Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2013, 11:48 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,309,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Ha! - I've seen that quite a bit. If they always use "there" I suppose they have a one in three chance of being correct.

Like I said previously, they just need to memorize the short sentence "They're over there with their friends."

What is so sad is that our experiences chronicled here suggest no one has taught them the difference. Homonyms seem to be a big problem, apparently they're just not important enough to make it into even a little corner of the curriculum.

Old 10-10-2013, 09:15 AM

19,141 posts, read 25,356,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What is so sad is that our experiences chronicled here suggest no one has taught them the difference. Homonyms seem to be a big problem, apparently they're just not important enough to make it into even a little corner of the curriculum.

Even if homonyms are a part of the curriculum, failure to read (or, at least failure to read decent-quality periodicals & literature) on a regular basis will result in lack of reinforcement of what was--supposedly--learned. Unless skills/knowledge are periodically reinforced, the original, "learning", may...evaporate... over the years.
I really think that lack of reading on a regular basis is the source of many of these homonym problems, as well as other language mistakes.

I can recall, back in my early days as a teacher, asking students to tell me the names of the newspapers that their families read on a regular basis. In the blue-collar town where I taught, the vast majority read only the local, "shopper", which essentially consisted of press releases from local organizations, in addition to display ads for local stores. And, the text in that rag (The Atom Tabloid) was constantly littered with misspellings, bad usage, and other language mistakes.

If those students were giving me an honest account of the newspapers coming into their homes, then there really were few, if any, examples of decent writing for anyone in those homes.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:34 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,450,604 times
my son had graduated high school when he used a word unknown to me. Turns out it was pseudo. He said swaydo and during ensuing years, I've heard others say it that way.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:36 AM

37,119 posts, read 41,309,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

I can recall, back in my early days as a teacher, asking students to tell me the names of the newspapers that their families read on a regular basis. In the blue-collar town where I taught, the vast majority read only the local, "shopper", which essentially consisted of press releases from local organizations, in addition to display ads for local stores. And, the text in that rag (The Atom Tabloid) was constantly littered with misspellings, bad usage, and other language mistakes.

If those students were giving me an honest account of the newspapers coming into their homes, then there really were few, if any, examples of decent writing for anyone in those homes.

Interesting.

My home was blue collar. We got both the local paper (one of the larger Georgia cities) and the Atlanta Journal (back before it merged with the Constitution.)

Both of my parents, educated in rural Georgia schools in the 1930s, were literate, with a curriculum that I suspect was just basic three Rs. Neither of them went to college. Neither of them read heavily for recreation, but I had my nose in a book from the time I discovered reading. We had the World Book Encyclopedia, and if I did not have a book I would read that - just pick a volume and read at random.

I am afraid that a big part of the problem is the feeling that memorization is something terrible. We expect that a person who plays a sport or a musical instrument will practice. Practice puts those skills into memory. But somehow it should not be necessary to practice math facts or memorize homonyms.

One of my mother's teachers was Miss Regina Pinkston:

Jan's Family - Past and Present: June 2011

"[Miss Regina Pinkston]was my favorite teacher in high school. I had her for Geometry, Trig, and Senior English. If I had known how great she was, I would have taken Latin from her. I was told that she was certified to teach every course taught at our high school except shop.

I believe she had Macbeth memorized. I can almost hear her recite the part of the witches talking around the cauldron "double, double toil and trouble"*. I never had a teacher or professor who entranced me from the moment she began class until it concluded. My worst nightmare was being required to memorize a poem and reciting it in her class. My knees were literally knocking.

Year after year Miss Pinkston was chosen as the Teacher of the Year by the Valedictorian. After she retired from teaching, she wrote a comprehensive history of Meriwether County. I was told her father lived to 101 years old and walked to church every Sunday of his life. Perhaps he lived next door to his church. She was an amazing lady."

My mother, too, recalled her reciting from Macbeth, "Will all the water in the ocean wash this blood from my hands?"

And this poem

Skipper Ireson

"Tarred and feathered and carried in a cart
By the women of Marblehead!"

Miss Regina lived to be 89.

* I believe that should be "bubble, bubble", though!

Old 10-10-2013, 03:11 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,888,293 times
Last night I was watching an episode of a TV show I like (the season is finally available to stream w/o commercials). Well, one of the characters, who is extremely intelligent in the show, talks about using a "parameterized...algorithm" except she pronounces it "parameeterized" - huh? Did I really just hear that?

That one blooper just tossed the character to the back of the class.

Old 10-10-2013, 03:28 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,450,604 times
"...national wide privatization, school vouchers and chatters schools.."

Old 10-10-2013, 04:53 PM

19,141 posts, read 25,356,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Well, that person appears to have nailed the problem perfectly!
Those, "chatters schools", where the kids apparently are allowed to talk incessantly, are clearly not fulfilling their educational function.

And, then we have that problem of, "national wide", privatization...

As I observed many years ago, one of the richest ironies is that so many of those who hold themselves up as experts on the topic of education seem to have not had a whole lot of education.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:14 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,540,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Hmm.

I sure wish I went to Chatters School in the 6th grade. Every quarter the teacher had to write , "Annoys others", on my report card. I was an A and A+ student in everything but reading, so I finished my work quickly. Then I would talk to anyone who was sitting near me... didn't matter who it was. I just needed to chat with someone.

Ah yes, Chatters School would have been a wonderful place for me.

Old 10-12-2013, 02:41 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,218,671 times
"Most will raise the cackles on your back. "

Old 10-12-2013, 06:11 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,706,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
Hmm.

I sure wish I went to Chatters School in the 6th grade. Every quarter the teacher had to write , "Annoys others", on my report card. I was an A and A+ student in everything but reading, so I finished my work quickly. Then I would talk to anyone who was sitting near me... didn't matter who it was. I just needed to chat with someone.

Ah yes, Chatters School would have been a wonderful place for me.
It doesn't sound like you needed schooling in chattering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing