Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 10:20 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Pan terra:

Sorry, it said "please dispose," not disposal. Typo. But that, too, would seem possible, if written by an immigrant.
Ah, OK. Yes, possible. So would, "yes please for to say disposal..."

Old 12-01-2012, 10:08 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Maybe it's that English is a difficult language, with lots of rules that aren't always consistent..."i" before "e" except..."

Pronunciation is just as inconsistent: Why is it "mouse" and "house" in the singular, but "mice" and "houses" in the plural? Why not "hise"? We own two hise, one is in the mountains. It bugs me when people say "fishes" instead of "fish" for plural.

I'm plannning on a potato salad, with tomatoes on the side. Or, should I change that to "potatoe" ?

English is my second language, and I agree with your assessment that immigrant kids seem to have a better grasp of English than native born kids. Maybe they concentrate more on the rules? Maybe their native language skills help them learn? Sometimes immigrant kids have knowledge of more than one language, which also helps.
But the problem with that theory is that most of us of a certain age DID learn to read and write English/American English fairly well. It's gone downhill in the past few decades.

Personally, I think it's linked to the fact that so relatively few people read anymore. If they do read, it's short bites of this and that on the Internet, not entire books. People who read are simply more intelligent overall, and when you see the words and sentences regularly, you tend to be able to write them better.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:59 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Personally, I think it's linked to the fact that so relatively few people read anymore. If they do read, it's short bites of this and that on the Internet, not entire books. People who read are simply more intelligent overall, and when you see the words and sentences regularly, you tend to be able to write them better.

When my 10th & 11th grade students would inquire about how to improve their vocabulary for the SAT/ACT, my recommendation was for them to read as many of Charles Dickens' works as possible during the summer.

While most of them did read--to at least some extent--few of them regularly read anything that was capable of vocabulary-building. When they did follow my advice regarding Dickens, it usually led to better verbal scores, as well as a new-found love for good literature.

Old 12-01-2012, 12:57 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I saw a news feature where a freshman college student stated that he had never read a book cover to cover. Guess that's the current situation.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I saw a news feature where a freshman college student stated that he had never read a book cover to cover. Guess that's the current situation.

Unfortunately, that has become more and more commonplace.

In addition to my more diligent students who sought advice on how to improve their verbal test scores, I frequently volunteered my "Dickens" advice to other students who REALLY needed a boost in their test scores. On more than one occasion, I received the following response:
But...I don't like reading books!
(As if not liking to read excuses one from doing so.)

And, to that sad statement, my reply was:
And colleges don't like admitting students who don't like to read books!

But, since some schools are essentially Open Admissions institutions at this point, clearly those non-readers will find an open door somewhere--usually at one of those For Profit diploma mills that advertise intensively on TV and radio.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:30 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,122,918 times
From the CO forum on C-D "yes I've drove threw snow out west".

Old 12-01-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
From the CO forum on C-D "yes I've drove threw snow out west".
Somebody should have asked him how far he threw it.

If pressed for details regarding what it was like to drive in that western snow, that person would likely have told us that, "The whether is verry bad its too feet deep and slippery and that lead me to go lightly on the excelerator and use the breaks alot. If I didnt do that I would prolly loose traction".

While I am not skilled at modern illiteracy, I think that I did a decent job of faking it in the preceding sentence.
Please feel free to correct me if necessary.

Last edited by Retriever; 12-01-2012 at 05:24 PM..

Old 12-01-2012, 05:47 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,122,918 times
I think that was perfect, Retriever!

I am listening to a fire briefing on the news right now. For the 3rd time the guy said EXCEDRA instead of etcetera. Has anyone else heard people say it that way? That gets to me like EXpresso does.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:39 PM

286 posts, read 417,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Somebody should have asked him how far he threw it.

If pressed for details regarding what it was like to drive in that western snow, that person would likely have told us that, "The whether is verry bad its too feet deep and slippery and that lead me to go lightly on the excelerator and use the breaks alot. If I didnt do that I would prolly loose traction".

While I am not skilled at modern illiteracy, I think that I did a decent job of faking it in the preceding sentence.
Please feel free to correct me if necessary.
Haha, I love it!

May I edit? I think I can make it better!

"The whether iz verry bad its too foots deep and sliparry and dat lead me 2 go litelee on da excelerator and use da breaks alot. If I didnt dew dat I wood prolly loose trackshun.

That was actually kind of fun!

Old 12-01-2012, 07:01 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
On another forum, a member is looking for a job and entitled his thread, "Job Recruiter's."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing