Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 05:06 PM

37,219 posts, read 41,421,631 times

Advertisements

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The alternative is "If anyone needs a snack, he or she is welcome to help himself or herself to whatever suits his or her taste when he or she wants to satisfy his or her need to refresh himself or herself."
Why the need to say "he or she" or " his or her" at all? The use of "his" covers both. The "his or her" constuction is unnecessary because the context of the subject of the sentence lets you know the subject could be male or female.

Quote:
What if everyone says they are?
Then you treat them as if they are!

Quote:
Tell everyone at the protest that they will be subject to arrest.
Tell everyone at the protest that anyone there will be subject to arrest.

Quote:
A wise man (or woman) is one who knows when to break the rules.
Trying to transform the plural word their into a singular word for which there is not one in English is not breaking a rule. It's attempting to create a new one and for no good reason.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:57 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,878,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

What if everyone says they are?
Only women with multiple personality disorder!

"Ask everyone if they are pregnant" is incorrect because even if a woman is expecting twins, she is still one person.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:12 AM

26,664 posts, read 28,786,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Only women with multiple personality disorder!

"Ask everyone if they are pregnant" is incorrect because even if a woman is expecting twins, she is still one person.
Last thing I knew men couldn't get pregnant anyway so it's a no brainer to just say "she" in this case.

With the his/her dilemma, that's where I wish someone would invent a new word because
even though we can change the sentence structure to avoid using his/her, it's awkward. You can still use the standard sentence when you use "his", but when you want to use an indefinite pronoun, there isn't one. You're stuck with using "his" and that's what a lot of people have objected to for a long time because it's inaccurate (even though that's what we were always taught in school.)

Old 01-04-2013, 06:50 AM

88,775 posts, read 85,174,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Too young to remember that?

My dear, I have vague recollections of the Truman Adminstration, and I remember watching Ike's inauguration!
I'm not quite as old as you, Retriever (Ike was President when I was born, and there were 48 stars on the flag), but I think of "Hooked on Phonics" as something "modern".

Old 01-04-2013, 07:36 AM

19,171 posts, read 25,432,270 times
One of my mother's pet language peeves, and now one of mine also, has to do with the way that people express themselves when talking about influenza.
Why do so many people insist on saying, "THE Flu"?

If we don't say, "The Bronchitis", or, "The Pneumonia", or, "The Herpes", or, "The Lyme Disease", or, "The Athlete's Foot", etc, why does it seems that almost everyone insists on inserting, "the", before the abbreviation, "flu"?

When I was a child, I thought that my mother was silly for correcting me when I said, "The Flu", but now I see the wisdom in my mother's admonition, "It's just flu, dear, not THE flu".

Old 01-04-2013, 07:53 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,281,815 times
How about "the heebie-jeebies"?

Old 01-04-2013, 08:38 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,878,285 times
Quote:
One of my mother's pet language peeves, and now one of mine also, has to do with the way that people express themselves when talking about influenza.

If we don't say, "The Bronchitis", or, "The Pneumonia", or, "The Herpes", or, "The Lyme Disease", or, "The Athlete's Foot", etc, why does it seems that almost everyone insists on inserting, "the", before the abbreviation, "flu"?

When I was a child, I thought that my mother was silly for correcting me when I said, "The Flu", but now I see the wisdom in my mother's admonition, "It's just flu, dear, not THE flu".

I have heard people say, "I've got the headache" or "I've got the backache." But almost everyone says, "I've got the flu."

I have a couple of friends who moved here from Kentucky. They always say, "The bed" as in, "Time to go to the bed" or, "When the phone rang I was in the bed" or "I was sick in the bed."

This sounds strange to me, but they point out that people say, "the refrigerator" so why not say "the bed?"

Old 01-04-2013, 08:42 AM

37,219 posts, read 41,421,631 times
Quote:

But we do say, "I have a cold" or "I have a yeast infection" or "I have a bladder infection." Some people might indeed say, "I have the bronchitis." I suspect that is more a regional idiom than misuse. It is similar to some areas of the country describing a road as "the 292". Here in Georgia it would just be "292."

When I say it aloud, somehow "I have the flu" sounds better than "I have flu" but "I have influenza" sounds OK. Go figure. Also, when we say we have "the flu" what we mean is we have "the flu virus."

A linguistic discussion of "the flu":

indefinite article - a cold vs flu / the flu - English Language and Usage

The etymology of "influenza":

Flux, Reflux, Influx, Efflux, Afflux, Effluxion at Bill Casselman's Canadian Words of the Day & Words of the World

So saying you have "the flu" could mean you are "under the influence" of the virus.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:58 AM

19,171 posts, read 25,432,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Some people might indeed say, "I have the bronchitis."

Yes, some folks might say that, but that does not make it correct.
After all, I have heard many an elderly person say that his/her, "Arthuritis", is painful, but mass-mispronouncing of, "Arthritis" does not make that mispronunciation correct.

And, by the way...is "Arthuritis" an inflammation of someone's "Arthur"?

Old 01-04-2013, 11:27 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,159,764 times
Quote:
Yes, some folks might say that, but that does not make it correct.
After all, I have heard many an elderly person say that his/her, "Arthuritis", is painful, but mass-mispronouncing of, "Arthritis" does not make that mispronunciation correct.

And, by the way...is "Arthuritis" an inflammation of someone's "Arthur"?

It's akin to Wilford Brimley's "diabeetus" which has become an internet meme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.