Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 07:35 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,477,738 times

Advertisements

My mother was a stickler for proper pronunciation and diction, but she was mistaken regarding certain words which have different pronunciations, although spelled the same. No matter how many times I told her otherwise, she closed her mind to what I said. The main one is wound. In one meaning it described an injury, while in another it is about a clock being wound. In her mind the latter use is correct for both and nothing could change her mind.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:45 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,678,459 times
From the POC forum:

We had a career fair at my college and one of the recruiters decided to leave the auditorium and just wonder around campus.

This poster used the word 'wonder' again in the same post, so I don't believe it's a typo.

(must have been a wonderful campus!)

Old 04-28-2014, 07:55 AM

4,804 posts, read 2,821,318 times
Default Operant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Many years ago, I had a secretary (whose services I shared with 6 other counselors) who must have gotten her job as a result of political connections, rather than secretarial skills. Because this was in the age before computers, we would write our letters of recommendation and other types of correspondence in cursive script, and give them to her for typing. She was never able to produce a "mailable" letter in less than two attempts, but--on occasion--it was necessary for her to re-do letters as many as 4 or 5 times before they could be mailed.

I think that her inability to remember this recurring problem bothered me more than the actual misspelling, and this exact scenario played out more times than I care to remember.

If it was the Psychology Dept., then she was probably a Skinnerian, and she was trying to condition you. (I think it works better with the box.)

Old 04-28-2014, 07:58 AM

37,259 posts, read 41,476,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Many years ago, I had a secretary (whose services I shared with 6 other counselors) who must have gotten her job as a result of political connections, rather than secretarial skills. Because this was in the age before computers, we would write our letters of recommendation and other types of correspondence in cursive script, and give them to her for typing. She was never able to produce a "mailable" letter in less than two attempts, but--on occasion--it was necessary for her to re-do letters as many as 4 or 5 times before they could be mailed.

Typographical errors are understandable, but this woman used...creative...spelling on many occasions, and some of those misspellings would recur time and time again. One word which she never seemed to learn how to spell was "prowess", and it seemed that each time I wrote that word, it would come back to me in typed form as "poweress". Each time, I would gently and diplomatically point out this error to her, and each time she would question my correction with the same words, namely...Are you sure?

My response was always the same, and I would say, "Yes, Ann, I am sure". She would then consistently respond by saying, "I think that I'm right", and each time I would then have to open the dictionary and show her that she was wrong.

I think that her inability to remember this recurring problem bothered me more than the actual misspelling, and this exact scenario played out more times than I care to remember.

I have a few words that I almost always type wrong for some reason. However, I know which ones they are and I double check them. For example, I leave the o out of appropriate. Though I got it right this time!

Old 04-28-2014, 10:40 AM

19,193 posts, read 25,459,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I have a few words that I almost always type wrong for some reason. However, I know which ones they are and I double check them. For example, I leave the o out of appropriate. Though I got it right this time!

Same here!
For reasons that I have never been able to figure out, I always seem to type "alcohol" as "alchohol", and then I have to go back and correct it. In my second career, as a Paralegal for my state's child protection agency, I had to type that word VERY often when I wrote court complaints, so it was especially frustrating when I would repeat that typo on an almost daily basis.

However, my secretary, Ann, was not guilty of a typo with her consistent conversion of "prowess" to "poweress". Each time this happened, she was adamant that she was correct about that non-word.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:42 AM

19,193 posts, read 25,459,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
If it was the Psychology Dept., then she was probably a Skinnerian, and she was trying to condition you. (I think it works better with the box.)
No...trust me...that woman couldn't even condition her hair properly.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:47 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,278,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I invert letters in words, such a jsut, becuase, and wiht. It's a function of my weird typing method that I can't seem to break. The faster I type the more frequently I invert.

Here's another peeve; ending statements with question marks, and questions with periods. From a travel forum I often frequent:

"I'm going to the beach next week. I want to go to dinner? Can someone give me a suggestion."

Who caught my intentional redundancy?

Old 04-28-2014, 01:18 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,037,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
"How to cut a watermelon with lightening speed".

I don't see how lightening has anything to do with speed, unless you're making a sports car with a fiberglass body to improve the power:weight ratio, or something like that.
No, this was a technique for cutting watermelons so quickly that they become less dark.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:21 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,037,946 times
From the Religion/Spirituality forum:

"A good first step would be to say what is meant, rather than needing around the push."

I wonder if this was a voice-recognition error?

Old 04-28-2014, 02:03 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,477,738 times
"However, women have made optimistical progress towards equality."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing