Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2013, 07:09 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,360,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
I strongly dislike anonymous negative or "helpful" passive-aggressive comments tagged onto reps, and so do the C-D moderators. Doing this can be viewed as abusing the rep system.

If you have something you think is important to say to other posters, use the personal message system and your user name, so they can respond.
I get/give reps all the time without a name. How is this passive aggressive? I correct them and support their opinion. I don't see why using the DM approach is effective. They will only argue with me because they don't know any better. In so many cases I support their position but disagree with the language/text they use to support it. A DM will only inflame them. I don't wish to do that. I only want to educate them so they won't continue to embarrass themselves. It's like telling someone they have parsley in their teeth.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:20 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,309,818 times
Sportscaster commenting on Georgia's football win over Tennessee

... Georgia notched a bullet ...

Here on CD:

... a box of breakfast serial ...

same thread, different poster:

... you know it wont taste grate ...

Old 10-05-2013, 09:02 PM

88,636 posts, read 84,895,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
"Rouge agent", in the thread about the current government shutdown.

Well, I suppose a lot of folks of all persuasions are getting pretty het up and red in the face by now...
LOL, I just read something about a "rouge squirrel". I thought they might be referring to a red squirrel, but the post was joking about the lack of crime in an upstate NY town and said the biggest fear might be running into what I think he meant to say was a rogue squirrel.

Old 10-05-2013, 09:17 PM

26,657 posts, read 28,714,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Sportscaster commenting on Georgia's football win over Tennessee

... Georgia notched a bullet ...

Here on CD:

... a box of breakfast serial ...

same thread, different poster:

... you know it wont taste grate ...
Somehow that grates on my taste buds.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:31 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,309,818 times
Default What a difference commas make

This is from a transcription of will from one of my ancestors, a list of his children:

To son Caide Blalock, 20 shillings, and then to Catey Wallow, David Blalock, John Blalock, Jr., Elizabeth Gibson Blalock, Mary Blalock, Patsy Lucey, "the nine survivors" to share equally.

The transcription conserves the punctuation of the original.

How many children do you count in the list?

Spoiler
It should be Caide Blalock, 20 shillings, and then to Catey Wallace (original hard to read), David Blalock, John Blalock, Jr., Elizabeth, Gibson Blalock, Mary Blalock, Patsey, Lucey. Many researchers think "Patsey Lucey" is one person. Very confusing Elizabeth and Gibson are also different people. .

Old 10-05-2013, 11:11 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,888,293 times
There's a post in a CD forum where I talk about seeing a Bald Eagle in my neighborhood. I wrote my final sentence then I went back and changed the wording. In my final version I wrote "It was a majestic site." In the post I mention the "site" where I saw the eagle and that it had been "sighted" on previous occasions.

Sometimes it just happens. There's no need for some self-appointed "educator" to run around the forums correcting posts by anonymously contacting those who post them.

Old 10-06-2013, 03:46 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,218,671 times
One of the kind I especially like...
"...I thought we saw the mass exitist out if NY and"

Old 10-06-2013, 05:34 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,450,604 times
In a thread about male handbags:

"Why would a man want to carry around a huge SQUARE??"

Maybe he lives in a 2-dimensional world...

Old 10-06-2013, 06:22 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,218,671 times
and another smile producer.
"Which means .. I live in squaller"

Old 10-06-2013, 11:58 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,909,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I get/give reps all the time without a name. How is this passive aggressive? I correct them and support their opinion. I don't see why using the DM approach is effective. They will only argue with me because they don't know any better. In so many cases I support their position but disagree with the language/text they use to support it. A DM will only inflame them. I don't wish to do that. I only want to educate them so they won't continue to embarrass themselves. It's like telling someone they have parsley in their teeth.
Reps are intended to be for positive feedback, not corrections. It's one thing to write something complimentary anonymously on a rep; something else entirely to be critical anonymously, even if you view your message as intended to be helpful. It is not likely to be viewed that way by the recipient.

By using reps like this, you come across as being superior and condescending in your effort to "educate them so they won't continue to embarrass themselves". I'll grant you that this may not be your intention or purpose, but to be told that you've done something viewed as embarrassing by someone who corrects you but doesn't have the grace to identify himself or herself isn't likely to make anyone inclined to take such "correction" very well.

So - if you really feel you absolutely must correct another poster, use a DM, be gracious and polite - and sign it. If you get a nasty response, don't reply and block the other poster if need be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.