Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2010, 12:41 PM

687 posts, read 2,132,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownVentura View Post
I enjoy reading these threads because I usually end up learning something.
... and they always make me smile, or laugh out loud.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:43 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,096,111 times
This is from the fortune cookie message I received in my Chinese delivery yesterday:

"There is no sorrow in the world that a hot both wouldn't help, just a little bit."

Old 07-18-2010, 09:01 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,328,841 times
I hope this story is true:

Freelance round-up: This month in writing :: Freelance UK

Swansea Council officials requested the Welsh translation of a road sign reading: “No entry for heavy goods vehicles. Residential site only.” Naturally, you might assume, they presumed the reply from a translator was what they asked for. Unfortunately, the email response to Swansea council said, in Welsh: "I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated". This then went onto the road sign.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:15 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,212,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
I hope this story is true:

Freelance round-up: This month in writing :: Freelance UK

Swansea Council officials requested the Welsh translation of a road sign reading: “No entry for heavy goods vehicles. Residential site only.” Naturally, you might assume, they presumed the reply from a translator was what they asked for. Unfortunately, the email response to Swansea council said, in Welsh: "I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated". This then went onto the road sign.
Yes, it is true. I've found a photo of the sign.

http://www.techdigest.tv/welsh-roads...mb-400x288.jpg

I just sent the Welsh part of the sign to a machine translator and got:

Bit I am being crookedly the office signs this horses mind. You send any time I '

Last edited by jtur88; 07-20-2010 at 10:25 AM..

Old 07-20-2010, 11:44 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,795,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
This is from the fortune cookie message I received in my Chinese delivery yesterday:

"There is no sorrow in the world that a hot both wouldn't help, just a little bit."
Haha! If you took one, would that make you a hot bother?

Old 07-20-2010, 11:47 AM

11,763 posts, read 14,703,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Does that rhyme with gas-peddle? I never realized that metal, medal, mettle and meddle are all pronounced the same (by most Americans). One of the few 4-way homonyms.
Not exactly true. Although it is true that intervocalic /t/ and /d/ are pronounced the same, the vowel before a voiced consonant is longer that the vowel before a voiceless consonant. Therefore, the first syllable in "medal" is longer than the first syllable in "metal". Virtually every native speaker of English would recognize the difference.

The same is true of such minimal pairs as "matter" and "madder" or "backer" and "bagger".

Old 07-20-2010, 12:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,212,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Not exactly true. Although it is true that intervocalic /t/ and /d/ are pronounced the same, the vowel before a voiced consonant is longer that the vowel before a voiceless consonant. Therefore, the first syllable in "medal" is longer than the first syllable in "metal". Virtually every native speaker of English would recognize the difference.

The same is true of such minimal pairs as "matter" and "madder" or "backer" and "bagger".
People would always spell them differently if they pronounced them differently, but a majority of Americans don't. In everyday speech, nearly all Americans voice the /t/ in 'metal', and lengthen the vowel accordingly.

In other words, if the speaker doesn't even know that they are two different words, he doesn't know that the consonants in 'metal' and 'medal' are not the same, so has no indicator to guide him to the relative vowel length. And therefore, does indeed pronounce both the vowel and the consonant the same in both words, in ignorance of the difference between the two.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:27 AM

11,763 posts, read 14,703,330 times
That's what you would think, but the facts are otherwise. In fact, virtually everyone could tell the difference based solely on pronunciation, with no reference to context.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:48 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,156,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post

The problem is that people DO say all those words the same - but SHOULD not.

Mettle and metal are homonyms, but medal and metal are not. It is sloppy and lazy speech to pronounce a d the same as a t. It frustrates the bejeezus out of me because I depend on people's lips/tongues in order to hear them correctly. (I am late deafened.)

Old 07-22-2010, 10:41 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,311,874 times
Two other words that fit into this category are disgust and discussed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing