Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2012, 09:46 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,760,617 times

Advertisements

I mean its pronunciation as a plural. We treat "venue" as a standard English word following regular pluralization patterns.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:17 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,278,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I mean its pronunciation as a plural. We treat "venue" as a standard English word following regular pluralization patterns.

I don't see what you're getting at by "its pronuciation as a plural". Would you explain a little further, please?

Old 12-20-2012, 11:19 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,874,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
She might have thought you were using the possessive as an example, because only a Mormon has "mothers-in-law".
I have heard women who have been divorced and remarried refer to their mothers-in-law, as in "I invited both of my mothers-in-law over for dinner." Also, when speaking to a group of women, as in, "Ladies, please be sure to bring your mothers and your mothers-in-law to the style show."

Old 12-20-2012, 11:20 AM

19,163 posts, read 25,415,698 times
In Edison, NJ, The Brownstone Tavern is advertising a party that they will host tonight, and the title of the party is, "The Mayan's Were Wrong".

Old 12-20-2012, 11:37 AM

Here is a true story from work. I was training a new employee on using medical testing equipment in our office. I told her to enter the patient data, including name, date of birth, etc. before beginning the test. Then when the test results print out the data appears on the results page.

When she started bringing the test result pages to me I noticed that she was typing their names in lower case. I went back to her and explained that these results become part of the patient's medical record, so proper capitalization is necessary.

So then she started typing the data in all caps. I went back to her again, and she actually didn't understand what I meant by "proper capitalization."

Old 12-20-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
So then she started typing the data in all caps. I went back to her again, and she actually didn't understand what I meant by "proper capitalization."
If you think that is bad, you should have dealt with some of the high schoolers whom I counseled. Their ability to communicate in written form was...not good.

One of the most memorable faux pas that I had to unravel over the telephone with Educational Testing Service was the case of the girl who failed to leave spaces between her first name, middle name, and last name, and between the house number and the street name when she filled out the registration form for the SAT. Unless all information conforms from one test date to another, ETS cannot link your various test results into one coherent test record. I think that I spent close to an hour on the phone with ETS as a result of that problem.

And, as you might be able to guess, she never thanked me for doing this for her.
When I pointed out these problems on her test admission ticket, and explained that all of this information had to be corrected, the girl's reaction to the problem was..."What's the big deal?"

However, some of the adults on the staff were not much better. My department head, from whom I took orders, used to address her letters of recommendation for students applying to Rutgers University to Rutger's University. My favorites among her written directives included her reminders to be careful to use the correct numerical codes regarding, "ethnicicity", when we registered new students. When referring to students who ran in gangs, she used to say, "He is of that ink", rather than, "He is of that ilk".
And yet, she considered herself to be quite the intellectual...while she read her Barbara Cartland novels.

Last edited by Retriever; 12-20-2012 at 01:12 PM..

Old 12-20-2012, 09:49 PM

32,983 posts, read 36,491,976 times
I once knew a man who was quite fond of using the word aficionado... which he pronounced affectionado.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I once knew a man who was quite fond of using the word aficionado... which he pronounced affectionado.

I knew someone who pronounced it "sufficionado."

Old 12-22-2012, 10:41 AM

Yet another person who is proud to display his/her limited literacy...

Mod cut: copyrighted image.

Tattoo says "Never Forget God Isint Finished with me Yet"

I'm just not sure whether I prefer the..."creative"...spelling, or if I prefer the capitalization of random words, but this masterpiece of a tattoo is surely something worth displaying to the world--if you want everyone to know that you didn't complete third grade.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 12-22-2012 at 12:55 PM..

Old 12-22-2012, 04:53 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,244,713 times
I recently received some paperwork from a legal office that had three misspelled (really two misspelled and one misused) words on the first page. I made an extra copy, signed one and used my red pencil on the other before returning them. Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.

I just remembered my high school teacher (an ENGLISH teacher, in fact) who frequently used the term "take it for granite." No one ever dared correct her. Then there was my co-worker (also an ENGLISH teacher) who had good 'ideals' on a regular basis.

Last edited by GayleTX; 12-22-2012 at 05:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.