Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2011, 11:20 PM

Location: Back in Melbourne.....home of road rage and aggression
402 posts, read 1,161,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puru View Post
The stock room where I work has a large amount of company paperwork posted above the desk so that every employee can read it. Unfortunately, most of the company paperwork we're all meant to read is riddled with careless spelling and grammar mistakes. My coworkers and myself have taken to highlighting all the errors we spot.
As an example, we were all meant to read and sign an update of the Employee Handbook. Whoever wrote it managed to spell "eligible" correctly the first time, yet in the same sentence they spelled it "elliginle".

Such errors are even worse when proudly displayed on very public signs. The sad part is some of these people probably asked someone to proofread or spell check and the person they asked probably didn't know any better!
We have a site specific newsletter that comes out quarterly, and gets sent out via email to everyone in our division, which is global. It is organised, edited, and distributed by the secretary of our GM. She is such a snot and never ever misses a moment to point out mistakes the rest of us make in front of other people, that she is the divisional secretary and we are but mere admin assistants, and she treats us like we're only working there because of affirmative action. As if she is really special because she's a secretary. Puh-leeze. Nobody can stand her.

So....every quarter when the newsletter comes out, I print it, then go through it making corrections in red felt tip marker, which is what my teachers always used in school before everything went PC, and red ink was banned for being too aggressive, angry and esteem shattering...).

For someone so professional, and so supposedly perfect, she sure is $hithouse when it comes to editing for spelling, punctuation, and general grammar. (It's just desktop publishing, it shouldn't be any effort, or hard). I give it a grade and if necessary a constructive criticism, like 'You can do better than this! You're not working to your full potential.' Or if there are fewer mistakes, then she gets a grade with a foil star or a smiley face. Then send it back to her via internal mail.

I understand that this absolutely enrages her. Which pleases me.

I do NOT sign it or indicate that it is me who is grading her work--because I'm not stupid, I know she'd make my life a living hell, and my job isn't a bed of roses anyway! I also realise this is childish and petty, but it's fun giving her a small taste of her own medicine, and besides--it's embarassing! It makes it look like our entire site must be a bunch of bone heads. Were she not such a sanctimonious b*tch, I'd let it slide.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I have a Sharpie in my purse and admit to doctoring a few signs. Don't tell on me.
Oh I won't tell on you.....I understand your need to do this!

Old 03-26-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't text. Does that make me a bad person?
No, you're not a bad person for not texting.

I text, but am often asked not to, because I can not bring myself to use the texting abbreviations, thus requiring the receiving party to have to do a full on download to get the message. They ask me to call them instead!

Fine by me.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie09 View Post
Could someone please tell me the best climate in which to grow a Lie-berry?
REALLY!!!
Maybe they created some kind of confusion when cities created BRANCHES for their LIBRARIES.

gracie
Oh, to grow lie-berries you have pacifically live near the Specific Ocean.

I had a boss once, who could not say specific to save her soul.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:58 AM

16,907 posts, read 16,152,039 times
So, are people here striving to be textbook perfect, without character or artistic creativity?
Not me - that would suck.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:08 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,234,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerlillydownunder View Post
Oh, to grow lie-berries you have pacifically live near the Specific Ocean.

I had a boss once, who could not say specific to save her soul.
I think they have lie-berry festibals, too.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
And then after eating the lie-berries, they all would use nakins.

Today, my co-worker, who is very Save The ________, said that she rescued a dog over the weekend who was just totally emancipated.

It took me about 20 minutes to work out that she meant emaciated. As she is by all other accounts a real sweetheart I didn't correct her.

I managed to keep my thoughts to myself, while chewing my fingernails almost to the quick.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:43 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,567,591 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...nswered-8.html

It's a scary thought that this woman has a college degree.

Check that, accepted by Duquesne, even worse.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:14 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,634,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainer61 View Post
Yeah, I heard something about that. Don't they happen around St. Valentime's Day?

Old 03-30-2011, 04:13 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,567,591 times
Stopped at my local watering hole today only to see a sign on the door:

Closed for 2 days, sorry for any inconviece.

You can't make that stuff up.

Almost forgot, the bar is across the street from a gas station that has a job opening for an attendEnt.
Might be the same owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.