Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 11:01 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
So I suppose it's also correct to say, "The couple were going to Brazil" vs "The couple was going to Brazil." Why does that sound so odd? And you're right; it's very misused.
Going on what I learned in school eons ago, it can be singular or plural, depending upon the way you think of the word "couple."

If it feels like two individuals then the couple are/were. If it feels like a unit then the couple is/was. That's what they taught us in school anyway. So, the bottom line is not to worry about it--pretty much interchangeable.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:53 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
I've argued about this ^ with my best college buddy since the 1970s! She teaches advanced placement English at a high school, yet she continues to say, "I feel badly." Drives me nuts.

Another one that makes me cringe is the misuse of the word, "media." Few people, including members of the media, use it correctly. "Media" is a plural word! If someone says, "The media was hounding Charlie Sheen," that is incorrect. It should be, "The media are hounding Charlie Sheen." The press is a medium. TV is a medium. Radio is a medium. One or more of these should be referred to as media and should be accompanied by a plural verb. Dagnabbit! ()

You mean the media *were* hounding... just a matter of tense, really and not much material difference. The media were and still are hounding him...

Old 03-24-2011, 11:18 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
I didn't know where else to put this, so I'll share it with this thread. I was reading the Wikipedia article on etiquette in Latin America, and I saw this hilarious notation to a bullet point after the advisory not to discuss politics:

"Please note Argentina and Uruguay are different countries.[citation needed]"

Old 03-26-2011, 04:57 PM

And then there's the incorrect use of quotation marks for emphasis, such as seen on some auto repair shops...

"Inspection" Station

and

We do "Oil Change".
(What, exactly are they calling an "oil change"?)

Old 03-26-2011, 06:14 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
I read a post the other day where someone was describing a decor and used the term "in layed" tile.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:15 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
And then there's the incorrect use of quotation marks for emphasis, such as seen on some auto repair shops...

"Inspection" Station

and

We do "Oil Change".
(What, exactly are they calling an "oil change"?)
I know! Someone on one of these threads posted something similar about the use of quotation marks in "fresh" produce, which would make you not want to buy any! "Fresh" lettuce. No, thanks.

Old 03-26-2011, 06:31 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,769,802 times
Default I can't take it anymore

Go to any forum index here on CD and at least one or quite possibly several of the thread titles will have misspellings and/or bad grammar.
If I could, I'd go correct all of them. Why don't we have a Spelling Police Moderator?

Old 03-26-2011, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know! Someone on one of these threads posted something similar about the use of quotation marks in "fresh" produce, which would make you not want to buy any! "Fresh" lettuce. No, thanks.
No kidding!

Old 03-26-2011, 09:33 PM

4,365 posts, read 4,565,836 times
How in the world did "my bad" ever become a commonly-heard replacement for "I'm sorry, I was wrong"? It's not even a complete sentence; there's no verb. Talk about the dumbing down of America!

Old 03-26-2011, 10:41 PM

3,720 posts, read 10,001,926 times
I love this thread! I couldn't stop until I got all the way through it, though I have other work to do.

My pet peeves (some already mentioned here):
Give it to myself...
Him and I...oh, my husband says this and it drives me nuts, but I really want to stay married so I bite my tongue.
Real big...Really? Even the news commentators say this now. Shouldn't they know better?
Rod iron...OK, I can understand this one, but really, can you do a search and find wrought?
You did good...'nough said
This door is to be remain open during business hours...OK, we agreed not to pick on Asian restaurants, but it's posted in every one I went to in Texas.

I was so proud last year when my 4-year-old asked "Mommy, why are you driving so slowly?" and later said "I did that really well".

Years ago I read the book On Language by William Safire. Everyone here would love it! I still remember his comments about the politician that said "We have more people per capita here than any other major city". He then imagined many two-bodied, one-headed people walking around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing