Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2012, 07:55 PM

286 posts, read 418,199 times

Advertisements

I am currently taking English Composition II and I find it appalling that some of my classmates do not know proper MLA format. They do not know how to properly cite sources; on the first day of class this semester, somebody even asked my professor to explain what he meant by a parenthetical citation!

My professor even had to explain how to spell "Works Cited".

I know this has nothing to do with grammar or spelling, but this is an English Composition II class. MLA format is something we learn in English Composition I! I'm not sure how they passed Comp I if they do not know MLA.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:19 AM

19,148 posts, read 25,375,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
On another forum, a member is looking for a job and entitled his thread, "Job Recruiter's."

In my last career, I was involved in the hiring process, and one day I opened an envelope containing a cover letter and resume that immediately caught my eye. The cover letter stated that the applicant was responding to our "add" for a paralegal position.

Because the position involved drafting legal documents for submission to the NJ Superior Court, I had to eliminate this person from possible consideration for employment.
If someone doesn't know the difference between one of the basic four functions of math and the abbreviation for the word, "advertisement", I'm sorry, but...I won't hire him/her!

The cover letter and resume immediately went into the trash bin.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:43 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,069,036 times
I just saw these two in the same paragraph in a CD post:

more than out ways the extra production cost.
... of course, they'res no free lunch.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:53 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,234,393 times
What is it with people saying, "Right, that," instead of "that's right." That sounds ridiculous. It's not like we're on walkie talkies saying 'roger that.' UGH

Old 12-02-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
What is it with people saying, "Right, that," instead of "that's right." That sounds ridiculous. It's not like we're on walkie talkies saying 'roger that.' UGH
This is just a guess, but, based on how it sounds, it is possible that this represents UK-style slang.
While those of us in The US might say, "Good for you", on the other side of the pond, they say, "Good on you".

I should mention that I have not personally heard or read, "Right, that".
So...this is just a theory...

Old 12-02-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
In my last career, I was involved in the hiring process, and one day I opened an envelope containing a cover letter and resume that immediately caught my eye. The cover letter stated that the applicant was responding to our "add" for a paralegal position.

Because the position involved drafting legal documents for submission to the NJ Superior Court, I had to eliminate this person from possible consideration for employment.
If someone doesn't know the difference between one of the basic four functions of math and the abbreviation for the word, "advertisement", I'm sorry, but...I won't hire him/her!

The cover letter and resume immediately went into the trash bin.

Retriever, I'm just curious...even if the person had spelled ad correctly, is it professional for somebody to abbreviate that term? Shouldn't the candidate have used the word advertisement as opposed to ad?

This is merely a question to satisfy my curiosity, as I do not see the abbreviation as professional.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishMajor1983 View Post
Retriever, I'm just curious...even if the person had spelled ad correctly, is it professional for somebody to abbreviate that term? Shouldn't the candidate have used the word advertisement as opposed to ad?

This is merely a question to satisfy my curiosity, as I do not see the abbreviation as professional.

While it might not be viewed as professional to use an abbreviation for, "advertisement", I would not have been concerned if a correct abbreviation was used, simply because so many people are casual with their writing nowadays. A cover letter using the word, "ad", would have passed muster with me. Others may differ, of course.

Somewhat casual use of language ("ad") is one thing.
Using the wrong word ("add") is another thing entirely, at least in my book.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
While it might not be viewed as professional to use an abbreviation for, "advertisement", I would not have been concerned if a correct abbreviation was used, simply because so many people are casual with their writing nowadays. A cover letter using the word, "ad", would have passed muster with me. Others may differ, of course.

Somewhat casual use of language ("ad") is one thing.
Using the wrong word ("add") is another thing entirely, at least in my book.

For sure!

I probably wouldn't have seen it as professional. I think that's because I take my writing way too seriously...sometimes too seriously for my own good!

Old 12-02-2012, 05:11 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,199,524 times
Quote:
Right, that. Over and out.

(You do know I agree with you?)

Old 12-02-2012, 08:30 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,069,036 times
Quote:
There is nothing wrong or unusual in casual conversation, to say the first thing that pops into your mind {"Right . . ."} and then, upon reflection, qualify the remark with an explanatory appendix { . . .that which you just said}.

There, I explained it. (Instead of "I explained it there".)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.