Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2013, 05:52 PM

10,051 posts, read 18,093,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
My question to you is:
Why didn't you use commas both before and after the quotation marks surrounding the word, "girls"?

Retriever, I don't know where you found that "rule." It certainly wasn't how I was taught to use commas in the late '60s and '70s.

You use more commas than I've ever seen by anyone else. Clearly you were taught that way at some point!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
OK, I'll bite, since nobody else will.
Why on earth would commas be correct if added to karen's post?
As far as I know, they wouldn't be!

I did make one mistake that I just noticed: I should have used "he or she" instead of "they." Oops!

Old 12-07-2013, 06:07 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,170,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Retriever, I don't know where you found that "rule." It certainly wasn't how I was taught to use commas in the late '60s and '70s.

You use more commas than I've ever seen by anyone else. Clearly you were taught that way at some point!

As far as I know, they wouldn't be!

I did make one mistake that I just noticed: I should have used "he or she" instead of "they." Oops!
I think that is OK per current AP rules in the context you used.. I think. So you are all good.

Old 12-07-2013, 07:45 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,828,386 times
Quote:
Baylor has much the same problem as Oregon and A&M. Speed and can score. but they lack the speed with size and debt like Alabama ;especially on defense.
Try not to spend beyond your means.

Old 12-08-2013, 02:36 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,890,440 times
"...they are all over the buzzard,rap music, baskerball.etc..."

Poor buzzard, and when did folks from the Basque region create their own sport?

Old 12-08-2013, 07:21 AM

26,658 posts, read 28,718,912 times
Quote:
Baylor has much the same problem as Oregon and A&M. Speed and can score. but they lack the speed with size and debt like Alabama ;especially on defense.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try not to spend beyond your means.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Almost as bad as the Place a Comma Wherever You Feel Like it Rule is the Throw in a Semi Colon When You Don't Know What to Do Law.

Pet peeves are getting worse as the usage continues to slide downhill. Commas anywhere, making it hard to read, uppercase letters for no reason at all, and just put a semi colon somewhere to show off. It doesn't matter where, just throw in a semi colon. Then there is always the educated person trying to sound as though they actually paid attention in English class who writes, "It makes no difference to my husband and I." ME-ME-ME-ME-ME. It makes no difference to ME.

If anyone dares to correct them the person gets called a grammar Nazi so they get away with it and the rest of us still have to translate what they write.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:09 AM

19,142 posts, read 25,360,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post

After reflecting on this issue, and after perusing some of my old texts, it appears that you are correct on both counts. My inclusion of those commas was incorrect, and this practice was taught to me by my 10th grade English teacher!

This woman, who had recently arrived at our public high school after a career of many years at a parochial high school, was an imposing figure, and her persona was both authoritative and authoritarian. As a result, even though her grammar rules were somewhat different from what we had been taught previously, I did not question her expertise, and--I dare say--most of my classmates felt the same way.

At the beginning of the school year, she confidently stated that, "By the end of the year, I will have you writing just like my parochial students". Sadly, it appears that she was correct on that score.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
After reflecting on this issue, and after perusing some of my old texts, it appears that you are correct on both counts. My inclusion of those commas was incorrect, and this practice was taught to me by my 10th grade English teacher!

This woman, who had recently arrived at our public high school after a career of many years at a parochial high school, was an imposing figure, and her persona was both authoritative and authoritarian. As a result, even though her grammar rules were somewhat different from what we had been taught previously, I did not question her expertise, and--I dare say--most of my classmates felt the same way.

At the beginning of the school year, she confidently stated that, "By the end of the year, I will have you writing just like my parochial students". Sadly, it appears that she was correct on that score.

Retriever, that is a great story! It was pretty clear that you had learned it from SOMEONE at SOME point.

I know I sometimes spell things the British way because I learned how to spell some words from my mom, who's English. It's hard to unlearn some things!

Old 12-08-2013, 02:09 PM

26,757 posts, read 26,856,992 times
Quote:
At the beginning of the school year, she confidently stated that, "By the end of the year, I will have you writing just like my parochial students".
And did she teach you to put punctuation outside the quotation marks?

Old 12-08-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
And did she teach you to put punctuation outside the quotation marks?
I see that mistake ALL THE TIME. I think there are a lot of teachers who teach it that way (at least at my college!).

But on another subject ...

Quote:
I thought the fact that there was this one person who had these language skills seems a bit incredulous.
I am incredulous that he didn't realize the word he wanted was "incredible."

Old 12-08-2013, 05:08 PM

380 posts, read 834,329 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/philo...d-equally.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.