Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2014, 11:31 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,279,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post

Exactly!
Despite the protests of...you know what I meant...the reality of the situation is that almost all of us do judge people on the quality of their communication. When you display poor communication skills in either written or spoken form, the image that is projected is one of a person with...lesser abilities...and that can be costly in the long run, in terms of lost opportunities.

Many people are of the opinion that, in casual situations--such as online forums--it is acceptable to be...less than perfect in their communication. Yes, it is acceptable, but some people find it difficult to switch back and forth from their good business communication persona to their casual communication persona, and for those people it is probably better to try to keep things as correct as possible at all times.

...or, in other words, practice makes perfect.

YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have posted those exact sentiments many times.

Old 04-26-2014, 11:43 AM

4,804 posts, read 2,821,808 times
Default the practice effect

Quote:

Exactly!

...or, in other words, practice makes perfect.

The only change I would make: Good practice makes perfect (or at least approaches perfection eventually, if you keep it up long enough. Course, it might take until the heat death of the universe, but still, that's only an outer boundary.)

And I agree - if Stephen Hawking can manage to crank out passable English using eyelid twitches, sensory devices hooked to a CPU and a vocoder, there's no excuse for the rest of us.

Old 04-26-2014, 12:07 PM

19,196 posts, read 25,462,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
The only change I would make: Good practice makes perfect
That is an excellent point.
Continuing to write posts in "bad" English will only serve to reinforce the mistakes.
That is where threads like this come in handy!

Despite the cries of "Grammar Nazi" and other choice words thrown at those of us who attempt to make corrections, if a person can be helped to correct his/her mistakes, that person will almost surely be more readily-employable in the future.

Surely there is nothing negative about helping somebody to be more readily-employable!

Old 04-26-2014, 02:38 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,499,865 times
Most of my writing ability, correct grammar and other writing rules were learned by me from those on forums kind enough to correct my mistakes.
Unlike some people, I learned from my embarrassing mistakes. Now, if I have any doubt, I look stuff up before posting.

I considered myself horrible at writing when I was in skool!

Old 04-26-2014, 04:16 PM

19,196 posts, read 25,462,474 times
The next time that somebody asks you for an example of a run-on sentence, you can use this one from the NJ Forum:

I dont drive someone is dropping me off the night before im staying over then going to the convention the convention says there is a park and ride less than a mile away with transit to nyc i know nothing about this nor do they they just know its there they have no details.

I guess we can assume that the convention is not a gathering of English teachers...

Old 04-26-2014, 04:19 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,279,706 times
Quote:
The only change I would make: Good practice makes perfect (or at least approaches perfection eventually, if you keep it up long enough. Course, it might take until the heat death of the universe, but still, that's only an outer boundary.)

And I agree - if Stephen Hawking can manage to crank out passable English using eyelid twitches, sensory devices hooked to a CPU and a vocoder, there's no excuse for the rest of us.

Anyone who has actually trained for anything knows this. You do as you train. It you train poorly, you do poorly.

A friend who started karate had terrible form when show showed me and others what she had learned. I recognized some of it and suggested that when she practices her moves that she remain in strict from. She said she would when it mattered. At her first competition she lost without scoring at all, then she quit karate, saying that being correct shouldn't matter.

Quote:
Continuing to write posts in "bad" English will only serve to reinforce the mistakes.

Despite the cries of "Grammar Nazi" and other choice words thrown at those of us who attempt to make corrections, if a person can be helped to correct his/her mistakes, that person will almost surely be more readily-employable in the future.

Surely there is nothing negative about helping somebody to be more readily-employable!

Another of my common rants in response to Grammar Nazi comments goes something like "If people put as much time in learning and writing properly as they do defending their right to be wrong, we'd all be better off".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Most of my writing ability, correct grammar and other writing rules were learned by me from those on forums kind enough to correct my mistakes.
Unlike some people, I learned from my embarrassing mistakes. Now, if I have any doubt, I look stuff up before posting.

I considered myself horrible at writing when I was in skool!
Good for you. Others choose to remain ignorant.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:03 PM

4,804 posts, read 2,821,808 times
Default Bow to your partner, bow to your corner

Quote:

Yes, I especially like the charge of Grammar NAZI. As if bad spelling, word choice, non sequiturs, poor syntax and on and on were capital crimes. Now if I were king for a day, there might be reason to fear.

But I don't think we'll ever see the day - if we ever did - when everyone went about speaking and writing in perfectly balanced quatrains. It may simply be an inspirational kind of goal - something like the pursuit of happiness ...

Old 04-26-2014, 06:17 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,479,052 times
Quote:
Yes, I especially like the charge of Grammar NAZI. As if bad spelling, word choice, non sequiturs, poor syntax and on and on were capital crimes. Now if I were king for a day, there might be reason to fear.

But I don't think we'll ever see the day - if we ever did - when everyone went about speaking and writing in perfectly balanced quatrains. It may simply be an inspirational kind of goal - something like the pursuit of happiness ...
I don't think any of us who bemoan grammatical errors expect everyone (everyone? lol) to speak and write anything perfectly balanced. At least it definitely isn't anything I want. I make my share of mistakes and that's how it is. I also learn from mistakes. What would be really weird is if we all spoke in quatrains. hehehe When someone comes across a jewel of a mistake, it's so much fun. Reading that someone spelled hire as higher was spectacular.

Old 04-26-2014, 10:01 PM

33,017 posts, read 36,582,703 times
From the Self-Sufficiency and Preparedness forum:

... coupled with milk downs of the many nuke plants in its path

Does this event involve Wisconsin?

Old 04-27-2014, 05:55 AM

23,177 posts, read 26,285,270 times
Quote:
The next time that somebody asks you for an example of a run-on sentence, you can use this one from the NJ Forum:

I dont drive someone is dropping me off the night before im staying over then going to the convention the convention says there is a park and ride less than a mile away with transit to nyc i know nothing about this nor do they they just know its there they have no details.

I guess we can assume that the convention is not a gathering of English teachers...
Can we say that is a menopausal or pregnant post?
Going that long without a period would suggest one or the other
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing