Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2012, 07:28 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,847,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Don't understand how it could be auto-correct. It was a SIGN in front of a restaurant, the kind where a human being had to go out there with a bunch of letters and place them into the slots.

Stop hitting your head like that. It's gonna leave a mark.
Yeah, that's pretty bad. Manager sent a text for the sign, and the person putting it up, thought OK, that's what it says. it looks like what some of my texts say if I don't proof it before hitting send.

Old 11-23-2012, 09:14 AM

19,174 posts, read 25,439,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Yeah, that's pretty bad. Manager sent a text for the sign, and the person putting it up, thought OK, that's what it says. it looks like what some of my texts say if I don't proof it before hitting send.
Some people are very literal when told what words to place on a sign.
As an example, how about this fuel-delivery truck that was photographed in Oman?
I'm sure that the sign-painter's defense was that he had been told to, "paint Diesel Fuel in Arabic and No Smoking in Arabic", instead of being told to translate the appropriate words into Arabic, and to paint the Arabic words onto the tank.

Of course, it is hard to explain the two different spellings for the word, "Arabic".
They must have hired a bargain-basement sign painter.

Last edited by Retriever; 11-23-2012 at 09:39 AM..

Old 11-23-2012, 10:27 AM

513 posts, read 739,485 times
Default Terrific!

^^^
I love this! Thank you for sharing it--I sent it and the picture to my fellow proofreaders and/or transcriptionists, as well as others (granddaughter) ---

Old 11-24-2012, 05:26 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,165,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Some people are very literal when told what words to place on a sign.
As an example, how about this fuel-delivery truck that was photographed in Oman?
I'm sure that the sign-painter's defense was that he had been told to, "paint Diesel Fuel in Arabic and No Smoking in Arabic", instead of being told to translate the appropriate words into Arabic, and to paint the Arabic words onto the tank.

Of course, it is hard to explain the two different spellings for the word, "Arabic".
They must have hired a bargain-basement sign painter.

Along a similar line, there was a story about a missionary in China in an earlier century, who had a woodworker make him a table, and drew a careful picture of what he wanted in perfect perspective. The finished table's back legs were shorter than the front legs, and the top was rhombus-shaped.

Old 11-25-2012, 07:59 AM

If someone wants to display his...impaired literacy...to the rest of humanity, this is surely one of the best ways to do it.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:18 PM

I have to assume that everyone is simply speechless after my last post!

Last edited by Retriever; 11-26-2012 at 05:28 PM..

Old 11-26-2012, 06:45 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,368,339 times
Well, it's couldn't get any worse. Yeah, I'm kind of speechless. I hope it hurts like hell to get that tattoo fixed.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:09 PM

286 posts, read 418,669 times
Default I REALLY can't take it anymore.

I came across this post while browsing the forums this evening.

I don't know what to say.

"My daugther and husband and kids were going to move in to... But before they could move in, they wanted to sanitize townhouse before moving in, they notice some roaches so they brought those bomber things to kill roaches, so they did this and came back in 2 days to check, and notice some roaches dead and more live roaches. So they clean up again and bomb again. This went on for about 2 in half weeks. So they was wondering where are all these roaches coming from. So they look inside the townhouse attach to the one they were going to move in to and saw, hills and hills, hills,hills or trash and garbage. They went out back hills, hills, hills, hills, hills, hills, hills, hills, hills, of trash and garbage. I went by on november 18, 2012, sunday to see for my self. I felt like i was driving thur one of those poverty third world country like africa, kenya ect....it is ridiculous that the people who own of these townhouses has aloud this kind of disqusting and filthy, grossly activity to go on. I mean this garbage is so obscene it will make you have a upset stomach. You can tell that it has been there for months and months. And the residents there keep putting more and more garbage. Some one from the city need to investigate as soon as possible. I thought places like this only were in poverty strictin countries not here in amercia."

Old 11-26-2012, 10:28 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,035,712 times
A front-page photo caption in a local newspaper described two women looking at a "neckless" in a jewelry shop.

The caption has been corrected on their website.

Old 11-26-2012, 10:35 PM

286 posts, read 418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
A front-page photo caption in a local newspaper described two women looking at a "neckless" in a jewelry shop.
What was a "neckless" doing in a jewelry store? Where would a "neckless" place a necklace?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.