Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 07:04 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,842,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
AAAAAHHHHHH, saw that on the overhead sign (for the aisle) at my Shop-Rite today.
I'll have to look for that at mine. Maybe the head office is texting-in the verbage.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:33 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,205,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Maybe we should write to the grocery stores and complain. I have thought about doing that.
Good luck. About 13 years ago we lived in another town in which a Safeway grocery store was being remodeled. In their "grand re-opening" week I noticed on one of their overhead aisle signs the word "Incontinents" over a pharmacy aisle.

I asked for the manager and approached it as I'm sure after so much time and effort and money to get this place looking good that I was sure he'd want to get everything just so and pointed that out.

He looked at me like I had three heads.

We've since moved but visit on occasion. As of two years ago it still proudly proclaims "Incontinents". As opposed to "Intown", I guess.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:58 AM

88,749 posts, read 85,121,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Good luck. About 13 years ago we lived in another town in which a Safeway grocery store was being remodeled. In their "grand re-opening" week I noticed on one of their overhead aisle signs the word "Incontinents" over a pharmacy aisle.

I asked for the manager and approached it as I'm sure after so much time and effort and money to get this place looking good that I was sure he'd want to get everything just so and pointed that out.

We've since moved but visit on occasion. As of two years ago it still proudly proclaims "Incontinents". As opposed to "Intown", I guess.
ROFL--I would have avoided that aisle, for sure!

I imagine a bunch of people unable to control their bladders sloshing up and down...

Old 06-27-2011, 04:55 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,033,767 times
This has me yelling at my radio every so often - when they give a website address in a commercial and refer to the separator character as a "backslash".

Backslashes are used for file names on your PC; web addresses use forward slashes!

Back - \
Forward - /

It's not difficult, is it?

Old 06-28-2011, 12:16 PM

44,391 posts, read 20,116,836 times
Quote:

Oh my. That is just nuts!

Here's one I found half an hour ago, as I was perusing the newspaper. Our local paper has a column called "Quickly," which is a collection of brief comments sent in anonymously by readers. This one gives your "Incontinents" sign a run for its money, skinem!

"I know a lot of people are upset with the Operating Engineers over what some believe is an absorbitant level of pay and benefits."

Exactly what are they absorbing?

Old 06-28-2011, 06:32 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,205,629 times
Sounds like an absorbitant level of ignorance...

I know my pay gets quickly absorbed by, um, life. I'm sure that's what they meant. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:59 PM

44,391 posts, read 20,116,836 times
Quote:
Sounds like an absorbitant level of ignorance...

I know my pay gets quickly absorbed by, um, life. I'm sure that's what they meant. Yeah, that's the ticket.
LOL!

Old 06-28-2011, 10:09 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,571,777 times
It will be okay -- nothing to lose sleep over. 8)

Old 06-30-2011, 10:01 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,543,412 times
I love this thread!

I just found this one on another post (elsewhere)

"While this is true, there are downsides as technology grows, industries due get left to the waste side"

"Due" was one thing, "waste side" just about killed me.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:07 AM

88,749 posts, read 85,121,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
I love this thread!

I just found this one on another post (elsewhere)

"While this is true, there are downsides as technology grows, industries due get left to the waste side"

"Due" was one thing, "waste side" just about killed me.
Oh, that was painful. I saw a reference to Nazis and a "swats sticker", on one thread, too. I was truly hoping the person was joking, but I did a search on Google, and apparently that poster is not the only one who thinks that's the actual term. I needed primal scream therapy after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.