Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2014, 06:33 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,196,966 times

Advertisements

Several years ago while bored, I browsed a number of school websites. From official statements to introductory essays by the educators, the sheer number of misspellings, grammatical errors and horribly-constructed sentences was appalling.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:42 AM

Ha!
I am browsing craigslist for a used car. Craigslist is a cesspool of bad writing but this one really takes the cake.

Quote:
Trans and engine run drive good the problem is front and beck glass is Brock the beck bumper is repair and tail light little Brock

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/4336665890.html

Old 02-22-2014, 09:52 AM

37,250 posts, read 41,476,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Ha!
I am browsing craigslist for a used car. Craigslist is a cesspool of bad writing but this one really takes the cake.

2000 Honda civic ex
That sounds like the author perhaps speaks English as a second language.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That sounds like the author perhaps speaks English as a second language.
It certainly does; still hysterically bad writing though!

Old 02-23-2014, 12:11 AM

88,863 posts, read 85,308,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Several years ago while bored, I browsed a number of school websites. From official statements to introductory essays by the educators, the sheer number of misspellings, grammatical errors and horribly-constructed sentences was appalling.
When my daughter was in school I would often send corrections in via email to our school website. The number of obvious errors was ridiculous.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:01 AM

19,193 posts, read 25,459,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When my daughter was in school I would often send corrections in via email to our school website. The number of obvious errors was ridiculous.
As a high school counselor, I received a fairly large amount of correspondence from colleges, both of a routine nature, and in regard to specific students. The number of grammatical errors in those letters was disturbingly high, and on a few occasions I actually "red-penned" the routine letters and mailed them back in envelopes w/o a return address. I mailed the letters back anonymously because I didn't want an offended Director of Admissions to discriminate against students from the school where The Grammar Nazi Counselor worked.

I think that the most ridiculous error that I found was in regard to the On-Site Admissions program that we had arranged with a few colleges. That program allowed students to be interviewed, have their transcripts reviewed, and receive an admissions decision in our offices on a specific day each year. However, one college's admissions office persisted in referring to the program as the On Sight Admissions program.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:12 AM

88,863 posts, read 85,308,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Someone left this question as a rep comment:

Did you ever confront and question in person?

Yes. At the PTA meeting, I brought it up a couple of times. I was met with blank and/or confused stares. I remember one other person spoke up and agreed with me, but most people seemed to treat it as some sort of silly issue that really didn't matter, and they just went on with whatever they were talking about.

It's funny, because I live in and I belong to a church in a different area of the state now, and the woman who does our church website holds a position as the website person for the school system of a small neighboring town. There are always spelling errors on the church website, so I imagine there must be errors on that school system's website, too. The church thing is voluntary, but the school website is her JOB.

Shouldn't a basic command of spelling be some sort of requirement for such a position?

Old 02-23-2014, 07:58 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,595,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
As a high school counselor, I received a fairly large amount of correspondence from colleges, both of a routine nature, and in regard to specific students. The number of grammatical errors in those letters was disturbingly high, and on a few occasions I actually "red-penned" the routine letters and mailed them back in envelopes w/o a return address. I mailed the letters back anonymously because I didn't want an offended Director of Admissions to discriminate against students from the school where The Grammar Nazi Counselor worked.

I think that the most ridiculous error that I found was in regard to the On-Site Admissions program that we had arranged with a few colleges. That program allowed students to be interviewed, have their transcripts reviewed, and receive an admissions decision in our offices on a specific day each year. However, one college's admissions office persisted in referring to the program as the On Sight Admissions program.

Years ago when I placed an ad looking for help I received a ton of resumes. The amount of misspellings and poor grammar was incredible. One came from a fellow college alumni and like you, I "red-penned" it and sent it back. Never heard from the guy again.

It's sad, but that's the way things are these days.

But On Sight Admissions, that takes the cake.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:18 AM

19,193 posts, read 25,459,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Years ago when I placed an ad looking for help I received a ton of resumes. The amount of misspellings and poor grammar was incredible.

In my second career, as a Paralegal, I had much of the responsibility for hiring people for new Paralegal positions at my agency, and I was both shocked and appalled to see how many cover letters stated that the applicant was responding to our "add". If somebody doesn't know the difference between the abbreviation for the word "advertisement" and the word signifying one of the four basic math functions, then I didn't want him/her drafting legal documents. These applicants never even got to the interview stage of the hiring process.

For applicants who did get to the interview stage of the process, the next step after an interview was a test of their writing ability. At this point, I had to eliminate people who did not know the difference between "libel" and "liable", the difference between "sever" and "severe", the difference between "your" and "you're", and--of course--those who thought that "a lot" had somehow morphed into one non-word, namely "alot".

Old 02-23-2014, 04:07 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,914,536 times
Quote:

It's funny, because I live in and I belong to a church in a different area of the state now, and the woman who does our church website holds a position as the website person for the school system of a small neighboring town.

You live in a church?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing