Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2013, 04:30 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,476,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountybligh View Post
That's why I recommend early screenings and self exams right in the song my hypercritical dear.

He should have seen a doctor certainly. I'm guessing he ignored pain in his testicles for quite awhile.
Yes, you are male.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:46 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,370,555 times
Okaaaay. I didn't meant to start a war about cancer.

Let's get back on topic. Anybody have any thoughts on preventive vs. preventative?

Old 05-17-2013, 04:47 PM

347 posts, read 315,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Yes, you are male.
Never denied that.

But you got your song, didn't you?

Still complaining?

Message in the song go /whoosh right over your head I see. Lot's of people write little parodies my dear. There's a serious message in the song, if you can discern it. Should be plain as day, haha.

Now shoo, I spent the minute on a song you requested and destroyed your argument by showing a parody written by a women about breast self-examination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Okaaaay. I didn't meant to start a war about cancer.

Let's get back on topic. Anybody have any thoughts on preventive vs. preventative?
Neither did I. I thought the advice to have cancer screenings was fairly routine, whether in song form of in a pamphlet at the Docs. Someone is just constipated or something.

Preventative is nearly common usage now according to the grammarist.

Preventative vs. preventive - Grammarist

Last edited by bountybligh; 05-17-2013 at 05:10 PM..

Old 05-17-2013, 07:42 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,884,078 times
Quote:
With all the news about Angelina Jolie's "preventative" mastectomy, it got me thinking about why that particular usage as opposed to just plain "preventive". I always thought preventive was the correct usage.
I've never heard "inventative" or incentative or anything similar. Thoughts, anyone?
"Preventative" is used as a noun and "preventive" as an adjective. Usually "preventative" if used in medical discussions but also for cars and home maintenance.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:45 PM

What about the use of "informative" vs. "informational?"

Old 05-17-2013, 10:44 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,200,461 times
Quote:
With all the news about Angelina Jolie's "preventative" mastectomy, it got me thinking about why that particular usage as opposed to just plain "preventive". I always thought preventive was the correct usage.
I've never heard "inventative" or incentative or anything similar. Thoughts, anyone?
Dictionary.com lists only preventive as a main entry, but lists preventative as an alternate form, but not acceptable in the medical sense.

I suspect that preventative slipped into medical talk from the formation that gives us laxative and purgative and sedative.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Well, I happened to be thinking about boobs today. And posted a little song parody down in FLA forums on that very subject, involving cancer screenings and mammograms. So that was in my head.

And I went with the tata connection and made a little joke. The parody in question.

Lumps (Apologies to Van Halen - Jump)
Hit me Jam Master PDFanHalen
I get up
And nothing gets me down
You've got it tough
I've seen the toughest around
And I don't know
Baby just how you feel
You've got to roll with the punches to get to what's real
Ah can't you see me standing here against the breast exam machine
It's not the worst that we've seen
Ah can't you see what I mean
Ahh might as well self-exam
Check for the Lump
Go ahead check for lumps
Go ahead check for lumps
Hello, hey you, who said that
Maybe how you been
You say you won't know, you won't know until you begin
Ah can't you see me standing here against the breast exam machine
It's not the worst that we've seen
Ah can't you see what I mean
Ahh might as well self-exam
Check for the Lump
Go ahead check for lumps
Go ahead check for lumps
Check for those lumps
Lumps
Go ahead Lumps
Get it in Lumps
Go ahead Lumps
Pink Ribbon in your hair.

Van Halen - Jump (HQ music video) - YouTube

Then I wrote a poem about boobs, inspired by the thought process and sent it to a few friends. If no one is offended I will post it. But, it's PG-13 type stuff. I had a picture of Pam Anderson in her LaBatt's shirt she was discovered in, and Cher in a Bob Mackey Indian getup, but I'm not gonna link them in.

Spoiler
Boobalicious.

Boobalicious
Delicious
Nutricious
Not for you, you sicko
Splendiferous
Gravity defying
Awe inspiring
Eye popping
Song inspiring
Into the zone
Makes ya moan
Pamela Anderson
where have you gone?
Ah well,
there's always another pair
well I declare
It's Cher...
In Bob Mackey getup
stand up and cheer
Have no fear
It's very clear
She's rocking the headgear
and has no stagefright
as she's outta sight
Singing into the night
True delight

Today has been a boobs day so far. That and in FFA down in music for fun. It's all for fun, just to share.

I just take what I read on the forum or the music I listen to and write something quickly.
You know, this post is a little off topic for this thread.

And it really just doesn't seem cute or funny at all. Obviously you have never had a friend or family member die of breast cancer.

Old 05-18-2013, 07:50 AM

Well, I was asked about my thought process when I told a little joke, so I shared a little parody that I wrote while thinking about breast cancer after reading about Angelina Jolie's double mastectomy.

It's interesting that you think that, as we have a history of breast cancer in the family. My mother has survived breast cancer, and has had a radical mastectomy with transflap reconstruction.

Again, it's why I recommend checking for lumps and discuss screenings right in the song. That is of course the message.

Other people think it's great. Thanks for the reps people. Appreciate it.

Get those screenings and do self-exams, whether for breast cancer, or testicular cancer.

Some of you need a humor checkup. Your funny bone seems to be misplaced.

I thank you for your considered view, and discard it. I prefer to see the positive comments instead of the negative.

Have a great day!

Old 05-18-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Well, I was asked about my thought process when I told a little joke, so I shared a little parody that I wrote while thinking about breast cancer after reading about Angelina Jolie's double mastectomy.

It's interesting that you think that, as we have a history of breast cancer in the family. My mother has survived breast cancer, and has had a radical mastectomy with transflap reconstruction.

Again, it's why I recommend checking for lumps and discuss screenings right in the song. That is of course the message.

Other people think it's great. Thanks for the reps people. Appreciate it.

Get those screenings and do self-exams, whether for breast cancer, or testicular cancer.

Some of you need a humor checkup. Your funny bone seems to be misplaced.

I thank you for your considered view, and discard it. I prefer to see the positive comments instead of the negative.

Have a great day!
I still say it is OT for this thread, your "humor" might be more appropriate on the health forum.

Interesting, I have received rep points on my reply to your post. So at least seven members agree with me.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:00 AM

That's all right. Not everyone likes everything.

And since I was asked to explain my thought process here in this thread, I did so. It seemed appropriate as I am writing in a forum dedicated to writing of all things, and was asked to explain my thought process behind my actual writing.

I didn't post it for you specifically of course, and can't anticipate everyones reaction, however extreme and lacking in humor they wish to be.

I do believe that discussing off-topic repeatedly is of course, off-topic. But as you wish to discuss it, I shall.

I note your continuing objection. And discard it as you wish to continue the discussion, as you are still posting.

I note that you are not the moderator of the forum.

I bid you adieu. Toodleloo, and goodbye to you. Fare thee well, censor of old, as I write in manner bold. I ignore your attempts to be cold, as I live life above the fold. So do take your load elsewhere, scold.

Last edited by bountybligh; 05-18-2013 at 09:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing