Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2012, 05:38 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,360,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishMajor1983 View Post
I came across this post while browsing the forums this evening.

I don't know what to say.

"My daugther and husband and kids were going to move in to... But before they could move in, they wanted to sanitize townhouse before moving in, they notice some roaches so they brought those bomber things to kill roaches, so they did this and came back in 2 days to check, and notice some roaches dead and more live roaches. So they clean up again and bomb again. This went on for about 2 in half weeks. So they was wondering where are all these roaches coming from. So they look inside the townhouse attach to the one they were going to move in to and saw, hills and hills, hills,hills or trash and garbage. They went out back hills, hills, hills, hills, hills, hills, hills, hills, hills, of trash and garbage. I went by on november 18, 2012, sunday to see for my self. I felt like i was driving thur one of those poverty third world country like africa, kenya ect....it is ridiculous that the people who own of these townhouses has aloud this kind of disqusting and filthy, grossly activity to go on. I mean this garbage is so obscene it will make you have a upset stomach. You can tell that it has been there for months and months. And the residents there keep putting more and more garbage. Some one from the city need to investigate as soon as possible. I thought places like this only were in poverty strictin countries not here in amercia."
I find this sort of post to be very common here on CD. Run-on sentences, terrible grammar, lousy spelling and punctuation, unfinished thoughts, you name it, are all too common. It's disheartening to know that most of these writers probably graduated from high school.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:11 AM

19,141 posts, read 25,356,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
A front-page photo caption in a local newspaper described two women looking at a "neckless" in a jewelry shop.

Several years ago, The Courier-News printed an article about the fact that Literacy Volunteers of Somerset County was seeking people who could provide English instruction for adults. The title of the article was, "Literarcy Volunteers Sought".

That was one of the most truly ironic mistakes that I ever saw in print.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:16 AM

19,141 posts, read 25,356,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I find this sort of post to be very common here on CD. Run-on sentences, terrible grammar, lousy spelling and punctuation, unfinished thoughts, you name it, are all too common. It's disheartening to know that most of these writers probably graduated from high school.
I wonder if that parent is one of those who keeps her children at home, and "educates" them herself. On more than one occasion, I have seen postings from home-schoolers who are barely literate.

Unfortunately, a lot of the folks who are barely literate are not aware of their shortcomings. So, even though some folks may graduate from high school with less-than-adequate literacy, the impact of their educational gap may be worsened if those people decide to home-school their children.

Last edited by Retriever; 11-27-2012 at 06:32 AM..

Old 11-27-2012, 12:26 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
A front-page photo caption in a local newspaper described two women looking at a "neckless" in a jewelry shop.

The caption has been corrected on their website.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishMajor1983 View Post
What was a "neckless" doing in a jewelry store? Where would a "neckless" place a necklace?

Perhaps they were trying to sell it to former Chicago White Sox player Walt "No-neck" Williams.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:43 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,706,383 times
Quote:
I think people slip into a conversational mode, as if they were speaking in a social setting, and forget that they are actually writing to someone.

BTW, most of these writers probably were graduated from high school.

See what I mean?

Old 11-27-2012, 05:59 PM

12,527 posts, read 17,558,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I think people slip into a conversational mode, as if they were speaking in a social setting, and forget that they are actually writing to someone.

See what I mean?
That is one that very few people no.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

See what I mean?
Not sure what you are getting at here, but here's this.

Grammar Girl : Graduated versus Graduated From :: Quick and Dirty Tips ™

As to slipping into a conversational mode, it is still important to speak/write in complete sentences. At the very least have the ability to convey the entire gist of what you are trying to communicate. When speaking, there is at least another person who can request clarification if the conversation isn't clear. And i know several people who require this when they converse. It's maddening when they assume you know what they are thinking. It takes more effort in writing, but it is infinitely more important. I cannot number the times I have responded to a post here on CD with "Huh?". Being able to express a complete and coherent thought in writing appears to be becoming a lost art.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
That is one that very few people know. (Fixed)
See above post.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:43 AM

88,630 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
I always think that, too. How did these people even get into high school?

Old 11-28-2012, 07:00 AM

12,527 posts, read 17,558,364 times
Quote:
See above post.
It was a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.