns. Back then, there were only eleven grades. But both of them spoke grammatically correct English. My father worked as a printer --- he was a Linotype operator --- but he could set type by hand, too. That meant he had to be able to read it in mirror reverse.

My mother vividly remembered one of her teachers reading Shakespeare and other poets aloud. Miss Regina Pinkston was a legend and an inspiration to future teachers over several generations. I thought if I Googled her, I would find comments from her students, and I did:

Jan's Family - Past and Present: June 2011

"Andrea and Peggy may smile when they see that "Miss Regina Pinkston" was her classmate. Miss Pinkston was my favorite teacher in high school. I had her for Geometry, Trig, and Senior English. If I had known how great she was, I would have taken Latin from her. I was told that she was certified to teach every course taught at our high school except shop.

I believe she had Macbeth memorized. I can almost hear her recite the part of the witches talking around the cauldron "double, double toil and trouble". I never had a teacher or professor who entranced me from the moment she began class until it concluded. My worst nightmare was being required to memorize a poem and reciting it in her class. My knees were literally knocking.

Year after year Miss Pinkston was chosen as the Teacher of the Year by the Valedictorian. After she retired from teaching, she wrote a comprehensive history of Meriwether County."

Are kids even asked to memorize anything now? After all, why bother if you can just read it any time you want to!

The blog author notes, "When I was in college my mom corrected my letters and returned them with spelling and punctuation errors noted in red. Now I perpetually revise my writing."

Apparently Miss Pinkston was fond of this one, too:

Skipper Ireson

"Tarred and feathered and carried in a cart
By the women of Marblehead!"

My sons were fortunate to have some memorable teachers also, but I feat that the like of Miss Regina are now few and far between.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:35 AM

2,952 posts, read 5,221,951 times
Probably mentioned many times on this lengthy thread, but 'I COULD care less" is more popular than ever.

I've tried to tell people they likely mean "I couldn't care less," but I'm unable to get through to them without a "huh"? Thankfully, a Romney tv ad the other night had him using it properly.

Even a respected local talk show host, a lawyer, said it again tonight.

The proper way almost sounds awkward, almost like a double negative, perhaps?

Also, another host on WBZ in Boston constantly says "between you and I" instead of "me.". I admit that for years after college, I probably didn't know or care that the preposition "between" mandates "you and me" and not "you and I."

He even has admitted he wishes to know proper grammar, but if nobody else knows or cares...or if it's too risky to possibly insult someone's intelligence, why bother?

Hey, I know I'm uncomfortable if someone dares correct me...

I agree with an earlier poster about the misuse of "them."

"Them guys will be over soon" is ghetto, but do these people even know or care. "How 'bout them apples" rolls off the tongue, but again, do they realize it's wrong? Well, at least I think it is, no?

"Pick up them toys" should be "those toys," no?

Old 11-01-2012, 06:52 AM

26,839 posts, read 27,005,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
God forbid we used improper grammar. Thanks, Mom!
My mom used to tell one particular neighborhood kid who would say, "Where's it at?" not to end her sentences with a preposition. I thought it was embarrassing then but now....you're right, thanks, Mom.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:36 PM

88,860 posts, read 85,293,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Hollow View Post
That's a peeve of mine, too. I used to hear it as a regional term on TV, something that people out in the midwest used. "Gone missing, went missing". Then I started to hear it on the NEWS, and then my own daughter started saying it.

Old 11-01-2012, 01:13 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,884,078 times
"Pitcher" as in "Look at this pitcher of my baby!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing