Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2013, 03:33 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,233,915 times

Advertisements

Armuchee, GA is pronounced Are-mur-chee.

Armuchee (

Cairo, GA is Kay-ro

Vienna, GA is Vi (long I)-enna.

Albany, GA is All-benny.

Martinez, GA is Martin-ez.

Beaufort is Bu-fert in SC but Bo-fert in NC.

And more:

We have reasons for pronunciations of our place names | The Augusta Chronicle

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 05-15-2013 at 03:44 PM..

Old 05-15-2013, 03:51 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,437,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I bet there is not one anchorman in 100 who can correctly pronounce the town I grew up in.
The reason for the initial post has zero to do with the town you grew up in. What I think significant is you ignore the two words you used that are misspelled. Since you read this thread, surely, you appreciate knowing they were wrong. Oh, well, I'm only teasing....

Old 05-15-2013, 10:17 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
The reason for the initial post has zero to do with the town you grew up in.
The town I grew up in just as important as Grenada, Mississippi, and the correct pronunciation of that was worth hijacking a thread.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:44 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,545,925 times
My solution is simple; I'm never going to any of these places! The different pronunciations are interesting, though!

I'm fascinated that there is a Yreka and Eureka in northern California.

Old 05-16-2013, 03:23 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
This reminds me of the story of the guy in California who got on a plane he thought was going to Oakland but ended up heading to Aukland, New Zealand instead. Years ago, long before current measures to ensure airline security -- true story.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:33 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,299,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
This reminds me of the story of the guy in California who got on a plane he thought was going to Oakland but ended up heading to Aukland, New Zealand instead. Years ago, long before current measures to ensure airline security -- true story.

Having lived in Oakland in the 70's, I'd say he made a great oops/choice! LOL!!!

Old 05-16-2013, 07:20 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
"The vehicle had a busted headlight and flat tire"-this is from CNN. I mentioned a while back that I keep seeing the word "busted" used this way but no one else had. It is on the CNN website today, describing the Boston Marathon bomber's escape from police.

I guess it must be okay to use "busted" now instead of plain old "broken." In school we were taught that it was wrong.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:09 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:

I remember that story! The guy had been on the plane since London--it flew from London to NYC, then to LA, where he thought he was going to get off and get a connecting flight to Oakland, CA. But the flight attendant, a Brit, said "If you are going on to Auckland", stay on the plane, and he thought she said "Oakland", so he stayed on. He was stuck on that plane all the way to New Zealand, and then he had to catch the next flight back to California.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:13 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Having lived in Oakland in the 70's, I'd say he made a great oops/choice! LOL!!!
Ha, I just watched a show on Investigation Discovery channel the other day about the Your Black Muslim Bakery in Oakland, a business that was a front for drug dealing and murder in Oakland. No, doesn't look like a nice place.

We have a little town here in Jersey called Oakland. Leafy neighborhoods, woods, parks. Much nicer.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:17 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,313,763 times
Quote:

A number of years ago, an international flight from Europe to NYC was diverted to Bangor, Maine as a result of some sort of mechanical problem. While the passengers were told (in English) that they would be departing for NYC within a few hours, following emergency repairs, unfortunately, not everyone on that plane was fluent in English.

One of the passengers, who was from Poland, IIRC, somehow assumed that they had arrived at their final destination, and reportedly spent the next week touring the city of Bangor. Having been to Bangor, I can report that it is a decent place, but I can't imagine taking more than a couple of hours to see everything that is worth seeing. Since there are probably no buildings taller than 5 or 6 stories in Bangor, I wonder if he thought that those were NYC's world-famous skyscrapers.

Anyway, once it was discovered that this man was in the wrong place, he was flown to NYC, but he was quoted as saying that he thought Bangor was a great place to visit.
I don't recall if he was interviewed after touring NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing