Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2012, 06:47 AM

19,196 posts, read 25,462,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It is as though the grocer could careless.
Alot of people could careless about there speech and they're writing.
Some times you can see too or more mistakes in one sentence.
I guess that spelling things write is an inconvience for these people.
Its almost as if noone cares.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:49 AM

37,260 posts, read 41,483,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The first sentence in a recent Star-Ledger feature story reads as follows:

"Ever wonder who hold's the world record for the number of menorahs lit in one place, at one time?"

Does the author of that gem think that a possessive is appropriate in this context?
Or, does she think that, "hold's", is a contraction? (As if, "hold is", would make any sense...)

If this is the quality of newspaper writing nowadays, then things have become quite bleak, IMHO.
Have they fired all the copy editors?

Old 12-10-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retriever View Post
alot of people could careless about there speech and they're writing.
some times you can see too or more mistakes in one sentence.
I guess that spelling things write is an inconvience for these people.
its almost as if noone cares.

:d:d:d:d
Oh, well done!

Old 12-10-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:

It does make you wander, doesnt it?
In fact, I haven't scene any want adds for copy editors for a long time, but may be I need to check some web sights that are job orientated.

I defiantly think that this is a problem, and it makes me flustrated to sea it.
In fact, I think that I will right a letter to the editor, and I will male that letter today.

Last edited by Retriever; 12-10-2012 at 08:53 AM..

Old 12-10-2012, 09:21 AM

26,666 posts, read 28,822,557 times
why the public focus's on these two, are beyond me.................

Okay, I snapped and corrected it in BOLD for them.
Why do they think focus is possessive? Then the sentence requires a plural verb?But they made sure they stuck a comma in there!I know I'm in a bad mood today but that just set me off. I want a one day CD grammar and spelling correction campaign when we would all join in and fix their mistakes. It would feel soooo good.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
why the public focus's on these two, are beyond me.................

Okay, I snapped and corrected it in BOLD for them.
Why do they think focus is possessive? Then the sentence requires a plural verb?But they made sure they stuck a comma in there!I know I'm in a bad mood today but that just set me off. I want a one day CD grammar and spelling correction campaign when we would all join in and fix their mistakes. It would feel soooo good.
Sign me up for that campaign!
Of course, there will be the inevitable chorus chanting, "Grammar Nazis", and, "it's only a blog", in response to any corrections, but that is understandable, simply because those who are language-impaired have to try to rationalize their shortcomings, and to find fault with those who are trying to help them become more proficient in their native language.

This type of defense is similar to statements from guys who insist that, "size doesn't matter", albeit in a very different context.
Either way, the responses are...very revealing.

Old 12-10-2012, 10:59 AM

88,867 posts, read 85,323,488 times
Quote:
I have a man in my writers group who was an editor at the Asbury Park Press for a couple of decades. He was let go when they cut staff as newspaper sales went down. I'm sure it's the same for all papers. No one is editing much anymore, and the reporters seem to be careless.

Old 12-10-2012, 11:29 AM

26,666 posts, read 28,822,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Sign me up for that campaign!
Of course, there will be the inevitable chorus chanting, "Grammar Nazis", and, "it's only a blog", in response to any corrections, but that is understandable, simply because those who are language-impaired have to try to rationalize their shortcomings, and to find fault with those who are trying to help them become more proficient in their native language.

This type of defense is similar to statements from guys who insist that, "size doesn't matter", albeit in a very different context.
Either way, the responses are...very revealing.

That's why it should be a campaign with more than one poor soul going around correcting them. If someone calls me a grammar Nazi it wouldn't bother me so much if I had the support of others.

I saw a beautifully written post on my state forum the other day. It was composed by a high school senior from a town that's known for its great school system and what he was saying was impressive. I was tempted to pm him though and correct his grammar. It's just sad that someone like him, who has so much going for him, and would probably want to know how to write, hasn't even been taught!!!!!!!

Old 12-10-2012, 01:20 PM

Quote:
That's why it should be a campaign with more than one poor soul going around correcting them. If someone calls me a grammar Nazi it wouldn't bother me so much if I had the support of others.
Actually, I already do this on City Data and some other sites that I visit on a regular basis, and my actions have resulted in being labeled as a "Grammar Nazi" on several occasions.

However, that sobriquet does not bother me in the slightest.
I believe that I can still educate people, even though I have retired from the classroom.

Ineamus Ad Discendum, Exeamus Ad Merendum!

Last edited by Retriever; 12-10-2012 at 01:32 PM..

Old 12-10-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:

I saw a beautifully written post on my state forum the other day. It was composed by a high school senior from a town that's known for its great school system and what he was saying was impressive. I was tempted to pm him though and correct his grammar. It's just sad that someone like him, who has so much going for him, and would probably want to know how to write, hasn't even been taught!!!!!!!
Go for it!

Let him know now that he needs to improve, before he gets to college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing