Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2013, 10:08 PM

37,125 posts, read 41,324,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OK.

That's going to take some time to figure out.

Think about what home sellers are commonly advised to do to prep the house for sale, possibly process it with auto correct, then close your eyes and say it aloud.

It took me a while, too.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:16 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,224,215 times
OMG....declutter??? LOL

"untrained idiots wondering around pounding on folks doors to sign em up"
If they're untrained they probably are wondering what the facts are.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:09 PM

19,144 posts, read 25,364,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
OMG....declutter??? LOL

I have to say that I would never have guessed that, "deco utter", was supposed to be, "declutter". More than likely, this is one of those instances of an Apple I-Phone deciding what a word (or words) should be, and the phone's owner giving up on attempting to override the infernal device.

"untrained idiots wondering around pounding on folks doors to sign em up"
If they're untrained they probably are wondering what the facts are.

More and more over the past couple of years, I have observed that many people do not seem to know the difference between, "wander", and, "wonder".
As the thread's title says, I can't take it anymore!

Old 10-20-2013, 04:42 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
More and more over the past couple of years, I have observed that many people do not seem to know the difference between, "wander", and, "wonder".
As the thread's title says, I can't take it anymore!

I didn't guess "declutter", either.

Another one that seems to give people trouble is "weary" used in lieu of "wary". I also wondered if they are crossing "wary" and "leery" in some short-circuit of the mind.

But I've seen too many instances of something like, "I am weary of moving to that neighborhood because the area looks rundown."

A long-time member of my church died the other day. I got an email asked if I would make a dish for the re-passed. I guess since this woman has "passed", when you eat after her funeral, she will be "re-passed"?

Old 10-20-2013, 04:52 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,981,744 times
Should we just give up and accept that 's is now what makes a plural? It seems like I've been seeing it everywhere lately.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Another one that seems to give people trouble is "weary" used in lieu of "wary". I also wondered if they are crossing "wary" and "leery" in some short-circuit of the mind.

But I've seen too many instances of something like, "I am weary of moving to that neighborhood because the area looks rundown."
More than likely, those, "weary", people are the same ones who are, "flustrated", about something.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
Should we just give up and accept that 's is now what makes a plural? It seems like I've been seeing it everywhere lately.
Yes, I have been seeing that type of gaffe with increasing frequency over the past ten years or so.
However, I will never give up.

Just like Lynne Truss (author of Eats, Shoots and Leaves), I carry a black, "Sharpie", and I use it with some frequency on signs displaying that particular language error, as well as some others. I think that I have used more Sharpie ink on correcting misspellings of, "inconvenience", than on any other mistake.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:02 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,928,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Yes, I have been seeing that type of gaffe with increasing frequency over the past ten years or so.
However, I will never give up.

Just like Lynne Truss (author of Eats, Shoots and Leaves), I carry a black, "Sharpie", and I use it with some frequency on signs displaying that particular language error, as well as some others. I think that I have used more Sharpie ink on correcting misspellings of, "inconvenience", than on any other mistake.

Hahahaha, I carry a Sharpie, too.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:49 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,540,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
That's actually a word, "so be it" is a clause. They both have different meanings. The clause should be used in the above context.
Thanks, I did not know this...now I do.

And the phrase I quoted should have been "so be it". See, I KNEW that much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Never saw that word either. It made me want raspberry or maybe lemon sorbet.
That's what I was seeing at first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
More about sobeit: Daily Writing Tips
Thanks. I looked around on your link and could not find sobeit, so used "the google" and found this:

Sobeit and So Be It

Now I do understand.

This is one thing I love about this thread... we actually do learn something new all the time.

Old 10-21-2013, 03:15 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,224,215 times
I doubt this guy knows he said the opposite of what he meant.
"we sold all our gold to them for a good chump change"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.